1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Dancing Iridescence - PC-Q30 - Update 4th, March 2014 - Final Assembly

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mosquito, 10 Sep 2013.

1. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Thanks Craig! Wood trim... I've got some thin maple, I could always give it a look and see what it's like.

2. Asouter

Asouter --------

Just had a look at that Vid, the depth to that paint effect is amazing. When you apply the candy coat, is there some kind of pre-treatment as a primer ?
    Really like that effect, I can lots of people using your technique

3. Mosquito

Thanks Asouter :) No pre-treatment or primer before the Kandy coat (just a good cleaning). We did 3 coats of paint, then 2 coats of clear. Bill at MNPCTech documented the process in video, so hopefully we'll get to see that sometime in the not too distant future. :)

4. Mosquito

Just because I’m making sure I don’t let this go stagnant for too long, I’ve got another quick little update. I kept going back and forth on how to run the tubing, how to position the pump and drain, and where to put the bulkheads. So I just thought “Let’s just put them here, and go for it”. So I did; and totally in the wrong spot from what I meant to :)

[​IMG]
    First I decided to do a drain out the back, next to the PSU. There is a valve inline, so there’s more than just the plug there. (Also thinking after looking at this shot, I’ll probably end up painting the white MNPCTech White Delrin Case Feet in some sort of copper color, probably.

[​IMG]
    Now these were the two that I put in the wrong spot. Well, I put one in the wrong spot, and then copied it so it didn’t look as awkward. I meant to put these in the other corners, closer to the front.

[​IMG]
    I think I’m still ok with the placement, though. I just thought I’d want more clearance above the motherboard.

[​IMG]
    I’ll be adding either 45 or 90 degree fittings where just the compression fittings are currently; though I don’t really mind this look that much.

[​IMG]
    It’s going to be a bit of a squeeze, but here’s the positioning of the res-pump combo. The inlet and outlet are on the front, and I’ll probably be using 90 degree fittings even though I’ll be doing hardlines.

Then hopefully next time I’ll have an update with those side panels. They made a field trip to Bill’s shop, and we epoxied them to my acrylic substrate using Bill’s secret sauce (also known as 3M Scotch-Weld DP-190).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That’s it for this one, as always thanks for checking it out! And Happy Holidays!

Last edited: 31 Dec 2013
  5. keenan

keenan Minimodder

Love where you're going with this one man.. Big fan of your builds!!

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

"Hi, Neighbor! Can I borrow a cup of epoxy?"
    :lol:

7. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I like the paint effect a LOT!

8. Mosquito

Thanks Keenan! I can't compete with the kinds of paint jobs you do, so I'll stick to more abstract :lol:

:lol: I'll have to say that the next time I can get into the building and can knock on his door

Thanks John, glad to see you around again :rock:

9. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

lookin forward to hangin out with Mos & Brad, for the next stage of this project :rock:

10. Mosquito

Yeah! Panels turned out great. Will have an update with them soon :thumb:

11. mnpctech

awesome, was huge difference, they're like mirrors now..

12. Mosquito

I've made some progress on this again, so it's time for a little update :)

With the epoxy from last time cured it was time to bring the panels back to Brad's shop so we could wet sand, buff and polish.

[​IMG]
    Brad from Dirt Designs Graphic sits down with a cigar and some sand paper...

[​IMG]
    He wet sanded the panels with 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit sand paper to get rid of the nibs in the clear coat and paint.

[​IMG]
    Next up was buffing it, to bring back a little of the shine lost while sanding

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bill doing his thing, while Brad does his.

[​IMG]
    What a difference. On the left is the wet sanded panel, and the right is the buffed panel.

[​IMG]
    Last step was to really shine them up using polishing compound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up, I'll be working on wiring up some LEDs for these panels, and the case. Then hopefully get started on the install and watercooling parts.

Thanks for checkin' it out!

13. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Lovely what a little elbow grease can do. :)

14. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I know i said it before, but I just love that paint.. the rest of the projects not bad either either:lol::dremel:

15. mnpctech

Love this shot! ......can't wait till to see this build finished and running!

[​IMG]

16. Mosquito

It is indeed :)

lol thanks :D

Me too... hopefully soon, once the new APU's hit the market :thumb:

17. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Nice work on this one too Mosquito.Subbed!

18. Mosquito

Thanks Hero1! :thumb:

Well, it's been a little while since I updated, so here's a little update for now... Made a little shroud for to cover the PSU. It will also serve as a place to mount my SSD, since I removed the 2.5" drive mounting cage.

[​IMG]
    Measured and marked for cutting and bending.

[​IMG]
    Just used the workmate to make the two bends. Pretty simple, just clamped the piece with a scrap piece of wood on the bend line, then bent it using another scrap piece of wood. I've also marked it for the cuts yet to make, as I want it to be at an angle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Little bit of a test fit here. Should do nicely.

[​IMG]
    And then I painted it Semi-Gloss black to fit in place.

Well, that is about all the pictures I have right now. Like I said, a little update.

Next thing on the radar will be getting the LEDs mounted and run all the tubing :)

Thanks for following along, things should be moving a little more quickly soon! :D

19. mnpctech

the progress has me excited! :dremel:

20. Mosquito

Ok, it's been an unexpectedly very busy last couple of weeks, so I apologize for not getting an update out sooner.

Things are coming together quickly, in the few times I’ve been able to make actual progress.

[​IMG]

First, time for some hardware. Picked up an A10-7850k from Micro Center when they had them on sale ($129.99 is hard to pass up!)

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, Micro Center didn't stock any of the ITX FM2+ boards at the time, and newegg was out of stock on Gigabyte boards.
    I ended up going with the ASRock FM2A88X-ITX board. All in all, I think it'll do alright. I like the HDMI in as an option.

[​IMG]

The ASRock board comes with the crappy push in clips for holding the bracket on. No back plate like other boards have.
    I used a back plate from a different motherboard, but it hit a few IC's on the back of the board.
    I just used some washers and screws instead. Overall I kind of like the look better anyway.

[​IMG]

I was undecided as to whether or not I'd use the WiFi that it came with, but decided to install the antenna posts anyway.

[​IMG]

The wires were just long enough to let me run then under the motherboard, and in front of the PCIe slot. Keep it clean; I like that.

[​IMG]

Next up, a little 3M 4010 Tape to install the PSU/cable shroud.

[​IMG]

Plenty of room for airflow and cables to both find its way through.

[​IMG]

And got that installed. Covers up what I wanted to cover up perfectly.

[​IMG]

Now it's time to install some of the LEDs. I wired these up a few weeks ago, but ended up redoing most of them, as the side emitting LEDs ended up being rather fragile.

[​IMG]

More 3M 4010 Tape to give the LEDs a little bit of an angle, to get more light into the side panels. Love that stuff!

[​IMG]

I also installed some LED strips in the two cross bars that the window/front screw into.

[​IMG]

Testing it out, I think that'll do fine :)

[​IMG]
    Next time, I'll be doin' a little something with some goodies from ADATA, but more on that later.

Thanks for checking it out, as always. I should be able to get another update out in a week or so again. Back to good progress :)