1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware HP LP2475w - 24in widescreen TFT review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 28 Jul 2009.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

AFAIK the colour gamut is the same so 92% - there are no new specs for this supposed new revision, we're merely going on our findings from our usual tests.
    When switching to sRGB the colours and brightness are noticably diminished but the main effect is a creamy tinge - not horrendous but pretty bad compared to a few mins spent tweaking yourself.
    Cleartype is enabled and the fringing is much improved as far as we can see. There's still some evidence depending how you've set it up, but compared to the previous example we looked at in CPC a few months ago, there's no comparison.

2. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

@Combatus,

Thanks for that, these are the issues I've seen asked about time and time again :rolleyes:

3. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

nearly everywhere recommends you put the monitor into custom colour mode and configure it yourself rather than try and use the presets.

i defo want one of these things badly! waiting on the student loan..........

4. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

I considered this monitor recently but decided on the NEC 24 LCD2490WUXi2 instead.

http://www.pcbuyit.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=686

Yes it costs a bit more, but it looks beautiful compared with the HP (the stand especially), but also because in my research I found too many people complaining about about the HP model you reviewed - whether the units failed / or poor customer support / made squeeling noises etc ! Whilst I found the opposite when researching the NEC models... plus the NEC has a better panel ** which you are paying extra for **

Anyways.. it has arrived and its the most beautiful screen Ive seen. I also have an iMac 24" which also has a beautiful screen as well and can definitely recommend spending extra on such screens.

My previous screen was a Dell WFP 2407 PVA model which was quite frankly rubbish in comparison the either the iMac's screen or the new NEC.... You just dont know how bad until you see the newer models next to it ! Let alone the Samsung TN 22" panel I have upstairs on a spare machine.

5. Combatus

No problem!

6. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Well, the point is that it's not really close to getting 10/10, in fact, the 9 it gets is rounded up, the exact score it got was 8,67. If that's really close to 10/10, i need to go do another report card collection round with my grandparents :D

Really though, i'm just nitpicking ;)

7. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Is there any plans for a newer 24" 120Hz 1920x1200 screen from HP, NEC or any other manufacturer.

It's either that or an OLED screen I am waiting for.

What happened to OLED screens by the way? Were they not supposed to be the big thing of 2009?

8. Radical_Monkey

Radical_Monkey Dremel > Lightsabre

Great review! Really tempted to get this with my first payslip! Just thought id point out that the UK store link is actually the S-IPS model and not the H-IPS one.

9. Deadpool46

Deadpool46 What's a Dremel?

Great article, nice to see this monitor finally reviewed.

In regards to the lack of input lag of the new revision, what revision did you have on the model tested?

Thanks, Mike.

10. Combatus

To be honest I'd still check the manufacture date - even HP still list it as S-IPS so the likelyhood is retailers might just copy and paste the specs - best to check.

Ours is REV:GIG143. Unfortunately we didn't note the revision of the older sample down as it had to go back in a hurry.

11. Deadpool46

Thanks for the reply!

Just checked mine, built in June 09 with Rev: GIG143, so that's good.

I did buy the monitor off the back of the Custom PC review and wondered why I didn't really notice any lag in TF2.

Cheers, Mike.

12. SuperNova

SuperNova What's a Dremel?

I have the LP2475W monitor and I absolutely loves it! I haven't had any problems with inputlag on my monitor... How do you tell the "old" revision from the new one?

13. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

IF you use the PC a lot, and IF you want a 24" screen for reasonable money. Get this.

That's my review of this screen. It's a pleasure to use.

Also I have no idea how any "enthusiast" will say £400 is too much for a screen?! If you don't care about the image quality then sure you can just grab a £100 pile of utter ****, 400 is NOT much for a proper screen.

14. mauvecloud

mauvecloud What's a Dremel?

I'm still waiting for reviews of some of the alternative 30 inch monitors (besides the NEC model which they already reviewed)

15. Deadpool46

At the back of the monitor, in the bottom left where all the manufacturer details are you'll have something labelled 'REV' and the one tested here is REV:GIG143.

16. Combatus

That's good info thanks. Being a die hard FPS fan I noticed the input lag straight away when I looked at it for CPC and sure enough it had about 30ms of it. This one felt different from the outset.

@SuperNova - the revision we've reviewed here is GIG143 stated as March 09. So long as you make sure you purchase a model with a manufacture date after this, we'd hope you'd end up with the more capable panel.

17. Xir

Xir Modder

1st.
    well, over here it's 440£

2nd.
    I know, many car-enthousiasts think S-Class Mercedeces are sincreadibly great value for money....but I'm not buying one either. Are you?

Okay, so there are cheap panels out there, but noone test's them, because hey, they're not as good as a Dell 2408WFP / BenQ FP241W or this one.
    Still that's no reason not to test one for the "budget-gamer" end of the market...

Screens like the Acer V243H bd, Asus VK246H / VW246H, LG Flatron W2442PA which all are said to have decent picture quality.

18. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

I have had 3 of these HP Lp2475w monitors and all of them were faulty, the first 2 had bugs in the fireware (GIG045), when I sent the first one back they never bothered to check the replacement for faults and it had exactly the same fault; I sent it back and got a refund and bought an NEC Multisync 24WMGX3. A couple of months later I bought another LP2475w (firmware GIG068), this time there was a pink/green tint on the screen, so sent it back and got a refund and bought a 2nd NEC 24WMGX3, my experience with the LP2475w has been lousy, to say the least, the HP quality control is dire! I have found the 24WMGX3 to be a better all round screen.
    ________
    Park Royal 2 Condo Prathumnak

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  19. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Wow, great to see nice IPS panels being made with no input lag. I was lucky enough to get two 20" Dell 2007FPs before they were discontinued. They have at most 16 ms input lag, which is not noticeable. The 16ms response time is an issue but I've gotten used to it. The fantastic gamut and viewing angles have made it more than worth it. I'm glad to see an option that's even better.

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Time to grab this once I sell my current monitor, which I "think" is a PVA panel...

Anyone know if a W2607C is a PVA?

Tags: Add Tags