1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Epic PC X Series 20.10.2010 Its over, finished, complete. Come one come all :)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Djayness, 1 Feb 2010.

1. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That's some pretty good gear you got yourself mate. Yep, a couple hundred AUD goes a long way now :D.

2. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Yeah I was actually quite surprised, upgrading from 775 with 330aud and thats a fairly decent setup.

3. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

Looks pretty badass, nice work so far ;)

4. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Cheers! Its done!

Wooottageee!

Disclaimer!

------ For those of you who just came in and havent seen this project before ------

This was my first case with the CNC and it really wasnt designed very well. This was due, in part to the fact that I was using autocad for the very first time (although I did get over that learning curve) and also I didnt quite know the boundaries of the CNC I owned.

This was my first step and it was going to be an awesome first step until this computer became irreplaceable. I needed it running for my CNC to complete orders and essentially earn me moola (I am a signage contractor) and the inevitable happened, progress stalled.

The breaking point was when my motherboard died and I needed to take it apart. I took the opportunity to remove the watercooling, put new hardware in and polish it all up! I am pretty much taking what I have learnt here and putting it all into project kyubu which I urge you guys to check out.

Until then, have some candy...or cheesecake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Huge shout out to Andy from Lamptron, he put up with the delays for over 6 months and probably forgot this project was still alive :) He has been a huge help and will be the only reason this case stays dust free and fan controlled!

5. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Well done mate it looks stunning! Pics of inside please:D Oh and you'll have mail ;)

6. Razarach

Razarach Minimodder

nice work mate :)

7. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I just went from a LGA775 E8400 to a quad core I875K myself. That along with 2 new Samsung HDs has really pepped up my system.

Feels good to be finally done, doesn't it?

8. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Congrats on being done.

But, as much as I understand the passion for moving on to the next build where you'' try to not making the same mistakes again, would it have killed you to tidy up the cables a bit and maybe sandblast the side panels? The frosting of the side panel looks quite uneven now, which is a shame.

9. Baekkel

Baekkel Picky Picture Villian

Grats on the completion, but have to agree with nutman on the sides though..
    I really REALLY liked the shiny sides, with a clear view of the insides of the case.
    But i also like the enjoy the cleanlyness of a super tidy case..

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

She looks amazing mate. I would have used a clear side panel myself but the frosted look does look good.

11. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Thanks! Im pretty sure you dont want to see the inside haha.

Some sense of closure, not so much a sense of success though. I am happy enough to move on regardless.

Valid points but in the same vein I have a signage business to run, I am working on getting into my new apartment/factory and with my career job I work your 40 hours a week every day of the week on the run up to christmas. The more down time this computer had, the more money I lose and I want to be successful so that a year or so down the track I won't have to work 9 to 5.

It is a shame but in the end I found it hard to dedicate my time to the case due to finances and also because I'm building another. This case had very little design work put into it where as Kyubu has had over 2 months of constant design, even the previews you guys saw two weeks ago are long outdated and every inch of detail has been covered.

At the end of the day, this is the end product and I am not too concerned over the negatives although I agree with your points and welcome the criticism. This is just the start for me and for a first scratch build its probably not the worst I could have done :)

Thanks to everyone who was a regular in this thread and I promise that there is much more to come (and much better to come!).

12. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

Looks astounding with the frosted (sandpapered) panel, gives a nice effect :)

Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?

13. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Lovely thought! :hehe:

14. flare

flare What's a Dremel?

Looks very nice mate. Lol at the comments above :hehe:

15. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Video is up :)

16. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

It's a really nice case you've got there.

17. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

Somebody's gonna be crapping loads (3 packs of loo roll)

looks nice.

18. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Does that mean what I think it means?

I really don't want to sound like an ass here, but if you needed this machine running, could you not have just thrown it in a cheap (£40?) case and let this one sit "in limbo" until you had the time, money, materials or whatever else was necessary to finish this one? Again, I'm not trying to put down your work here, but I feel kind of disappointed on this one. It was going so well and everyone was practically creaming themselves over the stuff you were producing, and at the end of it all we're left looking at a case that has been designed for a liquid cooled PC, without a liquid cooled PC in it. A case that should look beautiful, clean and modern on the inside but has roughly frosted side panels hiding untidy wiring. A case that was apparently designed for a full ATX motherboard housing a reduced or slimline ATX board.

I know exactly how you feel and the situation you are in with your business, your work-in-progress projects and all the other problems that modders can run into mid way through a mod or a build. Time, money, materials etc etc. It affects us all, and I am no different. I have 3 major personal projects sitting "on the shelf" at the moment, one about 20% of the way to completion, one about halfway done and one that is still only a prototype/mockup chassis and some concept art and CAD drawings at the moment. All of these projects need to be finished ASAP but it's looking like none of them will be finished before the start of 2011 now. I'm not, however, willing to even start posting the project logs for any of them (even the one that is 1/2 way completed) until I am sure that they can and will be completed. If I had already started posting projects log entries for one of them, it would just get put "on hold" until I get it finshed the way I first intended. Just look in my sig - the folding farm is on hold at the moment as well, because I moved out of the house I was building the server room in and started putting more time and money into my business.

I know this project has already had it's fair share of undue and uncalled for criticism, and I want to stress that this is not more of that. I love what you've done with it. The concept and execution of the case design is a real breath of fresh air and the craftmanship can't be faulted - I'm just disappointed that you "settled" for not finishing it properly and that we're apparently not going to see it as you first intended now.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2010
  19. Jux_Zeil

Jux_Zeil What's a Dremel?

Looks very good bud.

As long as you're happy with the outcome and had fun making it, doesn't matter what other people think really. I would just take what they say as 'I would have done......' as apposed to 'you should have.....'.

20. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Actually, it doesnt :p

You have valid points but in the end this case didnt turn out the way I wanted because of design flaws that could not be fixed. Even with all the criticism, I don't actually mind they way this project has turned out. Sure its not the crazy build everyone thought it would be but it suits my purposes and most importantly, its working and finished.

I am the type of person who can't leave something in Limbo forever, it will itch me until its done and this is my closure for this project.

Honestly I do appreciate the critics because its better to have some then to not have any. When people stop criticising, theyve pretty much accepted you cant do better.