1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Ghetto^2 blaster 2, OMG it's done! Update 6.2.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Jipa, 24 Aug 2010.

1. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Yea I guess it's worth a shot.

EDIT: oh also the friend asked for a 100 Hz over pass filter. That would, in theory, cut the bass response, but as it isn't going to be audible outdoors either, it would mainly just cut off the unwanted low frequencies and prevent the bass driver from burning/maxing out too early.

mvagusta likes this.
  2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Yeah, an 80-100hz high pass xover will cull out alot of bass, and the power handling of that woofer will be greatly increased, not that is was a problem with that little amp.

But since there will be very little load at low frequencies, the power output of that amp is probably gonna be around 15-20w! So a high pass xover is a good idea :thumb:

I'd go for active/line level high pass crossover set to about 80hz, I've seen 12v versions for $10.

Because a single low frequency passive high pass crossover, would be at least $20 and at least as heavy as the two way xover you've already got.

3. Jipa

Threw a test layer of paint on the damn thing and started with the electronics. Electronics is nice as finally it's something I actually CAN do, unlike woodworks, as it turns out :D Overall it's gonna be hugely simple, I just try to make all the connections fool proof, as blowing up a battery or melting wires via short circuit would be nasty.

4. Jipa

And there you were, thinking I'd already forgot about the project!?

[​IMG]

Started with the wiring. While wood works is something I never even said I could do, such simple electronics is at the other end of the scale. In other words: if the wood parts fall apart, it's no biggie, but if there's some problems with the electrical side, I'll escape to Cambodia never to be heard of again :wallbash:

[​IMG]

The primer didn't want to come out of the can, so instead I just threw some white spray on the damn thing to see how it looks. As it turns out, the right answer is "white".

5. Jipa

Decided to get this done for tomorrow, now just hoping it won't rain too much.

EDIT: Took five hours, but it's done! Pictures coming tomorrow!

Last edited: 15 Sep 2010
  6. Jipa

I'll upload the finished pictures here as well, but the story is now up at:

http://allthemods.com/project.php?id=384

EDIT PICCIES!

[​IMG]forums

Turns out my all-round awesomeness also applies to sewing. Still, despite my godlike skills, my impression was very concentrated and retarded throughout all the pictures taken last nigh:

[​IMG]

The voltmeter and connectors are hidden under the fur. There are small cuts just large enough to make the connections and take a peek at the voltage.

[​IMG]

And here it is, ready for action! If this doesn't meet your sense of humor or rise any emotions at all then I have some bad news for you.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2010
    Cheapskate likes this.
  7. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Emotions? Yes! Mostly anger, which leads to hate, which leads to suffering. Why didn't I think of this first?!

Kudos.

8. Attila

Attila still thinking....

I love it! :clap:

9. bushi

bushi What's a Dremel?

LOL nice!

10. Jipa

Thank you so very much. Worked so well today I'm crazy proud of him.

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You Domo-kun skinned it!?!?!?!
    That is f*ckin' awesome!!!!!!!:hehe:
    +rep!

12. Jipa

One-night marvels kick some serious arse! I still quite don't know who and how came up with the idea, but damn it's so taking off now :D First day in the public and we've asked to make laptop sleeves and whatnot. Smooth.

13. Jipa

14. Moriarty

Moriarty Evil Genius

Middle of the night brainstorming sessions do produce some crazy ideas but not many that awesome. Domoblaster Cheesecake indeed.

15. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Very cool indeed, excellent use of domokun :D
    Did you put an active highpass xover in it. And did you leave out the standard passive two way xover?

16. Jipa

No, we were so busy trying to get this done in time there was no time to mess with the x-over so the original xover is still in use. Already planning the next version, there's quite a bit of things to do better, and as long as the same parts are used, it doesn't really cost anything to make new revisions :)

17. Jipa

The original DomoBlaster was a hit and served us well in the student events it attended, but it just never was loud enough... So onwards and up with a louder, larger, meaner, uglier and less cutesy blastah!

There were four things we learned about the 1st. attempt:
    1. More
    2. Louder
    3. Louder
    4. Use proper goddamn nuts/inserts instead of the ones that look exactly like they will fail the first time you try to re-open the housing... And then fail.

[​IMG]

To kick things off and give an idea of what type of build it's going to be, here's the sheet of plywood. I used the same rusty hand saw as before, which if fine, as the sheet was so twisted using a scroll saw would have been suicidal.

[​IMG]

"The Chaos Phase" when it's all just a pile of wood bits, some market with "IMPORTANT" and others just plain waste.

[​IMG]

Just to give you an idea of how twisted the 9 mm sheet was, here it's against a straight support beam. The piece if about 50 cm long and bows a good couple of cm.

[​IMG]

Parts taped together. Should give you a good idea of the general design...

[​IMG]

Carefully crafting the ever-so-important piece.

[​IMG]

With supports in place. Now it's already glued and screwed and about square. Next job will be the rear wall and installing the electronics...

As for the parts, it's going to have two 8" Visaton full-range speakers, 2*100 W (humbug) amplifier and enough battery power. Also a player for USB-memory/SD-cards and a bottle opener.

Stay tuned, it HAS to be finished by 12.2.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2011
  18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Reminds me that I still want to build some Visaton Classic 200...

/ me looks at the price *sigh*

19. Jipa

A friend of mine came over, so I made him cut the rear panel of the damn thing.

[​IMG]

Him being a crafty guy ofcourse it was a match made in heaven and the panel was just the right size

[​IMG]

Also used proper inserts/nuts this time, so now I have atleast some chances of getting the rear panel off again. :wallbash:

Last edited: 4 Feb 2011
  20. Jipa

[​IMG]

Sealed the box with a LOAD of silicone.

[​IMG]

Also messed around with the new Dremel Trio. Also worked well on 8 mm acryl.