1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

free energy was my idea

Discussion in 'General' started by liquid_gen, 9 Sep 2006.

1. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

I did. Teacher didn't like me "disturbing the class" with my difficult questions. :D

And why would we need a perpetuum mobile to occupy our spare time when we gots the internets? :p

2. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

it's impossible. you cannot create energy.

what people seem to forget is that we have infinite energy available to us in the form of the sun, the wind, the tide, and gravity. Why not simply harness these resources?

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Gravity is a force, not energy. Wind is unreliable, tides are an option though, but mechanical wear and tear is an issue. We do not yet have economically efficient ways to harness solar energy.

And liquid_gen: Free energy was not your idea. John Keely got there first. And the idea of perpetuum mobiles dates back to the 8th century.

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Some would say gravity is not even a force, just the effect of a force. Which is complicated to the extent that I'm not sure I understand it, but it's something to do with mass bending spacetime that causes the force, gravity just being what we call the effect. Or something.

5. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

A fairly useless thread this - rehashing stuff discussed elsewhere ...

6. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

Do any of the scientists on this forum have an opinion about the movie I linked? I'm not a scientist by any means, but the topics discussed in it don't seem to be perpetual motion machines, at all.

7. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Mabye theis is the infinite thread?

BTW: the sun isn't an infinite energy source. It will burn out in a few years. (after swallowing the earth and so on...)

8. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

infinite energy available to us in the form of the sun

as a recap. The sun gets its energy from the fusion of hydrogen. Which then fuses helium etc. basically the sun is very limited. But for our purposes its nearly unlimited. Why work on this perp. motion and not just work on making everything else more efficient.

9. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Laziness is bad.
    I love it!
    As Smilodon and Nexxo said, these sources aren't infinite and there are other issues involved (time, cost, efficiency).

Well, technically the force due to gravity is the product of the acceleration due to gravity and the mass gravity is acting on. But photons have no mass but can still be influenced by immense masses with large gravities. Oh - my head hurts now.

Anyways, I read up on Steorn's claims, and well, they're vague and misleading at best. In their press coverage and website publishings, they use misleading arguments and then make unsubstantial claims based on those comments. At first glance, it all seems logical and then their entire arguments fall apart. One of their leading supporters and advocates that isn't affiliated with them is a quacker too. I looked more into his history, and he's "published articles" to his self-controlled domain, and published a "textbook" on vacuum "free energy" under a publisher that it turns out is under his control/ownership. I searched as best I could, but could not find any kind of ISBN for the book.

Back to the original poster - if you want to be taken seriously, write as if your reputation depended on it. Secondly, saying "free energy was my idea" is a bit arrogant and ignorant. Claims mean nothing. If you have a theory (any kind of theory) write it down. Do background research on it. Learn some scientific fundamentals.

Don't be discouraged, though. If you have any random theories in the future, feel free to discuss them. A while back someone (it was either here or on another forum) wanted to create a renewable power source with a bicycle. While some of the ideas were dismissed, I'm sure several people learned stuff from the discussion. Besides that, in science, few people get really rich. Dean Kamen is a bad example as he is an exception, not the rule. Don't know who he is? Google his name and take a look at some of his inventions.

10. xen0morph

I don't personally think think the human race is going to be around when the sun's energy runs out. Remember energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. Any 'perpetual energy' machine conceivable would only harness another source of energy in a certain form, which would not be infinite.

11. Stuey

Well, yes, for our purposes, the sun is a source of near-infinite energy. BUT what do you do when it's cloudy?

Solar cells absorb photons of certain wavelengths of light and electrical power is created. But, the efficiency is pretty low. Higher efficiency solar cells are being produced in research labs which have multiple layers which can absorb and convert the energy of photons from other wavelengths. But, they are much more costly than typical commercially-available cells.

There is research underway to see how satellite x-ray emissions can be used to charge cell phones. I'm a little skeptical about this, but I cannot dismiss it w/o learning more about it.

When considering power sources, you have to consider (at least):
    1) what's the power efficiency of the equipment/method;
    2) what's the cost efficiency of the method as compared to other energy production sources;
    3) what's the reliability/practicality of the methods.

I'm sure there are other considerations, but these seem like the major ones.

12. orb

orb satisfying.

o_O Is that true?

13. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Well, a few billion years really. 4 point something iirc

14. Stuey

Yup, it would swell up and expand to red giant proportions as it reaches a new stable configuration, and in the process it will completely envelop several of the inner planets, including Earth. It's kinda like what happens to the belly button of a person who suddenly gains 400 lbs.

15. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

Uhh, you charge up batteries in your basement while it's sunny...

16. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

You would not believe the lengths some people go through to run houses solely on wind and solar they have backs liek hundreds of 12 volts and 24 volts deep cycle Pb batteries that charge and discharge when power is used etc.

17. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Apart from Pb batteries are harmful to the environment if they aren't disposed of properly.

18. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

That is a massive insult.
    Take a look at you own country, the irish may do things backwards, but it always turn out correct unlike UK/US who do it forwards and always gets it wrong.
    I too made a design for free energy but couldn't bother getting it to work.
    Oh and that law about energy not being created is a bunch of BS created by Neanderthals that didn't know jack.
    <conspiracy theory>
    The rule was brought about to stop people making there own energy.
    If free energy was achieved the reactors/generators would be closed and executives wouldn't get new cars every year !!!
    </conspiracy theory>

P.S. firefox has a spell checker that works very well, yet another reason to dump IE.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'm sure that was meant tongue-in-cheek. Calm down now...

:hehe: I love that analogy. :D

20. xen0morph

I have a few friends at a low-impact living site up in Scotland near Stranraer called the Doon of May. They all do it there - solar panels and ocasionally wind energy to charge batteries. The secret is not to be too ambitious in your power requirements - only power what you need from leccy. Usually it's just stereo's, computers and 12 volt lighting that they use - everything else is powered off gas. A few batteries will last all night running a decent-sized sound system.