1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Ferrari Enzo tribute - 20/12/2007 - *ON HOLD*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ssR, 12 Mar 2007.

1. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Update 1
    Update 2
    Update 3
    Update 4
    Update 5
    Update 6
    Update 7
    Video Update
    Update 8
    Update 9
    Update 10
    Update 11
    Update 12
    Update 13
    Video Update
    Update 15
    Update 16
    Update 17
    Update 18
    Update 19
    Update 20
    Update 21
    Update 22
    Update 23
    Video Update
    Update 25
    Update 26
    Update 27
    Update 28
    Update 29
    Update 30
    Update 31
    Update 32
    Update 33
    Update 34

Ok guys, this is my second mod, and this time it will be built from scratch. First of all some background for the project.

It all started a while ago with my introduction to the SketchUp. I decided to give it a try and design a custom case. The idea proved to be pretty good as the design got some positive feedback on some other forums

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]

The design took place during the completion stages of my first project, AquaLight. Later on, after the AquaLight was finished, a friend of mine hooked me up with some old full tower case. The case was very basic and made me drop the custom case idea for a while, while i was trying to come up with some original ideas for my next mod. Now it was Bill "mnpctech" Owen turn to come to the rescue and offer a theme mod. And the theme would be... well you guessed it, Ferrari case :). The reason was that "he never saw a properly done Ferrari mod, and he felt that i could pull it off, (I must admit it felt pretty darn good to hear that from a true master). After some sketches i came to conclusion that such a project deserves to get a custom built case, and at that point I went back to my original SketchUp drawings. I felt that the basic design i came up with would compliment a Ferrari themed mod much more than a tall and slim full tower case, due to its low and wide nature.

After some redesigns i decided to keep the basic shape and add some modification that would compliment the Ferrari nature. Here are some drawing that I came up with

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to make the panels out of 6mm plywood covered with fiberglass. I started off with making a base for the case. I cut a 600x500mm sheet of plywood and covered 1 side with fiberglass, eventually vacuum bagging it.

I used a piece of glass as a base to give the fiberglass coating a glass smooth finish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

applying mold release wax on the glass
    [​IMG]

This is the mobo tray i took from that old full tower case i was brainstorming earlier. It also got slightly modded as i cut off a few areas to make it shorter and only use as little space as possible
    [​IMG]

Wetting the fiberglass with epoxy resin. I use a bondo spreader to evenly distribute the resin over the fabric
    [​IMG]

After i finished i placed the plywood sheet on top of the fabric and vacuum bagged it
    [​IMG]

And a closeup
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Apr 2008
  2. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

This mod reminds me a lot of the hangar 101. But great sketchups. Keep it up!

3. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Judging by your last case, this one should be good. I'm glad you're doing a scratch build too since your custom work should be excellent. I've very much looking forward to watching this.

4. sparkyftw

sparkyftw What's a Dremel?

I can't wait for this to be done.

I am jealous of your access to carbon fiber and fiberglass and stuff, lucky job of yours.

5. cyberspyder

cyberspyder Canuck

I hope you're going to paint it Ferrari Red...AND get a Ferrari logo for it.

6. ssR

ssR Carbon God

jegerjon: actually the original design was pretty much inspired by Hangar 101. I saw a huge potential for the watercooling in this project and got permission from Sleepstreamer (the guy who built hangar 101) to take some ideas from his mod. But you will see that the final result wont be similar to his mod AT ALL :)

greensabbath: thanks dude, I do hope I won't disappoint anyone here as my projects might seem a bit messy at first but the final result is what counts ;)

cyberspider: of course i will :D

I released the bottom from the vacuum, and after trimming the excess fabric and resin leftovers i was very pleased with how it came out. Next in my "to do" list was to make the rear panel and thats what i did. Here are the pics following my progress for today

Trimmed bottom
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting to work on the rear plate. Drilled holes for the jigsaw. The PSU will be on the right side while on the left ill make a meshed exhaust opening, so once everything is done with the Rear plate cover it will look symmetrical
    [​IMG]

Fitting the mobo tray after rough cutting
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm planning to make rails for the mobo tray using rohacell covered with glassepoxy (the same stuff PCBs are made from)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear plate after some sanding
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it for now

7. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Minimodder

Looks nice! Just started modding myself. WTB industrial machines and real tools lol :p

8. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

I liked your plastic working skills in your previous project and waiting to see more that "magic". :D

Nice design also, keep up the good work! :thumb:

9. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Thanks guys :)
    Evenge: my last project involved only some basic plexi fabricating, no bending or whatsoever was involved. This project wont have too much plexi parts, it will be mostly about the shaping and bodyworking, and of course the interior design :)

Today I decided to concentrate on the top section of the case and i made quite a few changes from the original design.

First i gave up on the triple rad i wanted to squeeze at the top. I decided to go with a 240 slim rad and another dual 80mm rad to compensate for the loss of the 3rd 120mm which will be integrated into the waterloop.

The top section was redesigned completely. Here are the pics of the progress for today

top section frame
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made some cardboard support ribs for the top, they will be removed once the whole structure is complete and reinforced
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

cardboard templates for the top front and top rear sections
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also cut the panels for the lower section of the case to size and hopefully will begin the assembly this weekend

This is the front panel with the intake templates in place
    [​IMG]

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Nice project. BTW, Geil One is TCCD. :p

11. ssR

ssR Carbon God

No they got 2 models, 1 is BH5 DDR400 and the other one is TCCD. i got the cheaper version (still managed to OC it to 500mhz at 2-2-2-5 timings :p)

12. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

the design does look a lil bit like the hanger project, but this is going to be a lot better :D.

Good luck to you, but i have to say the complaint about the color again. Gotta go ferrari red, not the blue thats in the sketchup model.

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Oh aye. Nice stuff, not the best OC with BH5, but I'll warrant it's mighty quick with that. What bandwidth do you get?

14. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Damouse: dude its only a sketchup model of the original design. the finished thing will be nothing like it. and in case you havent noticed in my previous posts, i said that i will paint it in ferrari red color and even make a custom logo :)

Krikkit: i never tried to break any records, i just wanted a stable OC :). and what do you mean by bandwith?

15. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Ok guys, I can tell you that the early stages of this build will make you go "ok... this is... ehmmm... "interesting" ", and yeah it won't be spectacular at first, and it wont be too clean either, but I can assure you, the end result is what will count :D

I finished the basic assembly of the top section. All the parts were cut with jigsaw and sanded on an industrial belt sander. I will remind you once again, at this moment its very rough and will be sanded and cleaned

After cutting all the pieces to the size, the structure was assembled, I used a few drops of CA glue just to secure the pieces in place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Afterwards all the joints were filled with 3M 460 epoxy and reinforced with fiberglass strips
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the internal joints were filled with 3M epoxy aswell
    [​IMG]

Next stage is to sand the whole thing and cover EVERYTHING with fiberglass for additional strength

See ya soon :)

16. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Minimodder

cant wait to see the fiberglass coating! sounds very nice :).

17. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Mr-IK: this will have to wait for now, there's a slight change in plans :)

Now for the update. I worked very little on the project lately but i got some things done.

I sanded the top section and figured out a way how to connect the top and bottom parts. I also began gluing the panels on the lower section of the case. Hopefully tomorrow I'll complete the basic structure and get to the fun part, the intakes and interior design :)

Again sorry for the poor pics quality but I'm unable to use my camera at work during the day

the sanded top
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is how I'm gonna connect the top and bottom sections. those are called multilocks, they are used in r/c sailplanes to connect the wing sections.
    [​IMG]

I glued 4 pieces of plywood in each corner of the top section and drilled the holes where the male multilocks will go. the bottom will later recieve the female parts
    [​IMG]

Gluing one of the side panels to the base. must be a perfect straight angle :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cya next week :)

18. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I like it :) Wood in cases is always a good thing imo

19. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Mother-Gooser: thanks :). Actually the wood I'm using is very cheap plywood, but it won't matter once it will be covered in carbon and fiberglass.

I glued the remaining panels for the lower section together. I also cut out the holes for the front intakes, using jigsaw and sanding it with die grinder

The front panel with the intake cutouts
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gluing the remaining panels. I wish the epoxy I'm using would cure faster, it takes about 5 hours for it to cure :(
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that the basic structure is complete i could move on to the interiors. I started making mockups for different parts inside the case, such as PSU cover, DVD drive support etc.

The finished structure. Yeah you saw it right, i will be using 2 PSUs, one for the hardware and the other for the WC system
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The insides
    [​IMG]

Making a PSU cover mockup from cardboard
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And thats how it's gonna look inside the case
    [​IMG]

Side skirts and air intakes template
    [​IMG]

Optical drive support
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the parts will probably made from aluminum covered with carbon. This is not the final decision of course, I might change my mind at some point

Laters :)

20. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

Even your mock-up work looks professional grade. Nice work so far, I'll be following this one closely.