1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The iPhone 4 / iOS Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 7 Jun 2010.

1. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Anyone here actually experiencing problems themselves with the iPhone4 and how you hold the phone?

I've had no problems whatsoever but my co-worker wont stop complaining about it. We swapped phones earlier today but he wasn't able to replicate the problem on my phone and I wasn't able to experience the problem on his phone.

Very odd.

2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

As I mentioned before, no probs here - the only time I've seen the grip of death have any effect on my phone was in the office canteen which is pretty much underground.

and that's with or without a bumper

3. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

I'm becoming tempted to join the shiny side, and have a few questions:
    Do I have to use itunes (used to have it on my old PC, and had nothing but problems with it)
    Is it possible to get flash working on it.
    If these are possible, I'm aware that I'll have to jail break it to do so, where do I stand with regards to forum rules and discussions about this?

4. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Yes - But there are clunky workarounds.. and iTunes has come a long way since days of yore.
    No chance.
    Jailbreaking is a grey area, it seems the general consensus seems to be; feel free to talk about it, just don't expect to link to pwnage tool etc directly. However feel free to google the following things..

redsn0w, yellowsn0w, blackra1n, pwnage tool, the iphone dev team, jailbreak.

5. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I finally managed to get into apple store today to have a look at the iPhone 4. That screen is just lovely, I need to get one now. I did notice that it was a little heavier than my 3GS which was surprising but it does feel solidly built and looks amazing.

6. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

At the moment, I'm avoiding places that carry the iPhone 4 like the plague...

Wanders off muttering "You can't afford it now... you can't afford it now... just wait... you'll have it soon... our precioussssss

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i feel jailbreaking can be talked about freely. it does not break any law, it is simply a personal preference.

i am closely monitoring jailbreak for iphone 4, so any question you don't feel like posting openly, you can PM me. before you ask, it's not yet available for iphone 4, but it is available for all other iphone/ipod touch.

regarding holding the phone, no problems with it at all. well, i do have a bumper case, but have tryed to reproduce this many times without success.

8. Tom @ CCL

Tom @ CCL AKA: Yewen

Any news yet on when they are going to be out of constraint?

9. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Guys, I really need your help here.

My mum has decided she wants an iPhone now her contract is up on Vodafone (she has an iPod touch and loves it, but doesn't want to have to carry a phone around as well), but unfortunately I know nothing about them and I'm struggling to figure out which network/tariff offers the best value for money. From what I've seen from a quick look around they all seem to be pretty similar with O2 and Vodafone being the cheapest (she doesn't need many free minutes at all, only texts). She'd prefer to stay with Vodafone since she knows she can get reception most places in the world with them (she works on cruise ships, so good worldwide reception is very important), but could probably be persuaded to change if there's a better offer elsewhere. If it helps, since I work for Tesco I can get 10% off the handset price and 10% off the monthly cost of their tariff, but it doesn't seem like their prices are very competitive.

She only needs 16GB of storage, but I was also wondering if the iPhone 4 was worth paying the little bit extra for over the 3GS? It seems to be only £20 more for the iPhone 4, but the extra features aren't that interesting (higher resolution camera/video etc.), and I'm worried about the reception problems I've been hearing about (though I know not many people have had that problem). Would there be any problems running the latest version of the iPhone OS on a 3GS? Is the hardware fast enough to run it without problems? How do the battery life of the two compare? On paper they seem similar but the guy in the Vodafone shop insisted the iPhone 4 had vastly improved battery life :confused:

Please help, I'm very confused and don't know what the best choice would be...

11. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Get the iPhone 4. It's significantly better than the 3GS. The screen's a much higher quality, the device is more stylish, it's faster, it'll be better supported going into the future, it's got a slightly better build quality etc. If the price difference is £20 you'd be stupid to buy the iPhone 3GS. The batter life is better on the iPhone 4, in some tests it's up to about 30% better.

12. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Just remember roaming data prices are painful...

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

iPhone 4 is significantly better than 3GS, getting an old 3GS is plain stupid if you are going to sign your life away.

there shouldn't be any problem running iOS 4 on 3GS, it's essentially only 30% slower, but it has less RAM (can't do as many multi tasking, but no one will notice), worst battery life of all is 3GS, it's got fast CPU but smaller than iPhone 2G in battery.

also be aware that buying iPhone 4 on contract will not be unlocked, might decrease its value in the long run

14. GreatOldOne

15. Riddick

Riddick Percussionist

I have to be honest and say that whilst I think iOS4 is quite an impressive bit of software I do feel it's a bit too late in some respects.
    For example multi tasking - been around for ages
    Facetime - Video calling has been around for ages too
    I could go on but I just wish Apple would claim to include 'revolutionary' features when they've been around for quite a while, even if the implementation is very slick

16. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

Fezes are cool :D

17. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

18. GreatOldOne

Another couple of reasons to be with Three?

When I signed up for Three on iP4 launch day, I chose the £30 tarrif (500mins, 5000 texts, effecively unlimited 3 to 3 calls, 1GB 3G Data).

All of this was confirmed on screen on the three sign up system. Hunky Dorey, and was happy with it as it was a much better offer than rolling over my existing £35pm O2 contract.

I got a text from three telling me that they'd be collecting my first monthly payment a couple of days ago - this was for £19.94, and that payment would be taken 19 days after the billing date. Didn't pay this much notice, as I guessed it was a pro-rata thing, and by the time they took payment that would be about right.

Anyway - got my paper bill yesterday, and it informs me that I will be billed £20 per month, and gave the dates per month that it will be taken. All the other details where as per the sign up screen.

Have three suddenly dropped the price of the tarrifs again? £20 wasn't even an option on a contract phone. :eyebrow:

Anyone else been pleasantly supprised?

Also - It seems as if they've upped my data allowance - on My3, it tells me I've still got 1,491Mb left on my data this month...

19. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

@GOO Three may be giving you a reduced price for the first 3 months, they have done this for my 3 contracts and IIRC my mobile broadband contract

20. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

Nope :(. I still see my data remaining as around 600MB, and I've used about 400. For some reason the bill is £36 this month, which is odd as it's a £30 contract and I haven't done anything outside of the contract...