1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Footballer sues Twitter in vain attempt to stop truth

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Ph4ZeD, 20 May 2011.

1. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

This is yet another example of people trying to apply laws that would've worked before we had the internet and now we have it don't work at all. In effect pretty much everyone on the planet can now tell their story to the world and there's pretty much no way of controlling that.

It's a similar situation to the RIAA and all that ilk. The courts need to recognise that the world has changed and need to change with it. I think we're seeing some of this change already but there is still some basic lack of understanding between there.

2. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Last edited: 22 May 2011
  3. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

lol I hereby rename this thread Operation: Paralypsis.

I don't get how people still think one lousey court injunction will stop something on the Internet... it's madness.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I don'g get how one court secret injuction about an anonymous person will stop reaching something any Internet service (Facebook, Twitter, forums,...).

5. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Or how people think the Internet won't be able to find out...

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

WTF is that on his head?

[​IMG]

edit: he looks like a cocker spaniel...

7. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

In the UK we like to dress up in ridiculous costumes and generally the more important you are the more ridiculous your clothes are :)

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Your politicians dress as clowns or are your clowns also politicians?

9. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I think it's mostly the 2nd one, though their humour escapes me.

10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

He hasn't just wasted his time trying to pursue legal action - he's actively made things much, much worse. By kicking up a legal fuss he's ensured that about a million more people will see it than otherwise would have (me and all of us here, for starters). Good job, Giggs!

11. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

[​IMG]

This just about sums it up for me :baby:

But in all seriousness I think that he really did make it much worse by trying to sue Twitter, just made more people interested in the case and more likely for his secret to be ousted.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

And here we have Nexxo's first law...

13. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

Might be that the laws where the server resides applies. At least seemed to be that way with piratebay until their countriy's laws got "changed". Their ability to tell lawyers to shove it in various ways is pretty interesting.

14. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Well, it doesn't seem he's alone now...

15. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Again politicians and lawyers making decisions in a new world they don't understand trying to make outdated ideas fit into a frame work that is fundamentally different to the one they imagine the country should be.

At this point I can't really have a go at Giggs as he is probably taking advice from lawyers and others and on an issue such as this, (no offense to him) he probably doesn't understand the consequences. He did what he thought was best but unfortunately he got bad advice as I'm sure any savvy PR person would have told him that this stuff always gets out and its best to let it blow over otherwise you just create a far larger story. This has gone from what would have been 2-3 days of media print to weeks of intrigue etc.

16. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Ageing footballer has an affair with reality tv star? So what? It would have in and out the papers in a day, or a week if he was up to something particularly kinky and no one would have cared. It's become so common with footballers its now a cliche.

Instead he turns it into a **** storm over freedom of speech. What an idiot. Your not that important Gigs no matter what your ego tells you.

17. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Tragically it will never work any other way. Can you imagine a legal system based on the premise that everything is available online 24/7. Jesus it'd be like handing Gaddafi nuclear weapons...

But he's a footballer and a very important Welshman, what don't you understand! His privacy has to be protected... I think the PM's standing in over these things now.

18. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like a pair of glasses.

19. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The main issue is that there is such thing as gagging injuction, especially if we talk about anynomous injuctions.

It's like saying - Hey newspapers, there is a new injuction where you can't say that anonymous had an afair with anonymous, and if you break this injuction then you go to jail.

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Agreed, the idea that these footballers (Alan Shearer now too) can censor the British press or freedom of discussion is disgusting. I actually did give a few seconds of thought to writing the above name, because it may well be not allowed. That's all round pretty disgusting that these people think they have a right to censor the entire nation just because they've stuck their wang's in someone skanky and don't want the world to know about it.

Thankfully the internet is doing what it does best, works around censorship as a network failure, nothing more. There is no way that super-injunctions can work out well for the people taking them out, because of the I Am Spartacus effect, and then also Streisand effect.