1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress GET A LIFE - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 17 Nov 2010.

1. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Well thanks Gnu for sharing your play-time with us, it was fun for all. :thumb:

2. jamy015

jamy015 What's a Dremel?

It sure was :thumb:

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Definitely. :D:clap: But also definitely a shame it didn't work out because of the board, :( awesome little mobo lighting mod, they looked like pac mans feet. :lol::rock::dremel::clap:

[​IMG]

Actually yours look better than I remembered pac mans feet to look. :duh::D

4. Timmynator

Timmynator What's a Dremel?

If I may interject something here: I read that at least some versions of the IONITX series have fan control implemented in new BIOS versions. Maybe yours is part of the lucky bunch?

As for the "playing around" part: depending on the setup on your main rig you might actually be able to implement a temperature LED since Speedfan allows you to set high/low values for each fan channel as well as automatically vary "LED speed" between the two depending on the temperature of the sensors paired with said channel. I'm thinking of something between the "operating temperature ok" light on an electric oven and a "caution, meltdown imminent" warning light :lol:

5. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks craig, there will be more playtime in the future, I promise :)

:thumb:

Lol, I've always locked at Pacman as the only game character without feets.

Thanks as always mate:thumb:

thank you very much for your info Timmy. As for the bios update, I read something about that aswell but from what I could find it was the F-series that got this feature. I got the A-series :/

Thats a really nice idea and reason to play around some more. At first, when I decided to use the fan connectors, I didn't think of all the possibilites to controll the LEDs. I was just looking for a powersource. But I realise now that this method got some playpotential.
    I could for shure have used some "caution, meltdown imminent" warning LEDs at work today as the CPU temp on my workstation hit 100°C.

6. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

I thought it was about time to give you a preview of the complete case.
    I never thought I would say this about my own work but these pictures actually leeked out and was available before I had planed on uploading them:lol:. But I just thought it was fun and took it as a clear sign that it's time to finish this project. So here is a few pictures of the complete case that I have been holding on to for quite some time.

But first a heatpad to transfer as much heat to the caselid/backplate as possible
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's it ....

....or whait
    I need more RETRO feeling.
    And since this is going to be a RETRO game/media pc. I need a controller to play the emulated games. But wires are too retro for my kind so I need to make a wireless NES controller.

And since Im not that good at designing electrical circuits, I choose to do it the "easy" way by hardwiring an already wireless controller to the NES controllers buttons. I have been searching high and low but couldn't find any good wirelss NES controller guides. I found one guide with a guy that used the electronics from a wireless numpad and fitted it into the nes controller. However that method had a problem, he couldnt press two buttons at the same time so jumping while running wasn't possible. I also found another guide were a guy used a realy small bluetooth controller for mobile phones, however they stoped making those controllers some years ago.

And finding a bluetooth controller today that is small enough to fit inside a NES controller casing: not easy so I had to go with the closest thing. A PS3 controller.

And here are my donor controllers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I removed the analog sticks since I won't bee needing those. At first I tried to save them for further use but since they had 14solder points each, I had to cut them up and it was still a pain to remove them. Testing afterwards shows sign of life, always apreciated.
    [​IMG]

Testfitting...Ouch... I haz problem.
    [​IMG]

...easy fix.
    [​IMG]

problem solved :D
    [​IMG]

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Haha the controller mod is so awesome & the problem solved bit rocked, :hehe: sweet modding. :D:rock: Can you get the battery in though without modding the pad case?.

First full on view of the final rig, :jawdrop::D it's soooooooooo gooooood, the pad is the cherry on the cheesecake, clever, neat & an awesome addition. :clap::)

You say the pictures leaked? someone pick them off photobucket before you went & posted them on forums?.

8. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks mate, I'm glad you like it:thumb:
    The battery won't be a problem and I don't have to cut the casing, Ill show you in the next update :)

hehe I made it sound worse about the pictures than it really is, I just thought it was fun to have them leeked. I sent them to a friend a while ago and aparently he liked it, and shared them on another site dedicated to retro games. But I appreciate he did because I don't think they would have seen it othervise... and I take it as an appreciation of my work.

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Yeah, just couldn't resist sharing it, can't blame them. :hehe::thumb:

10. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

F**k, this is awesome!

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Ahhh, delicious. :D
    I'm torn. Part of me wants to see the perif mod. part of me wants to see you START ON THAT PICO BUILD. *cough*

12. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Pretty epic - but why a PS3 controller? Because it's easy to put Bluetooth inside the case? They're almost impossible to connect to Windows satisfactorily - surely an Xbox controller would be easier from a software standpoint...?

13. peteski

peteski long live the pc

great work mate top modding :rock: :rock: :rock:

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'd kill someone for this build!

I'd go as far as a severe flesh wound just for the case! :hehe:

15. CMos

CMos What's a Dremel?

Just awesome! +rep:)

16. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Amazing work Gnu. :thumb: In a way I'm sad that the project is over.

17. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

As a retro nerd i have a few insights.

I think it would've been in keeping to keep a wire for nostalgia.

And using the board from a ps3 controller is going to make wiring incredibly fiddly. Something like a small number pad would be better, you just wire the buttons you need, and with an emulator, it doesn't matter what numbers or letters they are that you've wired. Plus they're so easy to wire.

Better yet, a blue tooth powered keyboard, which supports usb charging.

OR even more simply, have you seen the retrokits from retrozone? A few wires to solder and about 10-20 minutes and you've got a usb controller.

I've been watching your project for a while and i love the nostalgia, the mushroom, the 1up it's all awesome. Bet you can't wait to play some contra on that =p

18. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

ok not bad :)

19. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

Fantastic :D Glad to see your work has paid off :D

20. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Its time to pick up my jaw from the floor and find the proper words to describe this.....*jaw falls on the floor once again*