1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Experiment Nr. 5 (Final pics on page 8)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by p0Pe, 17 Feb 2014.

1. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Rack and pinion. There is a belt hidden in the track.

Accurate enough for what we use it for I think.

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Don't want to trash the mans work log so just this one vid, this is pretty much the machine I bought with some up grades I also read it's possible to replace the bed with one with slots in so you can fit a revolving lathe type thing and carve on a tubular object while it's turning

I'll likely do a build log when I build mine it's going to be a real learning curve :)

@ B NEGATIVE/ p0Pe I really like your work mate true artist's at work.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2014
  3. Jeffinslaw

Jeffinslaw What's a Dremel?

Wow, I am in love with the panels, they look amazing! Will be a lot of machining though!

Jeffinslaw

4. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Alright all! With all the CNC talk going on in this thread, I think I better show off some of the progress I have been doing! :)

First of all, an update on how the inner systems looks at the moment:

[​IMG]

The pedestal watercooling box, cooled by two EK 280mm XTC radiators and four Corsair 140 mm fans.

[​IMG]

Pedestal again, from the rear. Right now I am using some random fittings as I did not have any bitspower that would fit the hoses, but these have since been swapped out. Right below the tubing exits, you can see the power plug that powers the pedestal.

[​IMG]

stable at 30 degrees. Fans turn off when under 30, and switch on at 40% speed at over 30 degrees.

[​IMG]

Here you can spot the EK Impact block sitting under the interconnect plate. The interconnect plate is covering most of the ASUS Impact motherboard, and I think it will look really good when I get some dye in the fluid!

You can also see that I finished up the sleeving and tidied it all up with some E22 cable combs. These things truly does wonders:D

[​IMG]

Front view.

[​IMG]

Fans removed to better see the sleeving. The sleeving is held together with E22 cable combs.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the ram block in the interconnect, and more sleeving :D

[​IMG]

You know you are running mini itx when your cooling system is around the same size as your PC :D

Thats all for now folkes! I will be back shortly with a CNC update! But until then, here is a small teaser:

[​IMG]

5. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

*slow clap*

A thread revival AND an update! How bout that...

Looking good, in any case! :thumb:

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Swwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

...and spellcheck exploded.:lol:
    Loving the surfacing pass. Usually the panels and stuff get finished before the guts get done. You've upset the balance once again.:D

7. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Its some kind of magic right :D And another one will be coming shortly when I get the time to throw it into the thread here ;) And hopefully more and more and more after that sooooon!

I am here to **** **** up!

8. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Holy mother of aluminium goodness!

9. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

That teaser....looks so incredibly futuristic. Will you keep the grooves or will you sand it flat?

10. LegendaryScott

LegendaryScott Trying to live up to the name

:jawdrop: Wow, .....

11. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

You can never have to much raw material:D

I am debating to keep it like this, or polish to a mirror finnish. There really is no "grooves" and when wiping a finger across the surface, it feels totally flat :D

Thanks man!

12. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

So lets get started on the thing that should hopefully make this build really unique!
    I finally got all the material home, and got some time to start on the final stage of this project - the outer shells. Peter AkA Myrizzle, a good friend of mine, was nice enough to help me out with these as he has access to some fine machines, and the skills to use them.

The parts you will see in this update is the "rough" side of the panels. Meaning that they are the sides that will be sitting in towards the case.

Milling time for the top and front was around 15-20 min, while the big sidepanels was around 30 min.

[​IMG]

Starting out with the top panel. This is a massive chunk of solid aluminium, and most of it will be chipped away.

[​IMG]

The machine of choice. I want one of these so bad!

[​IMG]

First off, we had to make some new clamps, as the existing ones was not wide enough to hold the panels.

[​IMG]

The clamps was made so that they are just mounted on top of the existing ones, making for easy mounting.

[​IMG]

A bit of programming. This is the boring part that you just want to be done with:D

[​IMG]

The new clamps had to have a slot milled into them to keep the panels in place, and at a fixed hight.

[​IMG]

Zeroing the machines XY and Z axis

[​IMG]

Some of the tools used.

[​IMG]

This proberly being my favorit. This 8 mm can chip away material at an insane speed:D

[​IMG]

We started out with this huge cutter for face milling, but since the plate was so wide, and hard to fix in the clamps, it made a lot of vibrations, so we eventually switched to the 8 mm cutter.

[​IMG]

Roughening out with the 8 mm. And yes, there will be a video of this, hence the GoPro mounted:D

[​IMG]

Finished result of the top piece. Now we just need the other side, but that is going to take a lot longer than 15 min!

[​IMG]

Overview of the top panel.

[​IMG]

The two big holes will be used to mount the plate on top of the CaseLabs S3 case. The small ones will be for mounting all the panels together.

[​IMG]

Finished, and put next to the cake that kept us running:D

[​IMG]

On the front we used the 8 mm cutter for the face milling. You can see the pattern this created in the next few pictures. It also created a lot less vibrations in the material.

[​IMG]

wiping away cooling fluid. It makes for a nicer finish, and also expands the life of the cutters.

[​IMG]

Here you can really see the square pattern the face milling created.

[​IMG]

Another shot of the result.

[​IMG]

And guess what!!! It actually fits onto the case:D This was an especially nerve wrecking time, as there where a lot of different measures to keep taps on when making these!

[​IMG]

Another shot. I am dying to get this thing done!

[​IMG]

And a quick picture of one of the side panels. These things are HUGE. And HEAVY!

[​IMG]

And they take up quite a bit of space inside the mill:D

Thats all for now guys and girls! I hope to bring more soon :)

13. OrangeClockwerk

OrangeClockwerk Clockwerk Industries

Good god I am jealous of that CNC. I want it!!.. Awesome stuff here Hans Cant wait for more!!

14. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

15. easynator

easynator What's a Dremel?

16. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Brilliant Work, the finish you put into it is just amazing! :thumb:

What photography equipment do you use, the Pictures are superb!

PS. GIV MIG DIT VÆRKSTED :jawdrop:

17. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Great solution for the fans :thumb: Also the milled bits get me excited :D

(yes, it's taken me far too long to find my way to this thread)

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I missed an update. :(
    Bit bumped you with MOTM. :)
    I get to see the update.:rock:

-Really, that panel looks tiny in the mill. The bit is WAY up in the top corner of the pic too. I'd love to never have to ask, "will it fit?"
    ...Please don't take that out of context.:worried:

19. DBRichard

DBRichard What's a Dremel?

Been following your work on this mate, I'm eager to see the finished case :)

20. myrizzle

myrizzle What's a Dremel?

Awesome CNC work. Waaaaait a minute :D
    I did it! Cant wait to do some progress on the mod!