1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TribalOVERKILL's, "Blackout"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tribaloverkill, 2 Jun 2007.

1. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

Not much of an update. But yeah,... I'm getting to the good stuff. I was goign to get some work done in the studio yesterday but I slept all damn day! And it's not like I was even being lazy,... I literally woke up at the end of the day! Time to go to work again! I woke up with the worst headache too:( Anyways,... I've been thinking and planning, drawing. This update is posted as the 17th but this was like 2 or 3 days ago. I spent the whole night doing one thing,........ trying to figure out how to get the information I need about,... THE BEND. I've done this before too! For the LIFE of me I couldnt think! I eventually got it but damn! It took the whole night! Whats crazy is,... i've done this before! For the HDD front shield, the pump front shields. Whats funny is that I don t remember any of the figures I came up with?!?! Like, I dont know how I did it the last time. I'm pretty sure it was something like how I am going ot do it now but I dont know. I'm going to log all this down for next time. Anyways,... I cant go into great details with this update. But the update where I get started on the PSU shield,... I will.

Jul-17-2007

In this pic I have a piece of aluminum clamped with a large peice of angle iron. You all should remember this. Well first, I am trying to determine the EXACT length of aluminum I need to make the center shield. You see, I could easily cut a piece thats way big and then make a bend roughly where I want it and then just size it up and cut off the slack. But then how will I cut out all of the detailed stuff? It wont fit through the scroll saw with that bend. Plus drawing everything out is a lot harder too. I need to do all my drawing and all my cutting etc first on a flat piece and then bend. After bending,... it should fit right in. I dont want to be off no more no less then 1/32"!
    [​IMG]

Making sure it's squared. So important. Now,... how do I explain this, would be easier if I had an illustration. I'll draw something up for you guyz next time. But for now, for 1/16" aluminum to be bent at this radius there are two key measurents you need to pull this off. 1 - 3/64" and if I remember correctly,... 1 - 9-16". 1 - 3/64" is the length from,..... F@#$ this. I'll eplain this later with a pic. LOL.
    [​IMG]

Done. This is what I did the whole damn night! Trial and error.
    [​IMG]

Check it out. MY target height was 2". All three are off by 1/32"! Thats pretty good! There are a few things involved that can throw it off like that. When I go back I will try a few methods to try and make it dead on! The one on the right was bent crooked. I think I had to crooked between the pipes. This is what happens when you dont make sure everything is straight!
    [​IMG]

Goodies!
    [​IMG]

Copper bar! For my PSU bus bar! I'm goign ot cut them in half long ways because they dont need to be that wide.
    [​IMG]

Screw insulators! So I dont send a massive jolt through out the case! Frying everything! WhaHOOOOOO!
    [​IMG]

200, 1/4" nylon spacers!
    [​IMG]

200, 1/8" nylon spacers! YAY!
    [​IMG]

200, 6-32[M3.5] thread-serts!
    [​IMG]

Large O-rings! NOT going to tell you what they are for!
    [​IMG]

So,... this is not the only thing I have been planning too. You're going to have to go to my Case Evolution log to find out,... peace.

2. tribaloverkill

Thadeez in Berlin! Check out the image on his phone,...
    [​IMG]

WHA HA HA!!! You see Sponge Bob,... you can't win. LOL.
    [​IMG]

3. Teyber

Teyber ******

hmmm you cut that spongbob a lil' crooked...

jkjk

4. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

Tribal, you're the pure pwnage! That case is just soo slick!!

I have a Q for you, where did you get all these goodies?

5. tribaloverkill

Hold on I have more goodies that came today:)

6. Teyber

Teyber ******

where did you get all teh screws and washers and grommets?

7. tribaloverkill

You mean the flathead screw I have been using? I got those at a local store. I dont have any grommits. I think maybe you mean nylon spacers? I got some locally and bought the lots you see in the pic at smallparts.com.

8. tribaloverkill

Got a new CAMERA!!! Well a used one but it's all good! If I bought a camera like this brand new it would cost me around 1000 - 1500. I got mine for $245! It's a Sony CyberShot F717. It takes amzing pics! It has 5mp's. Takes awesome macro shots. See for yourself!

Jul-21-2007

This is the camera. I took these pics with my phone.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is how close I can take a picture with this cam! Right up on it! I really miss being able to do this. Check it out!
    [​IMG]

Got more stuff in the mail! Got all this from ebay. About $162 for all this. Look how clear the pic is!
    [​IMG]

130, 60mm x 60mm x 15mm fans. I got these for like,... $37 total. Thats 28 cents each!
    [​IMG]

Going to use these to design small compact stuff.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I got a lot of 10, 80mm x 80mm x 25mm fans. 25mm or 1" is the thickness of a common pc fan. I got the 80mm's for $29 total. Also,... I got a lot of 10, 60mm x 60mm x 25mm for $34 total.
    [​IMG]

The difference. I still have to get some 120mm fans.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10,... 40GB, 5400rpm, IDE Western Digitals for 71 total. Not the best drives in the world but they are cheap and they all work:) Will use them as props or tools for designing HDD cages and such. This way my final pics of the cages wont be empty. You know?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here are some various socket bolts that I got from boltdepot.com. Four sizes,... 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, and 10-24. which in metric is M3, M3.5, M4, and M5. The lengths,... 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1-1/2", 2", and 3". I forgot to order the button head ones. I have to do that. These are being sent to alex.
    [​IMG]

Ok,... this is for Teyber. You wanted a pic of my scroll saw, here it is! It's actually my mothers. I have to get my own. It's nothing fancy man.
    [​IMG]

The blade,... here's where I get to show off with the camera. I forgot how many teeh per inch it is. But it's quite small.
    [​IMG]

Need a close up? Here you go. You see how the aluminum rubs off on the blade? This actually builds up and catches the alunimum as you cut, picking it up and slamming it down. This is why you should use some kind of cutting oil.
    [​IMG]

This is for gruntman,... close up of the bit I use as a milling bit to cut grooves for easier bending:) Now you can see what I've done.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ok,... here's the bending thing I was trying to expain last time. You see the line with the letters? A: is the length of aluminum after the bend. B: is the length of aluminum of the bend. C: is the radius of the pipe your bending with. D: is the length of aluminum before the bend + the pipes radius. The ends of the bend are the lines before and after B. At those points the aluminum is straight. Now, you see where it says base to bend? After you make your bend. If you rest one flat side on a table and measure from the table surface up to EITHER line before or after B you get the base to bend line. For the pipe I used and thickness of aluminum,... I got 1-3/64". What is this number for? This is how you determine the length of A. Say you want this shield that has one bend to be a MAX of 10". You subract 1-3/64" from 10" and whatever you get will be the length of A. You see the line before A? Thats the very edge of your piece of aluminum. You measure from that edge. So from the edge you make a line at whatever length you get by subracting 1-3/64" from whatever your max height is. From that line you mark another line specifying the length of aluminum for this bend, which is 1-9/16". From that line you measure 53/64" and mark another line. This is the radius of the pipe your using. It's this line that you clamp your angle iron too as you seen me do in previous pics. For the length of D,... you do the same. figureout what you want you MAX length to be and then subract 1-3/64" from it. Whatever you get will be D. Understand? Now this will only work of 1/16" aluminum being bent over a pipe with a diameter of,.... S@#$! I dont remember! I cant see it in the pic either! Crap. I'll tell you later when I go back. Wait? 53/64" + 53/64" = 1-21/32". LOL. The diameter ofthe pipe has to be 1-21/32". I got this pipe froma local home improvements store so it's got to be an standard size. Right? I dont know, just check it to be sure.
    [​IMG]

More showing off,... Base to Bend, length of bend, radius of pipe.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So yea. I didnt get much done this weekend:( I have off tonight. I am going to sleep a bit and then go back and get as much as possible done. I work sunday but have monday off. I will be working all of monday too. Oh my thumbs are 180px now.

9. Teyber

Teyber ******

thanks! man i thought you were going to have some 600$ delta or dewalt scroll saw :) man i gotta get better with mine then! lol!

what are you going to do with hundreds of fans lol?

nice update, thanks for posting so many pics!!!

10. tribaloverkill

LOL. I knew thats what you were thinking! Just a piece O S@#$ whatever the hell it is. Just make sure you blade is installed nice a snug. Not to tight but very snug. If it's loose it will wander more. I am hoping to get a better scroll saw soon. My mother wants this one back after seeing what can be achieved with it. Thats what I get for showing her my work. LOL.

11. Teyber

Teyber ******

and then she will get upset with all her broken blades, and be so frustrated that it doesn't look 1/100 as good as yours and give it back! trust me.... if you go up to 100 people who are very good i a shop, none will be able to cut detail 1/2 as good as you with a scroll saw, no joke!

12. tribaloverkill

Ok,... I didnt get any interesting done. All I did was measure and measure and then I measured some more! I did some thinking too. I don't want to screw this up. I dont want to remake any of this stuff. Anyways,... I did all the measuring/ drawing I could. The rest will be measured/ planned once I start to literally draw out the center shield on some aluminum. So yea. I finished around 12pm today. I could of got started making this thing but I decided not too. Because I REALLY want to get started so I didnt. Why? Because I want to give myself some extra time to think about all this JUST in case there is something I might of missed. So I have plenty of time to look over all I have done. So yea.

Jul-22-2007

Some BS pics I took in between all my drawing and planning. This camera had nightvision so I can take what it calls night shots. Very cool shizz.
    [​IMG]

BOO!
    [​IMG]

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!! It HURTS! IT HURTS! *changing into a werewolf*. AHHHHHHHHHHH!
    [​IMG]

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
    [​IMG]

Maybe not:)
    [​IMG]

Ok to the drawings,... using what I told you guyz in my last update I was able to determine the max length of aluminumm I need for the center shield.
    [​IMG]

This is going to be the open for the hoses. It's 3" by something else. I dont know. LOL.
    [​IMG]

Oh yea,... 3-23/32". How could I forget that? You see what I did in the drawing? Instead of just saying my opening going to be whatever whatever,... I wanted to know how many holes I can get within a certain amount of space. Each hole being,... I dont know. I think their like 9/16" in diameter. So that with 1/8" spacing I lined them up! H = hole, S = space, E = edge. Thats 20 holes! I dont know if I need that many but better to have to many then not enough right?
    [​IMG]

Here's everything planned out or as far as I can plan.
    [​IMG]

Both sides right here.
    [​IMG]

This is the inner shield bracket,...... thing. Yea. Both sides. They are the same.
    [​IMG]

Center shield. This is as far as I'm going to plan on paper for this thing because there's a lot more and I dont want to waste time doing it on paper. I know what I want I just have to draw it out.
    [​IMG]

Twizzler?
    [​IMG]

My new bed! A $10 blow up mattress:) I think I'm goign to go ahead a get this COT thing I sqaw for like $50. I got this thing instead because it was cheaper and beats sleeping on the floor. Well,... I still have to sleep on the floor here and there with this thing because sleep on it is weird?!?! The floor kind of,.... i dont know. Anyways,... Im afraid this thing wont last long with all the aluminum shards all over the floor! I vacuumed most of them up but damn I cant get them all. Oh well.
    [​IMG]

Now,... I have to work tonight but have off tomorrow. Tomorrow is the day I get started. I will have actually pic of S@#$ you want to see. Cool? Peace. Oh im using 800px pics now. I made a new watermark stamp that I'll be using starting the next update. I had to make a bigger one because the pics this camera takes are huge. The other stamp wasnt big enough. Anyways.

13. Teyber

Teyber ******

oo!

damn you have so many peircings its ridiculous!

do you have"emerald" peired? lol i hope not!

you don't have a bed? bummer city dude

14. tribaloverkill

LOL. No I dont have my package pierced but I do have my nipples pierced;) MUH HA HA HA!!! As for the bed,... I have a bed at home. I need something here at the studio becausd on my days off I spend a ridiculous amount of time in here. I need to sleep before I drive home or to keep working. When I'm really tired,... I cant think. Literally.

15. Teyber

Teyber ******

ah good i was feeling bad, i was like "wheres yor home :/" i recomend going to costco and checking out a knock-off tempurpedic topper, not the mattress but a thin top and its o so comfortable!

16. tribaloverkill

Ok! Some work done! i didnt get all that mush done but I started though. First,... I was tired as hell! I went to the studio yesterday and was there at like 8pm? I got there and was looking over my drawings just to make sure i didnt forget anything. After that,... I went to sleep:( I slept the whole friggin night there. OMG I was tired. I woke up at 6am and got started. I worked till like 4:30pm. After I getting some REAL sleep I started and shortly after I started i realized something! I made a mistake! AHHHH! In the drawing,... thanks god I caught it in time! Phew. Sleep is good! To the pics!

Jul-24-2007

Got out my big piece of aluminum and got to drawing out my pieces. I need more aluminum. Finally got down to my last couple of feet. I need another 4'x8'. TEYBER! Look! An angle tool thing! I'm using it on the straight side of the sheet to start this piece. I'm using rulker against so I can draw a longer line.
    [​IMG]

Using another ruler on the very end of the first ruler to draw another STRAIGHT line at another 90 degree angle;)
    [​IMG]

First piece drawn out.
    [​IMG]

All of them drawn out. I gave these pieces some extra height and width for now just in case the shapes aren't perectly squared. Gives me room to fix them. I use black marker in BETWEEN the shapes so I dont get confused with all the lines. I just have to cut the black line in half. TFT. <---- Tip For TEYBER.
    [​IMG]

Made most of most of my vertical cuts. The one piece I didnt cut all the way because it would mean hanging the aluminum all the way over the edge to cut it at once. Didnt feel like doing that.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

All my ROUGH cuts.
    [​IMG]

Sanded the surface of the aluminum to rid of any bur. Is that how you spell bur? Anyways,... the bur gets in the way when measuring. Used a sanding sponge bob.
    [​IMG]

Now,... my ruler on a ruler thing came apart. I was gluing them together before. I got tired to regluing so its time for a permanent solution. I'm drilling and countersinking for some flush bolts. Notice the splatters on the wall. Wet sanding.
    [​IMG]

A lovely contersink.
    [​IMG]

Oh just beautiful.
    [​IMG]

This thing is now a tool! As oppose to a glued piece of something I just used here and there.
    [​IMG]

Rolled tape tube thingies placed donw on the bottom side,...
    [​IMG]

Stuck to the aluminum. notice I removed all the tape I previously stuck to these pieces with all the markings. That was to cut out the rough shapes only. I'm going to do it again to cut the EXACT shape now. But first I need one straight edge. This is what im doing in this pic. No tape needed. Just need to eye ball it. get the ruler as close the edge as possible. Thats all.
    [​IMG]

This is the ring thing for the router. Usally I put a layers and layers of tape on it to increase its height. Because the ring alone is kind of sunken into the table a bit. When cutting acrylic with the router,... when you push down in that area,... the acrylic kind of bends downward because of it. So more height is needed. I am gluing a piece of chipboard to it this time. I am also soaking it with crazy glue so it's durable. Repels oil and stuff. It works!
    [​IMG]

Nice and flush.
    [​IMG]

Here's the piece of aluminum with the ruler taped to it. You can see how this works by looking at the pic.
    [​IMG]

Straight!
    [​IMG]

Time to cut the second edge. I taped off that side and used the right angle to achieve those lines.
    [​IMG]

You see how I cut the tape away,... right up to the line? I do this because the router bit literally scrapes the adhesive right off the tape and it all cakes up on the bit. Cool photo,... ADMIT IT! LOL.
    [​IMG]

Now i'm using the smaller ruler ruler thing. You can see that I'm using a razor blade to line up the ruler with the line. This is one side,...
    [​IMG]

This is the other side.
    [​IMG]

Damn,... I'm like a 32nd of an inch off. NOT! I think im a lot less. Maybe a 64th of an inch. You see,... the right angle realyl isnt 90 degrees. It's slightly off. So that along with the fact that I could of beent off by a midge all added up to about a 32 of an inch. I didnt realize this right angle was off until later.
    [​IMG]

So,... I wasn't liking how that piece was off like that. I need to more precise way of doing it. Here's the little ruler ruler thing. I drill and countersunk it too.
    [​IMG]

PERTY. I really like this look.
    [​IMG]

Now I'm going to run it through the router like this so that both sides, front and back are even with each other.
    [​IMG]

After using the right angle to line up the ruler ruler with the line i got this! BLAH! Look how flush!!! So yea. This piece of aluminum is even with the right angle but it still not a perfect 90 degrees. Its off by a 64th of an inch. Which isnt all that bad really.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

the arrow is pointing to the 3rd side I cut. This side is opposite to the first side I cut. I marked it so I would know which is the 3rd and which is the 1st. Reason being because when I go to cut the 4th or last side im going to use my S@#$%^ crooked right angle again. I was to use the arrowed side to line up the ruler ruler for that cut. If I use the first side to cut the 4th side,... I will technically be making a trapezoid, where the ist side is exactly the length I need and the 3rd side being exactly 1/64 + 1/64 = 1/32 shorter. By using the 3rd side to make that cut,... both sides will be 1/64" short, which isnt noticable at all. You get me?
    [​IMG]

Anyways,... all 5 pieces done. Wait a tic,...
    [​IMG]

what the hell is this! S@#$! Ok,... they are suppose to be the same length. Either,... one os to long, which is what I am hoping because that means I will only have to make one cut to shorten it. OR,... one is to short,... where I will have to cut a whole new piece! ARGH!
    [​IMG]

First,... 9/16", good! That means the other to to long.
    [​IMG]

By 1/4" of an inch! I thought the 3/4" mark was the 1/2" mark. LOL. Oops.
    [​IMG]

There. All good now.
    [​IMG]

You see. They are flush. The whole 64th of on inch thing is really nothing at all. It's such a small measurement. I am willing to bet that most of your wont go any smaller then a 1/16"! That divide that by 4! LOL.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So yea. I'm going back to the studio right after work. I want to sand and polish these first before I tape and draw on them. There going to be a lot of detailed work. Which means sanded and polishing would be a b@#$%^ to do. So Im going to do it now and then spot polish later when all done. what you think?

17. Teyber

Teyber ******

good work! i see you didn't turn into a vampire this time...

Were those cuts supposed to be so crooked? jkjk

18. tribaloverkill

Small update. Nothing really cool to show you. Just sanding.

Jul-25-2007

Soot from 400grit wetsanding with the drill press.
    [​IMG]

400grit complete. I think its complete. I have to do 800grit and then its time for polishing. Goign to try and use my angle grinder to polish at least the biggest piece. See how that goes.
    [​IMG]

A close up of 400grit sratches:)
    [​IMG]

Going to start polishing tomorrow after work.

19. Teyber

Teyber ******

THOSE CLOSE UP SHOTS ARE SEXY!!!!! MAN I WANT A MACRO LENSE....

20. tribaloverkill

Check this out! This is cool! I mean not cool cool but definately cool!

Jul-26-2007

Soot from 800grit. It's so black looking. It's cool when I'm sanding because it leaves patterns on the surface.
    [​IMG]

Going to try and use the angle grinder along with a buffing wheel to see how well it will buff. Clamped the piece down the to the table. I am goign to climb onto the table to buff this piece like this. I want the buffing wheel to pull the piece of aluminum FROM the clamps. Not literally pull it from the clamps. reason being is that I dont want the wheel to catch the end of the aluminum thats not clamped down. The whee will rip it upwards possibly damaging the aluminum or even me.
    [​IMG]

The angle grinder with a buffing wheel.
    [​IMG]

As you can see I tooka razor and cut away a couple of layers to clear the guard.
    [​IMG]

You see:)
    [​IMG]

Ok,... here's my attempt. I know these pics do no justice,... but in person it looks a lot worse:( I thought it would of don a better job then this. I dont know. Going to take it to the table tabel buffer and see what happens.
    [​IMG]

Now it is very dirty but,... it's so much better! It must be the wheel size or something. Both wheels are cotton but one is larger then the other. They both spin at about the same speed. The angle grinder has more torque. But I tried buffing lightly and still it woouldnt buff as nicely as the table grinder. I dont know. Anyways,... even though its nicer. It's still not good enough:( I know I can achieve a better shine and I know that i wont be using the tabel grinder to do it.
    [​IMG]

Check it out! You can see that its still hazy from the soot left behind. It wipes off easily but S@#$!!! Look at that shine! Its a friggin mirror!!! LOL. I cant believe how well it came out! OMG! Oh,... I didn't know whether or not you guyz wanted nipple rings or a stupid cheesy smile so I posted them both. Cheers!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now this is cool. This is a test! One of these was taken using the reflection of the aluminum and one was not. Can you guess which one is what? HE HE HE! I love it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh here's how I did it! WHALAA!! Using the same same disc's I use to sand except with a polishing thing on it instead. The one you see is the cleaning one. It removes any soot left on the aluminum and is the final polish. The other one is dirty as hell.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

You know that when its time to spot buff everything when blackout is complete that I'm going to do it with the press instead!!! OMG Blackout is going to be shiny as hell!