1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Complete newbie taking the plunge building a gaming PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mihajaru, 5 Aug 2010.

1. mihajaru

mihajaru What's a Dremel?

I'm thinking of using Yoyotech.co.uk as the source for my components, I'm not really good at waiting and i prefer to see an item before i buy it *bad experiences in the past*

So if anybody can help me? the prices are pretty much teh same from scan.co.uk ^_^

SO far, i got to

http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/item-detail.php?products_id=2731466 for the Mobo

http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/item-detail.php?products_id=2654624 RAM

http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/item-detail.php?products_id=1932496 for the CPU

http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/item-detail.php?products_id=4368937 for the GPU

http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/item-detail.php?products_id=4368585 PSU

Are they good enough? are they compatible with each other?

Thanks ^_^

would be great if i can lower the price... cuz at the moment this 4 alone is more or less close to £500

Last edited: 7 Aug 2010
  2. mihajaru

Last edited: 7 Aug 2010
  3. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

hmm i see your point...my gpu is good, but i will upgrade it when i get around to it. but definitely go for the more powerful card mihajaru if you can fit it into your budget. doc why do you suggest the gtx 460 over a 5870? just preference or performance reasons?

4. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

by the way mihajaru im from london as well. i think you should buy through scan or overclockers for the case, ive never tried yoyotech but the other 2 sites have a very fast delivery service and everything i have ever bought from them has been in perfect working condition too :)

5. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

6. carajp

carajp What's a Dremel?

I've used Yoyotech in the past - what stuck out was really excellent customer service.

Caroline

7. mihajaru

Judi bought my parts, I ended up following the gamer enthusiast build hi hi, the missus will kill me, ill report here when my system is done. Thank you very much all!

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I never brought up the 5870, that card would take up most of his budget. The GTX 460 is faster than the 4870 by a decent margin, and the price is low enough to fit into his budget.

There's no reason to defend your build. As I said earlier, it's not a bad build, but it's outdated and it makes no sense to buy it today.

:lol:

9. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

no no, dont take it the wrong way, im not defending it, as i didnt take what you said as an insult. just curiousity to be honest. i didnt think the 460 would be cheaper than the 5870 though. thats a shocker for me!

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yoyotech are ok, but they are usually alot more expensive than most other places.

11. mihajaru

woohoo! my system is running! took me a while to figure out i have to boot by the dvd drive =D anyhow, is there a way i can know if some part of the build is faulty?

im installing windows at the moment...

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thats usually the good sign :) If something is faulty it'll become unstable, so Blue Screens Of Doom will rear their unwanted heads.

13. mihajaru

so far so good, installed windows 7 and still no errors, fans are working perfectly well, but.. anybody have any idea why the fan on top of utgard xigmatek is really low? and i ahve a problem, everytime i attach my monitor to the connection behind the graphics card, my monitor turns itself off? monitor works when i have it on the normal socket though

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What do you mean by the connector behind the graphics card?

15. mihajaru

hehe sorry about the wrong terminology, i mean the sockets from the graphics card where you attach your monitor? ^+^

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I still don't understand what you mean. :S

17. wormy

wormy Minimodder

If you mean that it turns off when you connect it to the socket on the graphics card itself, rather than the socket on the motherboard, it sounds like the graphics card isn't working - does the monitor say it's going to sleep or similar? That would be as it has no signal from the graphics card.

If that's the case, go into device manager in Windows and see if you can find there to switch it to your card, rather than the motherboard video device.

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What I think he means is the second connector on the card itself, which by default is disabled, only the primary connector works with a single screen attached.

19. mihajaru

this is my problem ^_^, ill try it now

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Have yuo connected the power to the card, seated it in the right slot and made sure its enabled in the BIOs?