1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics The 1080TI GPU Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rainbowbridge, 1 Mar 2017.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Guys, I've decided I'm not going to publish a review on the 1080 Tis as I'm not doing them anywhere near as thoroughly as I've done other things in the past. All I'll say is that I'm very impressed. Things to be aware of:

1) I couldn't seem to get a stable overclock. I thought I had one (via the Heaven 4.0 benchmark), which to be honest was pretty unremarkable, but Star Citizen kept crashing until I turned it off. I still left temperature and power limits as high as I could raise them though and the GPUs were boosting to ~2000MHz by themselves anyway. To be honest, the sheer performance offered doesn't really call for overclocking anyway.

2) Performance (stock) is basically the same as a Titan XP, as you would expect. They seem to be cooler running though.

3) The Titan XP seems to overclock better (i.e. I could actually overclock it!). Based on this, the Titan XP still comes out on top performance wise as you can get an extra 8-16% out of it - and that's on air!

Very glad I swapped out the Titan XMs for them - essentially a free upgrade!

2. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

They look lovely. So i get the card and the block and you'll cover the cost of pump, res, tubing, fittings and getting it all installed? Much appreciated, I'll pm you my address so you can get the other parts delivered :p

While I'd love to get a full loop I can't really justify the cost on top of the GPU; my existing 980 has a G10 and a H110 cooling it which keeps it cool and quiet enough so I'm hoping to go with something similar for the 1080ti. Still paranoid that it won't cool the VRMs sufficiently (same concern i had with the 680 and the 980,m neither of which had any issue) so haven't bitten the bullet yet.

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

you can always get that EVGA Hybrid cooler for £120.

4. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

so i've looked at that, and I'm waiting for gamers nexus to put up their figures on noise/thermals for a 1080Ti FE running under one (install video went up yesterday), plus they're monitoring temps on the VRMs which'll put my mind at ease that they can be adequately cooled by a fan.

I'm not as keen on running with a single 120mm radiator though as I'm using a 280mm to cool my 980, so if I can go with the G10 (which is ~£25) and stick with a bigger radiator and slower fans then i'd like to.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Yeh, it does put a big dent in your wallet. I got my water gear in a few chunks to spread the cost a bit, but all in probably cost 400-450, including some fittings and a 3rd rad I didn't end up using. But i've got slightly complicated dual loop which added a fair bit.

A quick sift through scan and I got £220 for a single loop gpu kit, which would be 70 more than if you were starting from scratch, but as you've already got the H110 it makes sense just to get a new mounting kit. A hell of a lot cheaper and a hell of a lot less hassle.

Still, does look sweet as hell sitting on my desk :naughty:

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

FYI, I've now got a choice of For Honour or Ghost Wildlands for preordering the 1080 Tis.

7. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Yeah, me too.

8. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

How are the 1080 TI cards coming up against the Pascal Titan X? I might be looking for something that can deal with 4k gaming at high settings (my 980ti does a good job, but gets stumped at the higher end). It also starts to struggle a little in VR with settings turned up on some games (mainly PCars)

9. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

:thumb:

Last edited: 20 Mar 2017
  10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Performance wise, they're equal. There is only ONE scenario that you'll run into problems at 4K - trying to run Rise of the Tomb Raider maxxed out (for which you'll need SLI anyway) as you need the full 12GB of the Titan.

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Has anyone tested it with these 'maxxed out' settings? Every comparative benchmark I can find for RotTR at UHD has been on 'Very High', with the Titan X and 1080Ti within 1FPS of each other.