1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: "G5 Retaliation" March 19th. Alive and kicking! Happy days!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Angel OD, 18 Sep 2007.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

24th but this is one of those birthdays that end in 0(zero). Last year we lost the poor boy for several days. This one could be worse.

Marilyn and I adopted a newborn on the 22nd. Ryan just turned 16.

If I count right Angel is 30

2. asfastas63

asfastas63 What's a Dremel?

@ angel

I just spent yesterday reading through all 29 pages of this thread, and I must say I love your work. It seems like every idea I've had for my own case mod you've implemented to perfection. I have a couple of questions though that have been nagging me, and i apologize if you answered any already, I mostly read the large updates and skimmed the rest of the text posts briefly.

1. Why did you remount the hdd case sideways? It seems like since you are using the second bay for the fan controller, it would be much more effective facing outwards in the stock fashion.

2. While making the extensions for the mobo ports, how did you attach the original apple ports to the case? did you make a bracket and mount them all on it, then attach it to the case? Did you have enough spacing between your mobo and the case wall?

3. When designing your waterblocks, how did you decide... what the thickness of the copper would be between the cpu and the channel? the ID of the channel relating to the tubing you are using? ... the path, i see it isn't one direct flow, but instead breaks off into two directions, did you base this on production waterblocks? I would've assumed creating a single path to ensure equal water distribution.

I think that's it for now, great work I look forward to seeing the project through to completion!

3. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

It is time!

Here we go again.

It's about time to breath some more life into this project.

It's started by me buying a used PSU on ebay, to be able to go SLI.

Long story short, it malfunctioned, and smoke came out of my 2 harddrives. It took my mobo along for the ride to the eternal fields of FAIL!

Got a crazy good deal on a 780i, so this is the start.

Then I bought a Corsair TX 750 - Sleeving, here we come! lol

A friend of mine didn't need the EVGA 9800 GTX+ he had, so he donated that! :thumb:
    The waterblocks for 2 of these, bear some evidence of this! :D

Sooo... On with the show!

Corsair - Sleeving in progres - Only use MDPC sleeving, it's the best I ever used! :clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you might have noticed, I'm going with a Purple/black theme.

I'll be making a tower for 3 radiators, and go with 2 loops. 1 in purple liquid, and one in black.

North- and South bridge on the 780i, just checking for leaks:

[​IMG]

I need a second block for the chips around the CPU, hopefully this will come to life this weekend.

The GFX... These were the reason for me going on this journey!

Hope you like the blocks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CYC is the friend who gave me the gfx card, and the inspiration for this rebuild. Thought he deserved some credit! Love it or hate it! :)

I'll be back with more... You know I will! :naughty:

Last edited: 8 Oct 2011
  4. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

i really like those new blocks ! :rock:

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The blocks are amazing! :rock:

6. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

These block are awesome.

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Yay! You are the best thing about Winter.:jawdrop: Kinda sad you lost the old rig, though.

-And I mean that. Christmas is weak in comparison.

8. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

MOM! Angel is back.....

9. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Heh... Thank you for the warm welcome back! :)
    Damn; you guys are easily impressed! :lol:

It's good to be back!

I just bought an extra 9800 GTX+ for the second waterblock, that should arrive sometime next week, so I got stuff to do!!

I also just ordered some fans, filters, purple and black liquid, and fittings. No staying on the lazy side the next couple of weeks.

Still need to:
    Build a tower for the radiators
    Make an extra reservoir, an exact copy of the on I got. (That almost stole my right pinky)
    The last sleeving.
    Cut some holes in the G5 case, for PSU cables and USB - Since there are only 4 pci ports on the back, and the 2 gfx's are gonna take those up.
    Make a waterblock for the chipset around the CPU.

I've gone away from the idea of having the PSU at the bottom, since it has cost me 4 or 5 PSU's by now... It's gonna be mounted on the side that faces away from the seethrough side.

Oh yeah, I tried to watercool the last PSU... One of the tubings were just easily attached, and I forgot that... When I tried to move it, the tube fell off, and that was the end of that! :lol:

I'll get back with updates ASAP! :) Thank you for having me back! :rock:

10. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Good god, man :thumb: I just saw this for the first time and it is amazing. Although I have to hate you a little, having access to such badass machinery. :D I want to be able to mill my own blocks :waah:

11. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Soo, guess it's on with the show.

Just a little bonus to start up on.

My attempt to watercool my old PSU... It worked great, untill I forgot the barbs were not on the hoses, and I tried to move it...

The liquid might have been non-conducting back in the days, but several times being poured in and out of the loop, and 230 volts later, it's not! lol... Think I lost about 2 decilters straight into the PSU... Need I say the appartment went black? :duh:

[​IMG]

PSU graveyard - Only the last 2-3 of them though...

[​IMG]

Well, on with the right stuff! :thumb:

Got some goodies that I ordered from Aquatuning.de

[​IMG]

I know, it's not the crazy amount that you guys show off, but the moneytree I planted last year didn't really grow... :(

But it's 3 fans, filters, a 2nd temp. gauge, and Black & Purple liquid! :rock:

And what is this??

[​IMG]

Beechwood??

Oh yeah! This piece was kindly donated by my brother who found it laying around at his house. This is for the next part of the build:

[​IMG]

What it is, I keep for myself now! But if luck is with me, I should be getting it in the works during the week, and hopefully finish it in a week or 2. I will ofcourse post pics of the project as it goes on! :D
    In theory it should have it's own thread, but I'll keep it in here for the ease of it! :baby:

I'm on the new reservoir, it'll be an exact copy of the one I got right now. Can't remember how that looks? :read: :lol: And it's acompanied by lots of "brainy" jokes! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's in the making!

The latest waterblock I made today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for now. I shall leave you with a picture of the beautifull setup that is right now my rig! :lol:

[​IMG]

Thought I might as well start testing the blocks, and they hold water, so that's just frikkin beautifull! :thumb:

12. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Beautifull work with the new blocks mate! Please carry on:D

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The blocks are absolutely beautiful!

I also want to point out that most 'non-conductive' liquids are only non-conductive of the relatively small voltages present on your mobo (I say relatively because the amps behind those volts are still fierce). Pouring those liquids over a PSU inevitably causes a short --as you have found out.

The only truly non-conductive coolant is Perfluorcarbon, a.k.a. Fluorinert. I can vouch for it as the perfect coolant-- I use it myself. But it is also quite expensive and hard to obtain.

Last edited: 12 Dec 2010
  14. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

pOPe <- Thank you m8! :)

Nexxo <- Yeah, I really didn't count on it being non-conductive under those circumstances either! :lol: It saved my GFX once, when my old 8800 gts block leaked, and that's enough for me! :)

I might have a look at the stuff you talk about, and since I work at a university, it might even be within range to get ahold of. But since I want Black and Purple water in the loops, I guess there's not more to do than ... Do what one can! :thumb:

EDIT - Holy moly! I just saw the prices of Fluorinert ... It's cheaper to fry a complete frikkin pc, than to buy that stuff! :lol:

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Whoo! Another reservoir!

There was a lot of power supply gore this time, but seeing the waterblocks kept me from fainting.:D

16. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

:jawdrop:
    Ah I love this, So nice that youre back with some updates. And those blocks of yours, I knew already from the start that this is one to watch and I was damn right. By far the best blocks I've ever seen. Sad to hear it was the last block.

Btw, what brand is that PSU you watercooled? since the heatsinks didn't seem to be live. My PSU has 240v over the heatsinks and im looking for one that dosn't since I want to play with it:)

17. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

This is just awesome work. Your work is like magic my friend.

18. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Cheaps <- Well... Glad to make you a bit happy then! :p

The_Gnu <- To be honest, my girlfriend has come to the thought that she want's a watercooled modded PC as well, sometime in the spring next year, so it's probably not the last blocks I have ever made! :lol:
    I'm not sure what you mean about the PSU. I have no idea if the rails were live or not. All I know is that they are no longer, as it is dead as a duck! :lol:

mav2000 <- Thank you very much! Comments like that, is one of the reasons I'm in here! :) We all wish to cater to our ego's from time to time! :)

Well, on with the show!

Made some progress on the new Reservoir today. And since the girlfriend is sick these days (mentally, not more than usual though! :lol: ) I think I might squeeze a couple of hours of work in tomorrow after job-hours.

But: Top polished front, you see the cut from the saw through it - residue from the polishing paste:

[​IMG]

Top and Bottom polished:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manufacturing the middle part - The brain makes an appearence:

[​IMG]

The view as of now - More polishing to the middle part still required:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course - The traditional red silicone o-rings! :rock:

That's it for today, hope to be back with more tomorrow! :)

19. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

I like your cooling stuff. :rock:

20. dralix

dralix What's a Dremel?

I LOVE THOSE BLOCKS :D

Tags: