1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the h*ll is going on with Bit-Tech???

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by greypilgers, 16 Mar 2012.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Simon, can you confirm how this ad recognizes whether it has been seen or not?

I am more than willing to stop using adblock if the problem is fixed.

2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I imagine there is some lackey in the ad department whose job now consists of reading this thread, taking note of all the people complaining about the ad, working with the administrators to match IP addresses with those forum members, then adding those IP addresses to a "whitelist" of people who shouldn't see the ad ever again. They promise. Really, this time.

Or something like that. I might have just made that up, and the real answer is that Dennis just told Simon, "Yeah, I'll fix it," but after Simon left the room Dennis rolled another cigar using his private stash of £100 notes.

The honest truth is that I'm just being mean, but I'm curious to see how Simon - and to a broader extent, Bit-tech and Dennis Publishing - responds, considering all the hate in this thread so far.

3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I ask, and if there is an answer, I know I can disable adblock again.

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Well, I've seen the ad once again this morning. I'll keep an eye on things to see if it appears again. I'm guessing the ad uses cookies to track whether it's been seen or not, so if you disable third-party cookies, it may appear more than once?

tbh, though, my issue is not just that ad full-screen appears multiple times, it's that it appears at all. In my book, taking over the whole browser window with a full-screen ad is just not on, no matter how infrequently it appears - once is too much.

5. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

It's the clear lie that the issue is fixed, rather than the original issue itself, that upsets me most now. The ad has not stopped repeating itself for me and many others since it's ill-conceived introduction.

6. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

It's not stopped repeating for me, either.

Appreciating I'm a bit damned if I answer the question, damned if I don't, I've done a 200 mile round trip to have a face to face conversation about this ad. My mistake was commenting before I was utterly satisfied things were fixed (I'd suggest that's very different to lying about it).

To be clear: I don't mind, and in fact welcome, the force of the feedback on it. Just because I've gone quiet, it doesn't mean I'm not trying to sort things out!

S

7. brumgrunt

An update.

Yesterday, I sat down with the people who had brought the ad booking in. We went through the forum feedback - which they were aware of - and in light of it, they agreed, and in fact suggested, to end the campaign a good earlier than it was suppose to. The ad was switched off yesterday evening, and I've been trying for a few hours last night and this morning, and it's no longer appearing for me. If it appears for you, can you please let me know.

I don't think, as I've said before, it's Bit-Tech's finest hour, and it's not just me and you that thinks that. I'm wary of making future promises - I've learned my lesson there! - but will say that good, constructive feedback has been really helpful here.

Simon

Blademrk likes this.
  8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I hope the ad team have learnt that full screen intrusive adverts are a very bad idea taht leads to nothing but resentment and adblocking for the whole site.

9. robin banks uk

robin banks uk What's a Dremel?

its a stupid idea i hope will never happen again....

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Apologies for resurrecting a 6-week old thread, but I've just had this appear while browsing bit this morning:
    [​IMG]
    Is this anything to do with ad team or is it random webness?

11. brumgrunt

No idea at the moment, I'm afraid. Will find out more when I'm in Dennis later in the week.

I have just put live a new advertising feature, which, following feedback on this forum, is much more clearly labelled. It's the Shaun The Sheep Nintendo piece.

Simon

12. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Annoying advert popping up at the bottom of the forums.

The content is going down and the adverts are going up. this is looking more like a spam site every day.

13. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

[​IMG]Now every page i go to in BIT I'm getting a Roll out add I have to close on every page i hit, even in the forums. Posting pic. THIS is very annoying! I don't know how to set up add block but IF i have to I'm sure i can figure it out or have someone enplane it to me. Please make this stop!:miffed::sigh:

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Just got the same this morning. Not happy about it, i understand dennis needs ways to pay for this forum and website and advertising is the only way, but come on there is nothing worse than a pop up.

15. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yea got them as well.

Apophis54 likes this.
  16. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Me too. If you close it, it reopens on the next page load.

17. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

How many times do I have to click the close button on this poxy advert? Its starting to pee me off.

There is enough adverts as it is, let alone anoying ones at the BOTTOM OF EVERY PAGE.

Does anyone know an adblocker? I'll start visiting BT less - browsing with this damn thing is like all these tacky websites looking to make a quick buck.

News: The only people clicking on the advert are those who accidently click it when trying to close it. Now I now you get paid for how many imperssions appear, but just some info for those paying the advert... no one is looking at it and definatley not clicking it out of interest.

/Rant but the advert is annoying, cheap, tacky.... bit tech swirling in the wrong direction for me.

18. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

This bad very bad. What I also find bad are the actual banner adverts that we can tolerate, if you want adverts on a PC forum, please, at least try and make them hardware related! I've noticed a massive decrease in the number of hardware oriented adverts, infact, I've had quite a few at the top of the page for River Island of all places! :grr:

19. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I can't believe people still put up with this kind of stuff when you can download one app and it's ad-free internet.

As much as we like bittech and want to support it, we don't have to accept their shaky business model.

Why should people put up with intrusive and highly distracting adverts because a few individuals at bittech decided to make that it's profit model?

People will tolerate ads as long as they are relevant and do not detract from the overall viewing experience of the site. Until you change this, people will always use tools like adblock to say no to unacceptable forms of advertising. It's the truth.

20. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I'm now running adblock full time. I managed 12 years on the internet without the pressing need to block adverts, but now more and more sites are becoming unbearable, bit included. Disappointed to see they haven't stopped since the full-page e-bay one pushed me over the edge.

I think whoever's in charge of advertising (yeh I know it's dennis) need to realise that the more annoying the advert is, the less I pay attention to what it's actually advertising. I'm perfectly willing to boycott any companies / brands due to overly annoying advertising (I refuse to use Go Compare for this very reason).