1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Graphics Card Coolers Investigated

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 19 May 2010.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Because the latter, combined with a decent water cooling system will offer much better cooler and lower noise levels and KayDat mentioned. Not to mention in most cases, a water block is easier to fit too.

2. Combatus

We tested it on an HD5870 so you can't really compare our experience when using an HD4870. All we can say is that it was a royal pain in the rear end and despite following the instructions to the letter, it killed our card.

3. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

kind of sucks(blows) and indeed there si opportunity for significant improvement

4. KayDat

KayDat What's a Dremel?

I wonder if it had a similar issue to the S1? I mean, I personally think the TTPro is more like a chunky S1 than an L2, what with the heatpipes and all.

Edit: I just realised, in response to my previous question:
    I suppose that means you decided to limit that cooler to the 4890...but were the VRMs the only limiting factor?

Last edited: 19 May 2010
  5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The situation is annoying overall tbh.

The most GPU-coolers are not compatible to more then a very small array of GFX-cards, so each time I buy a new GFX-card I've to buy a new GPU-cooler aswell, if I don't wanna go with the noisy and insufficient stock-cooling.

The problem goes on, as the board-layouts change alot aswell lately, so the cooler which matched my old 4850 doesn't match the newer 4850 etc...

The manufacturers of GFX-cards are the ones, we need to point at. They're the ones, who don't deliver sufficient cooling-solutions in the beginning and I'm talking about stock clock-speeds here ofc.

I'm running a Scythe Musashi on my 4870, and I needed to secure the heatsinks for the RAMs and VRMs with thermal glue, so they don't fall off. The cooler manages the task of silent cooling excellent, but the card will never see another cooler again, due to the use of thermal glue.

The problem solves itself over time for me tho, as I'm playing less and less on my PC and only use it for office-tasks and multimedia, so GFX-cards become less interesting... I'm getting old.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

how about a column on how to remove the shroud for graphics cards?

not everyone wants to spend money on GPU cooling, cleaning the dust off the heatsink inside the standard shroud helps a lot

7. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

even if manufacturers used some decent TIM, and in proper amounts that would help by at least 5 degrees.

8. KayDat

KayDat What's a Dremel?

But the shroud is different on every cooler...but anyone with reasonable amount of skills should be able to find their way around, and take it apart themselves.

9. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Pretty much flip to the bottom of the board, unscrew screws, flip back up, carefully twist lightly to dislodge TIM seal, and unhook fan cable?

10. KayDat

KayDat What's a Dremel?

I think he was asking how to disassemble coolers to clean out dust, not just how to remove them from the card.

11. Xir

Xir Modder

Hmmm, from your description, it seem s the chip was cooled very well, but the rest wasn't.

12. KayDat

KayDat What's a Dremel?

VRM perhaps? Also, there's a chip in the top left of the card, to the left of the first RAM chip...looking at the stock cooler, there is some thermal tape there, but there aren't any sinks provided with the S1 or the TTPro to cool this chip. Does anyone know what this chip does?

13. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

But why didn't you use it on the HD4890?

14. KayDat

KayDat What's a Dremel?

It seems they mostly tested each cooler only on one card each, or at most one ATI and one NVIDIA card. The two main cards were the 5870 and GTX 280, with the 4890 there only as a "legacy" test, so to speak. I would've liked a more thorough test as well, tbh.
    I know most AC coolers can fit many cards...but I suppose after everything they experienced with AC coolers, I can understand why they wouldn't want to touch them again for a long long time.

15. poo417

poo417 What's a Dremel?

It does worry that so many AC coolers are able to kill cards. Take a look here
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1515486

Killing DVI ports on 5970's not good. When they work normally very stuff from AC but a worrying trend.

16. KayDat

KayDat What's a Dremel?

Gee, killing DVI ports?? How is that happening?

17. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

"But why didn't you use it on the HD4890?"

Got to second that. Though for me it's kind of a moot point as I have had a AC Twin Turbo fitted to my 4890 for the last 6 months. So far no game has troubled it.

However, I've yet to play Crysis. Given I've just got hold of the Maximum Edition which I plan to spend the weekend with(sic) I am now, to say the least, somewhat nervous!

Should I be?

18. Combatus

We only had time to test each cooler on the most recent graphics card it supported so decided to limit testing to the HD 5870, GTX 280 and HD 4890. This is why some manufacturers, Zalman for example, weren't included as they only supported up to the HD 4870.

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm genuinely shocked that the Arctic Cooling HSF's performed so badly. Any AC cooler that I've had for a card (dating right back to the radeon 9800 pro about 6 years ago, all the way through to the Geforce 9xxx series) has been fantastic, and has allowed some great overclocks on cards like the 8800GTS, GTX and 9800GTX. I've also had countless AC CPU coolers over the years, which again have been among the best I've seen. I hope these latest products are not a sign of things to come for AC :/

[edit]

To give you an idea, there are Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 8800's on all 4 of my 8800 GTS cards in the two dual card folding rigs that I run. Each of those cards overclocks from the stock 513 MHz to between 690 and 710 MHz with the AC coolers fitted, and they run 24/7. They're more stable than some geforce 2xx cards I've had.

20. KayDat

KayDat What's a Dremel?

It's not that the AC coolers performed badly, per se; on the contrary, they performed quite well, with the S1 posting the best temperatures, but as an entire package, they seem to be very troublesome.

Tags: Add Tags