1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft will not apologise for Xbox bans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Nov 2009.

1. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Maybe we can find the command to brick them all! Sent by a PC Gamer, lol.

2. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

You can construct your sentence like this "If one violates the terms he agreed to...." "If one breaks them willing..."

Enjoy,
    S¤D

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

And it'll be a back and forth, costing MS a large amount of cash in the process....
    If BluRay can be cracked a mere 24Hrs after a "new unbreakable key" gets puts out.....then MS also have no chance with their Xbox.
    Apple has been 'closed source' for ages, and it can be installed onto other than MAC's, and their iPhone is constantly being jailbroken....

People may be inclined to go PS3 Slim, or just back to PC.
    Whichever, its bad news for MS.

Oh and SKUNKMONKEY, read the quote carefully, and imageine quotes afetr the link, and just afetr the "boohoo"
    He was taking the piss, so you are off a bit here...

skunkmunkey 2 hours ago
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shigllgetcha
    heres a story from yesterday on the bbc news webiste
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_10000000/newsid_10002900/10002915.stm
    poor me i modified my xbox to use pirated games and now ms wont let me play the game i robed on thier online system, boo hoo

i dont feel in the least sorry of any of these people, the game industry has basically one avenue for revenue, games sales, other industrys, music, film have other ways to make money, concerts radio royalties, dvd sales tv showings rentals

Lol, what a tit... Should have posted his adress so microsoft could go round his house and kick his ass too.

4. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

And now i'm a **** for not looking AT the link before commenting.....feck and arse.
    Apologies Skunkmonkey....#slaps one face#

5. TurtlePerson2

TurtlePerson2 What's a Dremel?

They had 8 million XBox Live subscribers in 2007. 1 million doesn't seem like that small of a percentage and that's only the number of people playing pirated games online. I didn't realize that console piracy had become this bad, but I guess it's to be expected. If publishers just stop releasing PC games then pirates are just going to move to a different platform.

6. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

The 8 million in 2007 is Gold subscribers. You're confusing banned consoles with Xbox Live gold subscriptions. I'm pretty sure a lot (maybe even the majority) of the banned consoles were silver account holders.

7. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

i dont see anything wrong with it, its written in their EULA isnt it not? , you are only banned for xbox live, its not like you bricked your console imho, if you want to play the game you downloaded before its actual release, you can still do so even if your account is banned.

8. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Either way works, it was just so the person doesn't feel like I'm targeting them as some people sometimes do even though it's plainly obvious the "you" isn't specifically targeting them ;)

9. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Can anyone else all of a sudden see a lot of 360s coming up on ebay?

10. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

They're all over craigslist too

11. schwabman

schwabman What's a Dremel?

What an abjectly stupid thing to say. You can find evidence that stealing millions of dollars from a game developer doesn't discourage the production of new games? Really? Idiotic pirates and their half-assed justifications for ripping off honest, hard-working people...

12. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Firstly piracy != stealing. Secondly there's plenty of evidence to show that piracy doesn't have nearly as big an impact as people try to make out, there's a recent news story here on Bit showing that just that (http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/11/11/uk-trade-group-says-piracy-not-a-big-issue/1).

13. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

You people realize that the only reason that these people got banned, was because they were idiots right? If you want to play a game before the release date, you make a new profile on your 360, and you unplug the Ethernet cable. and BLAM, you're safe.

and honestly, downloading a game isn't stealing millions, or ripping off developers. Drop your childish arguments. Trumping around on your high horses will never help, nor prove your points. All it does is make you look as stupid as say, the theist, or they who believe in creation. Let people do what they want when it has no direct harm to others, ffs.

14. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

If it was up to me I would brick every pirates console (even the ones that claim they own the original). I hate everything to do with piracy and im glad Microsoft are doing something about it.

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

About piracy, lets say that money is not elastic, or is not as elastic as that.

16. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

yeh let ppl steal and leech of the money you spend on games after developers spend millions making games. why not just one person go out and buy a game and well all copy it, well see if that doesnt effect anyone.

17. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Oh, come on. Enough with the half-arsed excuses for what is legally, effectively and morally theft of intellectual property. I'm not even going to argue this AGAIN but where the hell is boiledelephant's sig quote when you need it?

Anyway I'll just say good on Microsoft, they've shown the consumers that actually pay for their play that it appreciates their custom and support and that those who would rather download it can get f***ed. The response seems to have been largely proportionate - banning the modified hardware rather than the account is a well-meaning chastisement intended to get you to go straight but stick with XBox Live, which is what everybody wants, right?

Only one of the excuses so far (backup discs) has been even remotely believable - I was thinking that given the actual ultra-low cost of DVDs, perhaps the publishers could operate a swap system whereby for £2 or something you could take your scratched up disc in to a shop and swap it for a new one? That way the game company gets compensated for printing new discs, you don't lose your £45 investment, and nobody has to get Knock-off Nigel to have at their XBox with a soldering iron. The other responses excuses ("I have to pirate - games are too expensive") are all bollocks in my considered opinion. Either buying less, waiting for a price drop, or saving up are all options here.

In addition to this maybe - just maybe, I'm a realist - it will give a few thousand XBox users second thoughts about the entire process.

Is this really true?! I can't imagine anything my parents would be less likely to do than get illegal modifications made to a games console. The same goes for people who bought it second-hand, allegedly knowing nothing of the mysterious powers - the facts are these: MS only banned people who were playing MW when the only way they could have done so was illegally. Fair's fair; if you didn't know your console had been chipped, you won't have a problem because you wouldn't have downloaded MW2 illegally and tried to play it online, so you won't have been banned. The best bit of this by far is the injured pose adopted by the banned as they suddenly actually face a teeny taste of the legal consequences of piracy.

18. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I'm sorry, what crime is this now?

19. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

This is a brilliant idea, it is imo easily doable and would do away with the 'I need a backup' excuse.

You can read about a case here

20. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Precisely, 'backups' is a moot point. If you were to damage a disk to the point it becomes unplayable, most publishers will happily swap the disk for a small fee.

Tags: Add Tags