1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Bring on the Remakes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 3 May 2010.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

GTA4 not enough for you?

really, really want a Freelancer sequal/remake. it's got a pretty arcade style, so im sure those console kiddies won't have a problem with it.

Fizzban likes this.
  2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

evil genius should defiantly have one a great classic, and you can buy it on steam ;)

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I am content with my FF3 and FF4 remakes for the DS.

Well... maybe a remake of FF6... hhhhhrrrrrmmmmmmmm. PC only with Crysis-level graphics, perhaps an online party vs. party PvP aspect.

Oh dear, I'm drooling.

4. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Am I the only one that actually liked Too Human then?

5. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

How could one write an article about remakes without mentioning System Shock, System Shock 2, Thief and Deus Ex, to name a few? Sure, they're still playable but how much more enjoyable would they be with updated graphics, physics, etc? Remakes are also good opportunities to fix awful control schemes and character handling (e.g. Tomb Raider).

It seems a clear indication that publisher executives haven't really got a clue what they're doing when they would have guaranteed winners with such projects (not to mention games crying out for sequels, e.g. Anachronox, where most of the work was already done and it could surely be done at low cost. I wouldn't even mind it being done in the old engine).

There was a good article on bit-tech a couple of years ago listing games that should be remade - it might be good to link to it in the article for further reading. (LINK: http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2007/01/22/games_that_should_be_remastered/1)

By the way, the problems with Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines are very much over-rated. I played it on release, and while texture flashing and the like was very annoying and really inexcusable, I only encountered one game-ending bug for which there was a simple work-around. The load times were excruciatingly long but that was due to a lack of RAM and unlike other people, I didn't blame that on the game itself. There is really nothing to put people off playing it, especially as there is an official and unofficial patch now (I've had far more trouble with Bioshock 2 recently). Rockpapershotgun in particular unfairly criticised it for 'broken final levels' when in fact it was clear that the writer merely hadn't levelled up properly.

Last edited: 4 May 2010
  6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I couldn't agree more.

7. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Because they arent popular enough to support the high development costs usually associated with those game types (where detail and size are king).

8. Santa-san

Santa-san A friendly person

Well they remade an old favorite of mine, Monkey Island so I don't know what I would like to see more =D Kings Quest games would be nice

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

10. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Isn't there a similar issue with future NOLF games where Fox Interactive holds the rights for the games while Monolith has become part of Time Warner?

Either way, it's another series should make a comeback.

11. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

Mechwarrior has been redone in Mechwarrior: Living Legends. It's a Crysis mod and it's pretty damn good.

I'd love to see an RPG like Vampire Bloodlines done with modern tech. Even with the latest hardware and the current mods (which are still getting released for it) Vampire Bloodlines still looks a bit ropey. Animations are bit nob and so on. The characters look okay though just about.

12. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Piranha Games are working on a franchise relaunch for Mechwarrior, announced July last year. The last I heard in September they'd hit legal problems over some of the mechs being too similar to some of the Robotech designs (the so called "lost mechs" removed from MW4), the same thing that stalled the MW4: Mercenaries free release.

As the MW4 free release was available from Friday and definitely has the missing mechs added back in we can only hope that it's been resolved.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Final Fantasy VII. Without any shadow of a doubt. I wouldn't care if there was no voice acting and the text remained - I wouldn't even mind all the mis-translations still being there.

A remake of FFVII would be the only thing to get me back on a console. I have been accused of fanboyism in the past, but in the case of FFVII I would quite happily apply that label myself.

14. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Its not necessary from a gameplay point of view but I would really like to see Half Life with some fresh paint

15. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Homeworld series also deserves a sequel. i want another mission with a sphere of frigates and unlimited unit capture cap. i had 100 ion frigates going by the end of HW1

17. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I don't think this generation of games is worse than the last but I agree with the Final Fantasy statement. 13 is the worst I've played (but still keeping me playing to see how it ends and to watch the pretty CGI sequences). I'd LOVE a remake of FF7 more than any other game!

I love it when old games I loved get given new life and a high resolution facelift!

18. kondichael

kondichael What's a Dremel?

Generals Zero Hour!

19. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

There was a Half-Life (1 or 2?) mod that was a Duke3D remake, but 3DRealms got that shut down.

20. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Milking franchises and remaking games into shooters are the worst things a game company can do for me, no more COD andd Guitar Hero games every year, and stop making every old game into a "atmospheric FPS". Getting REALLY old, piracy isn't killing PC gaming lack of innovation (catering to console crowds) is.

Tags: Add Tags