1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 17 Jan 2011.

1. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

I really dont like the stormtalon myself too stocky and short,

Spent most of the day working on my wolf priest, going to have to finish off one or two things tomorrow and then give it an oil wash + add on some decals.

Quite proud of it especially his frost weapon. Shall post photos tomorrow.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yeah, I'll be chopping it up, it won't be stock by any means :p

Sounds good man, looking forward to it!

Oh, and try some lahmian medium over the decals, Andy's done it, and it looks stunning.

3. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

I'm going to be using micro -set and micro - sol. Micro Sol is the liquid that is actually on de-cal sheets and its what alot of military modellers use so it'll be interesting though. Just need to give it a gloss varnish in the morning before I can do anything else.

Have you seen the Chapterhouse stormraven conversion kit? I'm really tempted to get one.

4. liratheal

Ahh, nice.

I have actually seen it, I was about a second away from buying one until I realised I had no use for a tiny Thunderhawk - All the games it'd be in would be big enough to contain the actual Thunderhawk...

5. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

looking forward to seeing those pics gil.

made some good progress on the board today... rocks are painted and ive cut out slots in
    the cork for the models , next job will be to coat the cork in pva glue and sand /gravel the whole board..

[​IMG]

6. liratheal

My store manager was looking forward to seeing more of your board, Phil, after seeing it on the blog :p

It's looking good though!

7. philheckler

I've got to say im having so much fun building this board , although it's been a lot of work... im feeling pretty happy now that the main landscape construction is done , being a family man with three kids it's hard to get time to work on a project like this (and my wife is starting to look at the board and mentally calculate how much d.i.y work i could have put in around the house instead ;)

8. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Current WIP.

Going to tidy up some details this morning and go and give it some oil washes.

[​IMG]

9. philheckler

I've got to say gil it must really take some patience to get that effect you pulled off on the axe , i can see at least five blue shades went into that - nice work!

10. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Thanks alot man, its the first time I've tried that effect. I just used my airbrush with white, then ice blue, the regal blue and finally 50:50 mix of regal blue and black. Quite chuffed with it. Not too keen about the rest of the model yet lol

11. liratheal

It looks really nice man!

12. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Just putting together a Stormtalon now and thought it would be a good time to try out some other plastic glues that I had kicking about:

[​IMG]

The Ambroid Proweld is some that I have been using for some time and has given great results, VERY strong welded joints with a finish that allows for filing and join line removal without the need for filling in most cases.

The EMA Plastic Weld looks to be pretty much the same stuff as the Proweld as it lists the contents as Dichloromethane or Methyl Chloride. As far as I can find out the Proweld solution is also this so I am not expecting anything different in performance.

The third bottle is going to be the interesting one. It is THF or Tetrahydrofuran, it is the same stuff that roofing contractors use to solvent weld sheets of PVC membrane together and if there was ever anything that needed a 'well ventilated location' warning on it then it would be this. The stuff reeks but it produces a hell of a welded joint. I am just a bit concerned that it might be a little too much for fine work and may damage the parts. Going to try it on some bigger joints, holding the parts together than painting the THF down the joint. It creeps and penetrates like nothing else so should work pretty well for that sort of thing (provided that it doesn't dissolve the part altogether that is).

13. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Board is looking good phil, cant wait to see it finished.

Thats a really nice wolf priest gill, can u upload some more pictures?

14. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Yea I will do man, gona post up a few more photos once I give him a coat of matt varnish and do the snow on his base.

15. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Board coming along nicely Phil.

Did you do the whole axe with an airbrush Gilljoy? Or wet blend it? Looks really good, wanting to try a NMM look for my DE but worried I'll screw it up.

16. philheckler

Did a bit more work on the board, applied pva / sand / rock scatter and painted..

[​IMG]

Pretty happy the way the sanding turned out , i used neat wilko pva wood glue and just slapped it on unevenly before sanding, its left some nice undulations on the surface..

[​IMG]

made a noob error though forgot to sttick some larger bits of rock to the board befroe sanding which gives the effect tat the rocks are poking from the mud.... :blush: ..

next job is to drybrush the sand to pick up the texture , wish me luck!

going to pick up some flock from hobbycraft tomorrow.. board will really come to life when i start adding flock / grass to some of the flat surfaces of the cliffs

17. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Coming along nicely Phil, look forward to seeing it finished. Want to make one for me aswell? :p

Also starting to think that priming with black was a bad choice for a purple/yellow scheme. 5 coats later on purple and it's barely coming through. :( Thinking I might pick a grey primer from hobbycraft (if they have any) and using that instead. Just a shame I primed 30 models in black already. >.>

Last edited: 12 Jun 2012
  18. liratheal

Looks awesome, man.

Smellyhead: If you want some good quality reasonably priced grey primer - Halfords grey primer for plastics is top notch. It's what I use on my scorpions.

19. TechnoScream

TechnoScream Minimodder

Hey all, good to see there are so many wargaming fans on Bit-Tech! Hopefully, you will find the following wargaming terrain review useful.

[​IMG]

This review is one of many available on www.gravengames.co.uk, feel free to add us on Facebook or Twitter too.

After having a lot of fun with some of Amera’s smaller pieces of vacuum formed wargaming terrain, we’re back with a with a review of something a little bigger. We previously looked at Amera’s Forward Command Bunker and Battlefield Craters (see the review here) and we are now able to show you the (Z214) City Block Ruins, again from Amera’s Future Zone range aimed at 25-28mm wargaming.

The City Block Ruins (Z214) are available from www.amera.co.uk and are priced at £9.95 which represents great value for money, especially for such a large terrain piece (Dimensions: 19cm x 25cm x 25cm).

Here are the City Block Ruins as they were delivered to us in their retail packaging. As you can see, this product consists of the same vacuum formed white plastic as the previous Amera products we reviewed.

[​IMG]

On opening the package and laying everything out, you can see there is quite a bit in there. We’ve got the two main walls, the floor, 3 additional floor levels, some buttresses and and additional sheet of plastic along with instructions for making some internal walls should you wish to do so.

[​IMG]

Each of the vacuum formed sheets in the kit will have a lip of unneeded plastic around the edges, which can be easily removed with a craft knife. Below is a shot of us removing some of the unneeded plastic edging on the main floor piece. As you can see, the floor piece is nicely textured with the rubble and debris you would expect to find in a ruined building.

[​IMG]

The windows in the outside walls of the ruin come filled with plastic as standard. We believe you have a few options here, you could leave the plastic in and paint the windows with your desired glass effect, cut jagged shapes out of the windows and paint them as broken glass, or as we chose to do, you can cut them out completely.

[​IMG]

Here are the walls with all of the extra plastic removed, the plastic is easy to cut with a craft knife so this was a quick job. These ruined walls are textured with subtle cuts and cracks which should look great once painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also supplied in the kit are 3 buttresses which can be attached to the outside of the building to give it a heavy, fortified look. They have already been trimmed in the picture below.

[​IMG]

This is a large kit with 4 levels in total. We showed you the ground floor earlier, here are the top 3 floors, complete with rubble details.

[​IMG]

One nice touch is that Amera have included an additional sheet of plastic, along with instructions on how to add your own internal walls to the ruin, to personalise and reinforce the terrain piece. We felt that the ruin was strong enough for general gaming without the addition of internal walls, but its good to know this is possible if desired.

[​IMG]

And here is our assembled City Block Ruin! In the first picture you can see the complete model with buttresses, but we decided not to include them on our finished piece so that the ruin would fit in better with our current gaming terrain. We’ve included one of Games Workshop’s 28mm Space Marine models to give you an idea of the size of this terrain piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We mounted our City Block Ruin on a 12 inch square piece of hardboard, added some gravel around the base, and gave it a quick paint job - We think it looks great! Again, a Space Marine has been included for scale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We’re really happy with this product, it was easy to put together, and would look great on any gaming table. At £9.95 from www.amera.co.uk we think that the (Z214) City Block Ruins is excellent value for money, and remembering that it constructed from vacuum formed plastic sheets, its lightweight should you need to store or transport it.

If you’d like to order one of Amera’s Ruins or just take a look at the rest of their range, head over to www.amera.co.uk.

We hope you enjoyed this review from Graven Games. There are larger pictures available on the site and remember to check out our other reviews on www.gravengames.co.uk. You can also add us on Facebook or Twitter too.

20. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I made a city block like that years ago, sound the template online and slapped one together in a few hours. Never got around to painting it but it worked none the less. My old alteration was I made the floor from balsa wood that goes between the lower 2 stories of the building.