Modding Make your own Intel NUC Case Competition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 14 Jun 2013.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

here are the product specs, the page linked to in the article is a bit lacking in detail... Page 46 has mounting hole measurements/spacing... but some pictures of the heatsink side of the board [with the heatsink on] wouldn't go amiss

2. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

3. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Have submitted my entry :D

4. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

Interesting thing this NUC, I think I'll give it a try :)

5. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

This looks like fun :) have a few ideas kicking around that would be perfect for this little board If I can find some time I'll throw in an entry :).

6. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Too bad that you must have a previous mod already done to enter. I have a lot of ideas, but no previous work to show :lol:

7. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Ah rules me out then,

Also my nuc is on the blink. It's doing the 3 flashes that means men error. I knew I should have updated the bios which is meant to fix it

8. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Unfortunately it's the best way to make sure people are able to make good on their designs and in the time scale we're looking at - we're essentially inviting proven modders to take part as Intel is clearly keen to see results . Not all competitions are like this though, our Raspberry Pi comp was open to everyone so we do try any cater for all modders! You know what to do though - get a project into your modding portfolio ;)

9. GuilleAcoustic

Completly agree :)

Please do not remind me of this missed contest :D :wallbash:

I did start an arcade stick 2 years ago ... http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=213065 ... and never finished it (even almost all of the pictures are no longer available) :dremel:

10. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

My last complete mod was a fair while ago would this still quality me to enter?

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Guille & Combatus -Could someone who really wants in crank out a nearly finished case instead of a sketch? (at the risk of building and not getting kit.)

-Seeing some promising names already.:D I'm bummed that Slipperyskip and Waynio have opted out, though.

12. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

So I have to ask...

I have never built a case (though I have designed several) because for the time being I have other projects that require financing, but I can show proof of other long term projects besides computer cases, would that suffice as proof I can commit and complete production? This extends to woodworking, ceramics, other art crafts, etc. I'd also be willing to provide proof of previous completed designs if requested.

Thoughts?

13. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Yep that's fine. So long as you have some evidence of your previous work that's okay.

Cheapskate - I'm not sure if you're opposed to knocking up a design or you've already got a project that can house an NUC :naughty: but Intel's main aim is to have the builders showcase their NUC boards in project logs for a few weeks as they build the cases. In return for the exposure they're happy to ship the hardware and let you keep it. With that in mind, there needs to be some 'in progress' stuff going on once the building phase starts but not a completed case posted in day one ;) Your reputation precedes you though - if its knocking up a design that's the issue then seriously - anything will do, even a photo of a cardboard mock-up.

sixfootsideburns - That's fine - ping me an email at modding@bit-tech.net with some examples and we'll go from there. All we're looking for are people with the skills and as you rightly put it - to be able to commit and complete production without taking a year to do it - everyone who enters needs be able to build the case in around 10 weeks during August and September.

14. awlllwa

awlllwa What's a Dremel?

15. awlllwa

awlllwa What's a Dremel?

Ehh, what the hey, I went ahead and submitted.
    :fingerscrossed:

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Combatus - That was a possibility for someone with no previous log to get an entry. Um, yeah...The ITX case I just ripped out is going in the closet.

@awlllwa -Sounds nuts!:D

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Rasberry PIe making competition got my appetite switched back on which I can NUC deny so it would be unINTELligent to miss out on playing in this one, plus Cheaps was bummed & can't be having that, twisted my arm. :p

I'll get me little crisis over with ASAP & then get started on a design, already got some interesting visions rolling though my mind which I've written down, I feel this compo will be awesome, let's make it so. :dremel::clap:

18. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

I've finished my floppy organ. Works 100%. Does that count as a mod?

Also, if we're going the AIO PC route, and permanently hijacking a port, is that an exception to the "all ports must be accessible" rule?

19. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

Stinkin' double-post!

Last edited: 18 Jun 2013
  20. GuilleAcoustic

My idea was ...

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

.... but that will be a personal project since my building skills require lot of time :lol:.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2013
Tags: Add Tags