1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Couple more recent pics of my track toy, will put up a full thread soon with my trip pics to SPA Francorchamps and the Nurburgring, currently have over 3000 between us to go through!! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

The #2 piston and rod are gonners (obviously), but the other 3 seem to be alright. the crank and block also survived mostly unscathed. theres some markings on the counterweight on #2 but its superficial. theres still healthy cross-hatching in the cylinder bores so i think im just going to run it. its just a commuter car/fuel sipper not a drag car and the motor didnt have a ton of miles to begin with.

itll be getting:
    a new rod and piston: TBD
    a ring set: $70
    rod bearings: $20
    a remanufactured head with updated valve seats, new springs, valves, valve seals: $250-300
    gaskets/head bolts: $170

i looked into that... unfortunately its not that straightforward.

CLICKY

pretty much everything needs to be swapped: wiring harness (which runs the entire length of the car), PCM, transmission...basically id need a donor car and it would cost the same or more. this way, i get to start with a relevantly fresh engine so i know it has many miles of service left and wont be burning/leaking oil. plus the SOHC is supposed to have a slight advantage in the fuel economy department (so says the EPA).

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Really? Is yours the 5 cylinder? I used to love the original Quattro's noise.. still do in fact.

Depends what engine is in his A5... A well sorted Ur Quattro can sound lovely.... past 4k or so anyway - they sound pretty normal below that. If these new Audis still use that 5cyl engine he may not be delusional after all :)

Last edited: 15 Jun 2012
  4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I don't think they've ever put a 5cyl into the A5. I think true means that his S5/RS5's V8 sounds similar to the mighty 'stang above 4k.

5. Pookeyhead

Ah.. didn't realise he had the V8 one.

6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I should of been more clear, as I only saw and heard the first bit from inside the car. Obviously sounds nothing like that from out side the car. :)

Nope, I don't have a S5 or RS5, I only have the baby 1.8T FSI Sport - re-mapped to 211PS. Looking at getting a S5 next year. I would like the RS5, but that's out of my price range. (You can pick up a R8 for the price of a RS5, and I know which one I would go for.) :)

Not a very clear video of the engine noise, but through the first couple of gears, you should hear the engine note. :)

7. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

[​IMG]

BMW 118d :)

8. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

^ Nice, finally get to pick up my 118i (F20) tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only had 3 hours sleep last night, p***ed off half of Oxford thinking 3rd was 1st and kept stalling for the first 15 minutes I had the car.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2012
  9. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

10. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Here's some photos of my Discovery in it's natural environment..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fun :)

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That looks awesome fun. Do you ever see any Freelanders out there in the lanes? The Girl will be needing a soft-roader for her work as a vet next year, but I'd like something capable of off-road work with some knobbly tyres at the weekend. :D

12. Kraemer

Kraemer What's a Dremel?

I have a 2000 Audi A4 1.8 T. Love this thing and still drives like a champ at 212,XXX miles. Just wish that wee little turbo was bigger.

[​IMG]

13. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

You wouldn't want a large turbo. Turbo lag is a real killer. You press the pedal and nothing, nothing, nothing, then WROOM it tears your face off.

14. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Not necessarily true. Turbo lag is more perceived than anything else. Turbos work on engine load, not RPM. Guys with turbo mustangs use lower gears instead of higher ones to get the turbo to spool faster3:33 instead of 4:11. A properly sized turbo would not be an issue.

15. Kraemer

Kraemer What's a Dremel?

Lag would not be a problem. Drove a Evo 9 MR and I didn't notice any lag. Even took it to 160MPH.

16. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

The only freelanders you see doing proper offroading is a D-Lander. Freelanders are OK for the easy stuff, but they dont have diff locks or any real ground clearance. Get her to get a discovery - just as easy to drive on road, but miles better off road.

17. Pookeyhead

Get a Defender... a V8 one :)

18. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

The V8's are bloody awesome, but just be careful in deep water - they're not as robust in the deep stuff as a TDI.

19. Pookeyhead

Good point!

....I'd still get the V8 though :)

20. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Me too. Deep water is fun, but big hills are better. A few of my friends go so deep they have to stand up and can't reach the pedals. Mad.

I prefer to just mess about in mud!