1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Untimely Be advert

Discussion in 'General' started by Pookeyhead, 10 Aug 2010.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Cap? what cap? BE don't cap. See post #6.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

+1.

I've been told specifically by BE that there is absolutely no cap whatsoever on Unlimited and Pro services.

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

No matter, it turns out they don't support our area. Guess we'll have to take BT.

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm hoping Be* resell BT Infinity. That'd make it all worthwhile.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

+1 on that but I am not holding my breath that BT will all of a sudden drop their monopolistic attitude. They will fight tooth and nail to keep it exclusively to BT (read expensive).

BT don't like competition because they lose on price, service and quality.

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yeah, with any luck they'll be legally forced to allow resellers access to their infinity kit eventually. The EU has some uses, after all.

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Well it seems that case sensitivity is important after all... I was missing the capital "A" in Administrator ;)

Thanks and much reps to Fingers for that! My router is syncing at 1,079kbps up and 5,088 down... which is a damn sight more than the 200kbps I've been getting over the network for the past few months :rolleyes: It seems to be working perfectly now (although I still haven't had time to reconnect that workshop extension yet) and I'm getting download speeds of 500+ kbps anywhere I go on the network. I'm going to keep a sharp eye on it though... because it seems too good to be true to be honest. It is nice to be able to watch 1080p youtube and "The Movie Vault" videos in real time again though, without having to let it sit and stream up for half an hour :grr:

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

One of the links I posted earlier for the BE forum is for a stats checker. You can copy and paste the stats from your modem web page into it and it will highlight any issues it finds.

Well worth a look.

10. Unicorn

I'm actually an o2 customer, and those links are available to BE customers only :/

11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Do'h, sorry, I thought you were a BE customer.

Your modem stats are here: http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0
    The external stats checker is here: http://adsl.tin2tin.net/stats.php

Here is an explanation of what the stats are, will be the same irrespective of the ISP (same modem), this is a direct copy from the BE forum:

Uptime
    --------
    Your current connection uptime since the last resync, not to be confused with router uptime. All near-end errors persist over resyncs and are cleared on router reboots only.

Modulation
    ------------
    G.992.5 Annex A is ADSL2+
    G.992.5 Annex M US 56 is ADSL2+ with UploadPLUS
    G.992.3 is ADSL2
    G.992.1 is ADSL

Ideally you will be on Annex A ADSL2+ (if you are on a Pro product you can request Annex M via ticket).
    It seems there is a bug in the 585v7 that causes it to sometimes revert to lower modulations after a resync, typically rebooting the bebox should resolve this.
    Note: ADSL2 can result in better sync speeds for attenuations between 50 and 60.

Sync Rate
    ------------
    You can find your expected sync rate compared to your line length in this thread here.

Extension wiring is the #1 cause of issues on these boards. If you have a new style faceplate, then removing the bottom half will allow you access to the test socket.
    Connecting your modem to this socket disconnects your internal wiring.
    If you have significantly different stats in the test socket and where you usually connect the router you have internal wiring issues you need to resolve. There is a good guide by Reggie here.

Output power
    ---------------
    If your downstream output power is unusually low (it should be ~16-19) then you may be using a buggy firmware version (notably 6.2 variants).

Attenuation
    -------------
    Your downstream attenuation should be approximately double your upstream. If it isn't then you probably have a broken micro filter or a serious line fault.

Noise margin
    ---------------
    Your noise margin directly affects your sync speed, the lower the margin the higher your sync speed will be. If your margin is too low it will lead to connectivity issues.
    By default this is set at 6db, and if you have no other faults this SHOULD give the best balance of stability and sync speed.
    If your margin is very high, it means the line management process has increased it to compensate for problems on your line.
    You can request noise margins of 3-15 from be* by raising a ticket (in 3db steps).

Vendor ID
    ------------
    Some firmwares report the remote endpoint is unknown (μ, mew) and some report Broadcom (BDCM). This makes no difference whatsoever to your connection.

Loss of Framing
    ------------------
    Framing errors indicate interference, either internally or externally. Sky boxes are often known to cause issues and double filtering them may help.
    Regarding external interference, you may wish to perform a quiet line test using an analogue (17070 option 2). If there is any noise you can report a voice fault to BT.
    You can also use the DMT tool to see bitloading per tone if you suspect interference, this will show you a graph which should start high and result in a smooth falloff (high frequencies attenuate more quickly). Any noticeable gaps or troughs indicate the frequency the noise is on (and this may assist you in locating the source).

Loss of Signal
    ----------------
    Signal loss errors are either the result of total signal loss, or the framing loss threshold being met, these errors indicate that a resync was required.
    The same troubleshooting applies as above, as the framing and signal losses usually go hand in hand.

Error Seconds
    ----------------
    These will be reasonably frequent if you are on fastpath (I believe I get about 1 per 2 minutes or so).
    If you have a lot of errored seconds on an interleaved profile then this may also indicate interference as the redundancy in interleaving should take care of these.

FEC, HEC, CRC
    ------------------
    Upstream error counts for these can never be cleared by you, as they are stored at the DSLAM.
    The bebox miscounts FEC downstream errors so you can usually disregard these.
    Your FEC downstream error count will be zero if you are on a fast profile.

Throughput
    -------------
    Wireless sucks for throughput and is not at all reliable for testing your bandwidth (especially if you sync at ~10mbps+).
    You can help your wireless throughput if it is extremely slow by using the TCP optimiser or by selecting a channel that is not used by neighbouring networks (you can use Network Stumbler to search for these), ideally with a gap of 3 channels between yours and the neighbouring ones.
    If you are having throughput issues please test with a well seeded torrent or by downloading a reasonably large file from a mirror close to you (linux distributions are good for this) using ethernet.

Latency
    --------
    The second and third hops from your traceroute are unlikely to respond, this is not an issue, icmp packets have low priority on these routers.
    There appears to be a bug with the 585v7 which causes the bebox to return with 50 or 100ms responses, this doesn't seem to affect the actual trace or latency.

Hope it helps :thumb:.

12. Unicorn

Yeah, I'd found that external stats checker on tin2tin, but I can't retrieve stats from my o2 branded router. It keeps asking me for authentication, for which my username and password combination (Administrator and SN) do not work :(

I appreciate your help with this, as I really want to get to the bottom of my bandwidth jumping way down, then straight back up again.

13. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Wierd that you can't access the stats as it would tell you if you could get any more speed out of it (e.g. if the problem is your wiring) or if it is the poor quality of the line between the exchange and your house (that's my problem).

Oh well, I hope you get it sorted, good luck.

14. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Ive been with Be a few years now and got what I paid for with no issues touch wood. Its been a true unlimited ISP.

15. Unicorn

Well since the day talked about previously my connection has been syncing at 4800kbps and I've been as near as makes no difference that on the network too. Much better than before, although I still don't know what was causing the slowdown.

16. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

Source games on a Speedtouch?

this is because the router is a sack of ****, go into the 'game and application sharing' section, point 'half-life 2' at your PCs IP and it will go away
    this drove me insane for so long til i figured that out

it still gets itself into a state occasionally and just falls over/reboots when connecting/querying servers but its pretty rare

Tags: