1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming You will never be "good" at StarCraft 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 29 Jul 2010.

1. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I've had Starcraft for years and only played multiplayer once. Getting beaten in the first 3 minutes does nothing for your confidence.

2. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

holy poop!
    They are too fast. Damn! my apm is probably like 6!
    I feel that with RTS's, they are fun until you realize that every round is waayy to long, there are way to many things to keep track of, and ect. When I play games, I dont want to think hard, I just want to sit back and relax. Thats probably why Im bad at gaming though....

3. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

You will never be "good" at StarCraft 2

I take this as a personal attack so thanks Bit-Tech for telling everybody!!

As far as the gamers in the video, they may whoop me in Starcraft 2 and I wouldn't even care because they will get arthritis before I would with that 300 apm crap.

4. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

i thought playing games was supposed to be fun, letting you chill out a bit.That video is not my idea of playing having fun

5. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

I love games like Starcraft but absolutely refuse to play them in multiplayer because of this whole race to build the most of something contest. It cheapens the game and makes it no fun.

6. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Sorry but this article is kind of dumb. It's as if every single starcraft player except for the reader was one of these 300 APM wonders.

7. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Actually I find FPS have exactly the same problems.

8. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I disagree that enjoying playing / watching Starcraft is sad, just because it's a computer game. It's like a combination of chess and boxing - you have to absolutely outthink your opponent like in chess, have a strategy to put your pieces in the right place to beat his pieces - but timing is critical. Attack at the wrong time and his counter attack will wipe you out, attack when his guard is lowered and you will win the game.

Nobody ever claimed that chess or boxing were sad.

Also I think the most critical element to getting on with the game if you are a newcomer is learning basic opening strategies (like chess!). If you are just messing about with your first few units in your base, he is going to have his barracks up and men coming when he realises you've not done anything yet.

9. dispie

dispie What's a Dremel?

I was kicking in starcraft mostly won at our lan party,

but wen i see this and after 2 years linux and no games I just feel far from able to win i dont make my self illusions of being able so im not even gone try.

and i also have a life / work and friends offline but respect for these guys that they can remember so many moves en execute so many

10. Xir

Xir Modder

Yup...let a newbie play against a few people from a (mediocre) CS-clan.
    It's pretty boring getting headshotted within seconds of spawning for hours on end. :D

11. Altron

Altron Minimodder

This is such a cliche.

a) - you don't have to dedicate a huge amount of time on gaming. I've gotten pretty decent picking up DotA again, after a month of just randomly playing a game or two once I get home from work before I eat dinner. Match-making and singleplayer will give you a better learning curve.

b) - not everyone who is good at games has no lives. I work full time and take night classes. I play "Battleships Pro" like once a week, and dominate. Easily a 10:1 KDR. Do I dedicate my life to it? of course not. I've just been playing it casually for long enough that I've gotten really good at it.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

You're really good at Day of the TentAcle? Wow :D

13. word304

word304 What's a Dremel?

Wow! It's stunning on how there's so many off-tangeant comments their are from people with such insanely high degrees of ignorance, hypocrisy, egotism, and narcissism.

I say people will do whatever they're either good at or whatever brings them joy. Those who find both are truly lucky.
    There's no justification to make assessment calls about the level of good or bad on what other people decide to do with their own lives.

Settling the topic of "Is it a sport?" - Webster's Dictionary shows one definition of sport to be "That with which one plays, or which is driven about in play; a toy; a plaything." So, yes, it can indeed be a sport. Case closed. Move on already.

(Even though I usually won't make direct comments to individuals on forum posts - especially those purposefully causing agitation, but.....)
    People who insult others just to feel better about themselves are the truly embarassing ones. Especially when when they're pompous enough to make judgement calls about entire cultures. Please tell us what exactly it is that you do at your job where your life is so much more enriching and rewarding compared to others. I want to know what job is truely good enough to justify being able to make such extreme judgement calls on the lives of others.

Altron likes this.
  14. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

What are the going to do when the zombie apocalypse happens?

15. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

A lot of sc2 is just the right tactics and learning the hotkeys. It's true to say you'll never be the best in the world, but you can at least manage a 50% ratio and learn from the replays - you can see exactly what your opponent did to build twice as fast as you.

16. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Command robot soldiers. Duh. You can't bite steel.

Clearly, the military trend is to use more and more unmanned combat systems, controlled remotely. Video game players are the perfect candidate for it.

I mean, just look at how well UAVs have... taken off

YEEEEEAHHHHHH!!!!!
    *sunglasses*

17. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

I think both of your analogies are silly and naive. Thats not the point of sports or esports.

The correct reasoning to chess, starcraft, and football are all:
    I play with people of comparable skill level, and i win about as much as i lose, so a constant struggle keeps the game interesting while a solid win rate keeps me interested.

The new ladder system operates by trying to get every player at a 50% win rate: if you are higher it will pair you against better opponents untill your win rate is at 50%, and visa versa. All this drama about losing every single game you play to 300 apm players is ridiculous. Im currently ranked 12 in diamond division with an average apm around 100 and a crisis apm of around 140. Thats really not a lot.

I also find Bit-Tech's response to e-sports disappointing.
    Wow. Really? Who are you to say the pro korean athletes have more worth culturally than pro korean starcraft players? Why do you equate being a pro gamer with not having a life? What the hell gives you that right?

These people practice 10 hours a day and are paid 6 figures. They have the the dexterity of a lifelong musician and the strategic prowess of a chess grandmaster. They pull in tens of thousands of spectators internationally to watch them play. Dont be a pompous, assuming ass. Dont insult what you choose not to understand. Even if you dont like it, objectively there is clearly something other than simple gaming going on here; respect it.

18. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

EDIT TO THE ABOVE

Sorry, i didn't make the begging of my post very clear.

What i meant to say was that the reasoning that was given behind not playing starcraft, and then the analogy given for playing football were both far off the mark and were a littly goofy.

What i think is the real reason behind doing any of these things is what i posted: that we play competition to play against people of comparable skill levels and win a good amount of the time. No one plays a sport and compares themselves to Lebron james; thats not why you play the sport. It may be fun to think about, but it has no impact on one's play or love for basketball.

Im arguing the same thing for startcraft. You must be out of your mind to compare your starcraft skills or APM to nada, or any other S-class player. Nada's apm has no impact on the average person's love for starcraft.

One more small note. The article and the interview make a bit of a misstep. There is a HUGE difference between effective APM and literal APM. As you can see in the player's demonstrations, much of their actions are redundant. It helps if you have a starcraft knowledge, but if you dont just pay attention their left hands; they select the same control groups repeatedly to give the same orders.

You dont need 250+ apm to win games at a high level, you need 100+ well placed and thought out apm to win games. Its not about the speed for most of the time, its about how you use it.

19. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I brought up the Lebron comparison... did you actually read my post before dismissing it as far off the mark and a little goofy?

You criticize my example, then you immediately follow it with a paragraph that completely agrees with my example.

Here it is again.

20. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I hate micro-management more than paedophiles and Hitler. It's not fun, it's work.