Case Mod - In Progress Project GT500 Mod 09 mom nomination!!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Degenerate83, 27 Nov 2008.

?

What should the final colour sceme be?

Poll closed 18 Feb 2009.
  1. Candy orange with black stripes

41.0%
  2. Classic white flames going to black

15.4%
  3. All back the lightning and horse

12.8%
  4. Black with blue real flames and grey stipes

30.8%
  1. Degenerate83

Degenerate83 What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Well where to begin!

this is project is called Eleanor and for those of youout there who know anything about cars will know that this this name represents a 1967 ford shelby mustang gt500. or for those of you that are not up to speed watch gone in sixty seconds! And those the inspiration to my mod!

I started thinking about what case to use for this it needs to be big enough to hold 3 full water cooling loops and still retain a air of authority! after searching on forums and auction sites i came across my Eleanor.......in the form of a lian li pc71 server case. i had seen some mods donr on this before and they all seemed to look the part.

After days of coming up with a few drawings i finally decide to do some work on our faithful google sketch up to get an idea for the look and feel of the design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From here i was trying to work out how it may be poss to do the whole lambo door thing and thanks to a few off you ive had some ideas but allas the doors wont be lambo style the amount of strain it would put on the case is alot......plus the price off the hingles would set me back near £250!!!:jawdrop: so for time being i'm considering suicide doors or gull wings but i honestly havent decided yet.

from here i would like to thank these companies Crucial tech, Sapphire graphics and Dangerden! who have supplied a few things to get me on my way. So cheers Bill (sapphire) and Gill (crucial) also dan (dangerDen) and Bill (foxconn). if any one else is intersted in the project just drop me a line.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ok so i finally got around to doing some cutting today on my very short break from work! This is for the headlight effects at the front of the case!

[​IMG]

but in my haste i remembered that alluminium is damn tuff material and destroyed my hole cutter.......(ahh well we learn from our mistakes) i have planned out the side panel out outs as well and will cut them out in due coarse! Now it all comes down to getting my damn jig saw back!!!
    anyway i will leave it at there for the time being i will be posting again when i have some more to tell!

cheers for now!

well finally got images scanned in and on p/bucket to show the way i antisipate the project to go

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i also draw out the areas to cut out but alas no jig saw still!

[​IMG]:D

Last edited: 1 May 2009
  2. Degenerate83

OK the specs For the build will be some what close to this...... all depending how kind my xmas tips are and if the bank want to befriend me!

intel i7 920
    3gb triple channel crucial ballistix ram
    1 tb hhd
    3 crucial ssd (havent decided what size)
    2 x sapphire 4870 toxic edtitions
    vita 64bit

as mentioned before i will be water cooling everything bar ram and hhd's so 3 water cooling loops controlled most likely by a MCubed T-Balancer bigNG if time permits!

Last edited: 9 Dec 2008
  3. Ryan Cooper

Ryan Cooper It's been a long time.

Hmmm. Seems pretty good so far.

In my opinion, you should go with gull wing doors, and make the hinge custom.

I'd like to see how this turns out! [subscription!!]

4. Degenerate83

Gull wing hinge! november 29

cheers for comment ryan....also opinion is aprichiated!

So been looking about for the style of hinge to come up with for the gull wing door. problem is these things arent easy to come by put in gull wing hinge in google and it throughs up a million results for Lambo doors, but then again the princible behind it should be fairly simple.

[​IMG]

this is where the issue comes in making and attaching the hinge sholdnt be to bad. it the gas struts that cause the problem! to much preasure..........say good by to my case. not enough and the door comes slamming back down.

seems like i'll be weighing every single peice of the case so i know what gas strut to get!

in mean time am waiting for specialtech.co.uk to get some more Black Ice® GTS-Lite 360 Black
    as they seem to be only people in uk that are selling these!:wallbash:

5. Degenerate83

have just done quick sketchup of gull wing door! this is the only way i can really get around this i think. so will be needin to manufactur a new top for the lian li! least this way i could use gas struts either on a ball pivot or a runner.

[​IMG]

any other suggestions would be apprichiated tho!

cheers

6. Degenerate83

gull wings agogo!!

im sorry the title is a bit cheesey! i know i should be ashamed!

not really a build update sorry!
    on a brighter not ive finaly figured out the gull wing doors without having to tear to much of my case apart!.........one thing i noticed is we all have something in comman in our houses! no not a computer but cupboards! loads of cupboards all of which have a similar style of hinge...and if you turn it on its side you have a gull wing door... staring me right in the face for days! i thank my desire for crisps for this small revelation!
    and here it is a 170 degrees hinge....lightweight and damn tough

[​IMG]

ok so have ordered 4 of these so when they come i'll let you all know how it turns out....could be a work of art or a complete mess.....either way be interesting
    oh jigsaw tomorrow!!!! Thank god for my wages!!!

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

"for those of youout there who know anything about cars will know that this this name represents a 1967 ford shelby mustang gt500"

[Pedantic Mustang Owner Mode]

No it doesn't... it represents the awful, plastic dog's dinner of a thing created solely for the film gone in 60 seconds and has NOTHING to do with Shelby or Mustangs.

[/Pedantic Mustang Owner Mode]

Damn fine mod idea tho :thumb:

8. Dark Sun

Dark Sun What's a Dremel?

Nice specs and idea. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

9. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

I like this version better.

http://www.thalondesign.com/files/foton/bilbilder/smart1.jpg

10. Degenerate83

11. Nolimited

Nolimited What's a Dremel?

Nice Idea this project :thumb:
    Do you have already look for suicide doors ;)

12. Degenerate83

the power of a saw!

As promised i got my jigsaw back and also a nice little packet arrived in the form a 360 black ice stealth rad and 240 one. and some acryan grills and modders mesh! ( ia aint one to photograpgh everything i get sorry)

anyways cut hole for 240 rad on bottom of case
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and had to slightly modify the grill so that it wouldnt clash with the barbs! didnt realise this at first......guess should have check but happy with the way it turned out!
    [​IMG]

as for the mesh this is to go on the front facia. so i cut away the power and reset buttons to form a nice simple rectangle...
    [​IMG]

and stuck some mesh behind to get the feel of it.... it will most likely be backed by some black acrilic that still allows a small amount of light though tho. remember im putting either the mustang or shelby logo here!
    [​IMG]

window has been cut into the side panel to showcaase motherboard and still deciding where to put the sponsers window....may put it on other side yet!

[​IMG]

2morrows plans are to get the top 360 rad hole cut out and test mounting. also hinges should be arriving so will have a play with them. thinking of welding them straight to the doors and inside.

*nolimited* *darksun* ......cheers guys apprichiated! also nolimited not going for suiside doors now going gull wing!!!

untill next time!!
    cheers

13. Trip.X

Trip.X What's a Dremel?

A 240 rad+360 rad.
    What are you planning to cooling down? :p

14. Degenerate83

Power of a saw part2

Hey all

got round to cutting out roof hole for 360 rad fits nice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well got the hinges also today which proved a challenge as have had to cut out a small square hole above the psu bay and in the first day bay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

realised that would be needing some form of bracket to attach the hinges to, so have recycled the cut out from the side pannel. from this i cut out a 20cmx6cm rectangle, these will be welded onto the case next time i get a day off!

*trip x* the 360 rad will be cooling the cpu and the 240 for the graphics cards........om looking for a 120 rad for cooling the ram and chipsets 2 but still trying figure out where i will be putting this!!

anyway thats all for now folks! let me know how you think this is going aint had much feed back as yet! untill next time

Last edited: 17 Feb 2009
  15. Degenerate83

Choosing colours....and unexpected sponsership

hey all

not so much an update on the build process sorry...december is now a no go for me as being a chef....damn christmas parties

So i was looking round for someone who would be interested in doing the custom paint for this build.. i spoke to custum bike artist, car sprayers etc and no one would wanna touch the painting of this, I know i wouldnt be able to get such a good effect as the professionals could.

ok so as i said was looking for colours for the case and have norrowed it down to a few i like

[​IMG]
    candy maderin

[​IMG]
    candy orange.

for the stripes and lettering im still looking for a metalic white colour but alas still early days.

anyway when i have an actual update i will post....best get a move on only 4 months till Mfestival and i36!!

Last edited: 4 Apr 2009
  16. Pookeyhead

Can I ask a question?

Sponsorship: How does this work with a case mod? Do they fund some of the parts? If so, what do they get in return other than the publicity in this thread?

Do they have any claim to the rig, or parts of it after completion?

Explain please :)

17. Degenerate83

hey pookeyhead.... Basically there a either offering me a discount on there products or supplying some of the parts. example crucial are sending me new ddr3 triple channel ballistix when released and sapphire have donated a 4870 toxic, Nothing has been said about givong parts back, all the companies have asked for is that i can incorperate there logo's onto the case. Also the case is going to the i36/mfestival in april next year http://i36.multiplay.co.uk/ so they will get a large amount of publicity there.

I guess they see it as a good investment after all if people see something that stands out they'll remember that more than the generic box its next to. just look at any display you've ever been to... there's always something that stands out. Ive just offered something a little different being with the door system and the 3 cooling loops. its a complex system and so will draw attention.

i hope that helps a bit. but when it comes to publicity here.. c'mon ive only had 4 or 5 comments back so far lol!

18. Pookeyhead

Cool... ! free stuff. Sounds good to me.

I think people are waiting for it to take shape a little more before commenting.

19. Degenerate83

Soon i promise!!! cant mess about with this one as the door hinges are so important to get right plus you cant just weld stainless stell to aluminium. so still thinking of a way around it all.

20. spudevo

spudevo What's a Dremel?

i might now some peep who can help u out, but i may cost ya little