1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. DesertFox

DesertFox What's a Dremel?

This mod really kicks ass, I can't wait for it to be finished! :rock:

2. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

The Aquero does everything...

Did you read the manual for the Aquero yet? It seems as though it is really detailed. I think I am going to install mine today.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2004
  3. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

No, not enough time. Let me know how you like it.

4. modsquad

The Aqua-Computer Update

The main piece of AQ equipment I needed for this project is the Aquaero VFD and it's matching flow meter. Very nice display..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As I stated in a previous post, no black face plate backordered. The stock stainless face is nice but not for this project (I will have to see how it looks under a red acrylic cover plate). I need to get in touch with Dan at SNT systems and get a ETA for the black face. If need be I will paint the stainless one satin black.
    Secondly, the Cuplex Evo Rev 1.1 This is very pretty block. Also has to be one of the heaviest water blocks on the market!! It weighs in at 420grams. Just for comparison I looked at the specs for Swiftech's MCX64-V a copper/aluminum heatsink for the same CPU. It weight is 440grams.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The one thing that surprised me was the finish on the bottom of the block. Not that great. Its not bad and can easily be polished, but for such an expensive block AQ could have did a better job polishing the base.
    [​IMG]

I did a quick "mock up" and it looks as if I have the room for the Cuplex Evo in my case. The tube routing may be a problem. I will need to do a real mock up to find out.

And I also picked up a 120mm fan grill.
    [​IMG]

I almost forgot.. Perhaps the most important and useful item Aqua-Computer makes..
    [​IMG]

A combination fitting wrench/beer bottle opener...
    Until next time.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Can't wait to see that VFD plugged in! Shame how they designed the flowmeter with that 180* turn though... Personally I'd just set a lower CPU overheat temp as a poor man's flowmeter but it's not too informative :hehe:

6. Pistol

Pistol Guest

Now if only that wrench/beer bottle opener put the beer in your mouth, you'd be set ;)

7. modsquad

Yes, the AQ VFD is a "must have" item. The Innovatek LCD unit is very good, but no match for the Aqua-Computer. I would not think the AQ flow meter is any worse that the Innovatek set-up I was going to use. Both will restrick the h20 flow (a little). It will be slick to see a display ** meters H20 per minute on the Aquaero. I spent the last half-hour reading over the manual for the Aquaero 3.07.. I can also set-up an LED to glow brighter/darker at different temps from any given temp. sensor. (or blink on/off at a limit setting). I may make use of that function (would need to mount another 3/5mm led somewhere, or perhaps in place of the HD activity led upfront). It took a long time to get a Aquaero, but I am glad I did..

8. Dark Wizard

Dark Wizard What's a Dremel?

It's good to see that you finally got your 1st choice of equipment in the end. Keep up the good modding man :thumb:

9. modsquad

Cuplex Evo H20 Block Mock Up

The more I looked at the Aqua-Computer Cuplex Evo the more I needed to see if I could truly use it for this project. I decided to install it (mock up) and see if I would have problems with clearance.
    This was not as EZ as it sounds. The Cuplex Evo mount requires the stock metal backing plate on the motherboard, which I removed to install the AlphaCool CPU block's two mounting bolts. So out comes the pump (again) as well as the motherboard and reinstalled the stock Asus CPU mounting hardware. Then bolt it all back together.
    The copper finish on the Cuplex Evo's base was not very good so I polished/lapped it. Much better...
    [​IMG]

While I was at it I also polished the aluminium mounting plate ( screen as AQ calls it).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On to the mock up. I cut a 6" lenght of 8mm tygon to see if I was in for a problem.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks good. No problems. I am using the AQ Cuplex EVO for sure..

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  10. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Coming together nicely!
    I'm subscribing after all...

11. Pawls

Pawls What's a Dremel?

That looks great! :clap:

Where did you order your tygon hose, and what size is it?

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

*ahem* :D

[​IMG]

13. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

real subtle there nexxo; both you, and your card holder.

14. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

Hell, if I was fabbin parts like that, I wouldn't be subtle either lol

15. modsquad

Nexxo:
    I know I said I was going to make a video card support bracket (still am) just have not gotten to it. I did get a good deal of work done in the last 10 days.

Pawls:
    The Tygon tubing is 5/16"ID 7/16"OD, 1/4"ID 3/8"OD will also work with the compression fittings in my loop. I think Scott at http://www.highspeedpc.com/ has it in stock.

16. daba

daba What's a Dremel?

How did you make that card holder?

17. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

And that my friend, is a little secret that he showed in his own thread...

18. crimandevil

crimandevil What's a Dremel?

You can also order some Clearflex tubing (pretty much the same as Tygon) from McMaster Carr, Run a search for "UV Resistant Tubing" or do a search for "5231K237" and select what size tubing you need. 1/2 ID, 3/4OD tubing is $.65 per foot.

I've got a general watercooling question, I'm thinking of getting a waterblock for my video card, right now I don't know which card since I'm shopping around but I'm looking at NV's 5700/5900 FX cards. So I'm looking at the Cool FX blocks but the problem is I'm using 1/2ID tubing (listed above) so would I be able to use one of those blocks? Would it be possible to swap out the stock hook ups and use 10mm barbs? I know this might not be the right place for this but you do have the block so I was hoping you could give me an anwser based on your experience.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2004
  19. modsquad

I know all the Innovatek gear uses G1/4" thread. These 10mm barbs should be what you need.
    http://snt-systems.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=10&products_id=58

20. Sverdfisk

Sverdfisk What's a Dremel?

This only get's better and better man!
    Good to hear that you decided to use the cuplex evo :rock: :rock: