1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Rogue (NZXT Rogue SFF) It lives! Aug 13, '08

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 28 Feb 2008.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

most likely 'dont you dare bukaki me'

2. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

There's no way I'm going to tell her what that means... :worried:

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

*cringes* Sheesh, that took it a bit far, lol.

4. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Lol that was rather too far... :eeek: :p

Tell her 'Hi' from me. :)

But I must say, I really am loving the way this case is turning out - the tubes look awesome. Will you be dying the tubing itself, or will you be letting the coolant do the talking?

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i think she knows how to google.....

6. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

My thoughts also.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

knew that would get a funny reaction! lol!

hows the case and basement going?

8. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

I believe the correct spelling is 'Bukkake'... :p

9. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Only because you'd have to explain why you know what that means... :worried: :hehe:

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it is not that bad, according to wikipedia:

:worried:

11. Elio

Elio What's a Dremel?

so that's what it means...
    no... you cant make it look good ...
    every one here knows the other meaning and it's gone way too far from the basement...
    so craig how's the pool idea going on...:lol:?

12. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Wait a minute!! I missed the part where he said he was heating his pool with his computer!! Dude, that's one hell of a reservoir!

13. Elio

Elio What's a Dremel?

Well i didnt think about that...i meant a real pool since he already dug out half his yard...
    but hey that a hell of an idea!
    and with a reservoir like that i dont think the water can ever hit ...a few hundered galons of reservoir is one crazy arse water rig...:D(whats the size of pool?)

14. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Wouldn't even need a radiator.

15. craigbru

Holy thread derailment Batman! Lol, I don't even know where to begin to respond to most of these... :D Sooo... I'll try to get it back on-topic here. I did manage to get a little work on the Rogue done over the weekend, but most of my time was spent on the basement. My goal is to get paint on some of the walls by this weekend. We'll see how that goes! (Oh, and the kids would love a pool! Using it to cool a PC might affect the rig's portability though... :D)

Regarding the Rogue, I do have some pictures to upload tonight. Unfortunately, I ran in to a little complication during assembly. It turns out that the mounting location for the Via system interferes with the contacts for the fans. Due to the way I fabbed the Via's mounting bracket, relocation wasn't an option. I needed to fab a revised mounting bracket. I've got most of that work done, and am hoping to finish it tonight. I'll get pics up as soon as I can. So, how did I miscalculate things to begin with? Well, almost everything was planned from the start, but the spring contacts for the fans were a late idea addition. It wasn't until I started putting things together, that I realized the problem. Oh well, you live and learn. :duh:

Last edited: 16 Jun 2008
  16. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

There are always the tiniest things to go wrong ey lol. Sorry to hear about the bracket mate. At least you found out now and not when it was all ready to go.

17. craigbru

Yeah, that's about the gist of it. I really hate it when any progress ends up being a wash... I keep looking at the calender and thinking of my new deadline, less than two weeks from now. :eeek:

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

at least it was just a bracket at fault! it could be worse, such as actually running out of room!

cant wait to see the pain of the leak testing, and the ripping it down and reassembly to only rip it apart again, and after a whole week of pain, you just cry....

on a lighter note, keep going!

19. craigbru

It may have been just a bracket, but that silly thing took way more time to fix than I had hoped. The good news, is that it is now finished, and I hit it with a coat of paint last night. I can follow through on more assembly now. I've got pics ready to upload, and am really hoping for an update post tonight! :clap:

20. craigbru

How about some more assembly? I've got several small things that I've been working on. Not a single one of them are very large (well, with one exception), but they all are needed just the same. So, let's get on with it!

A few posts back, I mentioned needing to make a new mount for the Via system. The following pics will show you exactly why.

The fan assembly on the case...

[​IMG]

Here you can see the problem. The VGA output on the Via, is directly below where the contacts for the fans need to be. There was no way to modify things to fit, so a new mount was needed.

[​IMG]

Here I've got the new mount marked out, and ready for cutting.

[​IMG]

Cutting done, and ready for bending. (I'll get the finished pics up tonight hopefully)

[​IMG]

After the bracket was bent and painted, I decided to move on to a few other things while paint dried. One of the things I did, was to drop the auxiliary PSU in to place and double check fitment. Fits like a glove!

[​IMG]

There is minimal clearance on both sides, but it's pretty much what I expected.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another small project... Due to the numerous wires surrounding the motherboard's 8 pin connector, it was virtually impossible to connect the PSU cables after assembly. Obviously, I wanted the PSU to be relatively easy to remove. So, to fix that little problem, I bought a pair of 8 pin connectors...

[​IMG]

I found a suitable location on the PSU cable...

[​IMG]

I painted the connectors black, and installed them inline... I can now plug in the PSU cable, in a much more convenient location.

[​IMG]

More coming soon...

Tags: