1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Room redecoration and new PC build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Huge, 25 Jul 2011.

1. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

so what are the lights for? for the main light in the room?
    Also, it looks like you will quickly run out of desk space, especially with four monitors, as you also have the printer, computer, mixer/keyboard. But overall, I think that you have a good plan. Will you place the computer in the corner behind the monitors?

2. Huge

Huge aka Dave

It won't fit in the corner for two reasons, firstly I want the monitors as flush to the wall as possible (so it's too big) and secondly because it exhausts air out the top and the scilling ceiling would limit air flow, something I'd certainly prefer to avoid! The printer has already left my room as it doesn't fit my colour theme and I'd rarely use it and I've decided to get one more 22" monitor instead of two more 19s so there will be open desk space, though admittadly less than there could be.

Yes, the lights are to replace the standard hanging bulb I currently have.

3. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Home from work and I find three more packages waiting for me. I'm being drip fed computer parts :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So today's goodies are:

[​IMG]

And the last part of my desk, seen here as a mock up:
    (It looks lighter because it is under the window, it is exactly the same finish. In fact, it is a desk from the same line as my corner desk.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here is a picture of all my parts so far:

[​IMG]

And time for them to all go back in my high security Bottom Drawer:

[​IMG]

Next week I'll finally get my mits on my RAM, CPU, slot loading DVD drive and most importantly... my new extension cable!

thetrashcanman likes this.
  4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Very cool build and room mod

5. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Wow, I am liking this alot, nice build/designs so far chum, great job. Something a little bit different to what we usually see on the modding section, but different is good, I'm subscribed and + rep :)

6. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Wow, thanks. Means a lot to have this kind of feedback.

Unfortunately there won't be a lot of progress over the weekend, postage costs more for weekend deliveries, plus I have a ton of university work I should have already started.

In a couple of weeks or so I will be inheriting my parent's shed (as they are getting a bigger, better one), I might add a quick overview of my plans on here.

7. ColdzeroTeam

ColdzeroTeam What's a Dremel?

wow, you made a good use of the little space you had to work with ;) very nice :)

8. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Hey, only just noticed your comment as it had to wait to be approved by a mod before it was added to my thread. I've changed my plan slightly now, going back to three monitors but am aiming for three 22" widescreens in the long run. I'll make do with two 22"s and a 19" for now though ;)

An SSD will be added either at Christmas (which coincides with my birthday) or next summer, when I can get more memory for my money. Reinstalling Windows doesn't bother me, I do it at least once a year anyway to keep my system fresh. I'm a bit of a neat freak and that extends to my computer too.

Thanks.

9. Huge

Huge aka Dave

I've remade my 3D model, it's now more accurate and includes my cupboard, doors and window. It also includes my updated monitor setup (one 19 and two 22s).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

11. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Wow, I'm in awe at that desk. It's perfect! (Except his monitors should be black, like mine.) I bet his computers are frickin powerful, running all that monitor deskspace!

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Sorry, project log nazi here. No pics of work in progress != project log. Moved to modding for now...

13. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Righto. That said, here some work in progress :) Last order turned up today and one small package came yesterday:

Yesterday's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today:

[​IMG]

And one other package for my mini: clear indicator lenses

[​IMG]

Let's have a look inside...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here they all are, ready to go:

[​IMG]

P8P67M-Pro Board:

[​IMG]

CoolerMaster GX 650W:

[​IMG]

Radeon HD 6870 Black:

[​IMG]

Intel i5 2500k:

[​IMG]

Corsair DDR3 8GB 1600MHz:

[​IMG]

1.5TB of Samsung Spinpoint F3 drives (plus my existing 500GB out of shot):

[​IMG]

Optical slot loading drive:

[​IMG]

And some lovely paste:

[​IMG]

So... time to pretend I know what I'm doing and whack it all in. I'm off to find a how to :worried:

Got coldplay pumping though the speakers, got to stay calm with all these fiddly parts! I'll keep this updated live if anyone is interested :D

Last edited: 3 Aug 2011
  14. Krony

Krony What's a Dremel?

Nice use of the space and good luck with the build :)

15. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Got quite far last night but had to stop at 1.30 when I had built everything I could. I realised I don't have the required cable to plug in my slot loading DVD drive, that is ordered now and will arrive tomorrow (more delay, grrr...)

Here are some progress pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Got everything up and running last night but had no output to the monitor. Had a little route around and realised I hadn't plugged the power into the GPU :duh: Plugged both cables in and still had no output. It was less than six hours until I had to get up so I gave in and called it a night.

Back from work today and I realise what I did. When I plugged the power into the GPU I didn't quite put one on properly. Started her up without any issues. Since then I have been working out how to install windows from a USB drive, now I have figured that out I am going to strip windows down with RT Seven Lite and install before bed.

Got RAID 0 set up for my two 500GB drives, what a stunning BIOS system! And I could use a mouse :eeek:

Tidied my cables as best I could, really wish I had gone with a modular PSU now though. Plus there aren't enough spare power cables to plug in a second graphics card in the future... I wonder if I can get a new PSU in exchange..?

Last edited: 4 Aug 2011
  17. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Well, I've bought a new PSU, went for a modular 750W one by LEPA (a sub-company of Enermax). Had some great reviews. Should arrive tomorrow, today my cable for the DVD drive should turn up.

I'm seriously considering doing some cable sleeving though, the separate multicoloured cables really get on my nerves!

18. Krony

Krony What's a Dremel?

If u don't fancy doing ur own cable braiding NZXT make some nice pre-braided extensions, here is a 24 pin ATX one.

19. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

Bit fenix do them cheaper, longer and allegedly with a better sleeving ;)

20. Krony

Krony What's a Dremel?

Yea i have seen thoes too, both look about the same quality tbh but the reason i went with the NZXT ones is all that extra length was not needed for me and just causes more of a pain to try and keep it neat :)