1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Cooler Similar to the H80

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by numanoid, 15 Nov 2014.

1. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Hi guys, what coolers are available that are similar the the Corsair H80...And are they as good...
    thanks guys

2. simmo0916

simmo0916 What's a Dremel?

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's a bit of a worry they couldn't be bothered to purge that massive air bubble before shooting the video!

4. simmo0916

simmo0916 What's a Dremel?

I would be interested in seeing if anyone has one of these, and if they think they are any good. I want an all in one system for my CPU myself - Just want it in blue!

5. doyll

doyll Minimodder

The simple truth is upper level air coolers are as good or better than all but a couple AIO coolers .. and none of the CLC are better at similar noise levels. Most are several degrees hotter. Most will be loosing cooling in a year or two as their pumps wear out. Many have failed in less than a year .. and if pump fails you have no cooler at all .. they aren't even a good paperweight. Air coolers last virtually forever with only the fan to fail .. and it it does, many will run passively at low load or strap on any fan you have until replacement arrives.

Once we adjust CLCs to similar noise levels the only ones really in the same league as top air are Swiftech H220-X and H240-X

[​IMG]

Edit: H80 perform similar to H100i

6. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

But air coolers are a twot to fit, cut your hands and get in the way of other components and put more strain on the MOBO.
    AIO all the way for me.

7. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

This. I have torn my hands up too many times on air coolers, so I don't tend to bother any more. Plus, I didn't like the strain that my last big air cooler (a Frio) put on my motherboard, and it covered up two of my RAM slots so it annoyed me!

I do see the performance appeal of big air coolers, but to be honest, AIOs are good enough for me :) Most of the Corsair range are much of a muchness to be honest - what's your budget?

8. doyll

doyll Minimodder

There are lots of Hydro "refurbished" CLCs out there.

Ever see "refurbished" air coolers?

Now, where do you think all those CLCs to be refurbished come from? :confused:

Surely they aren't new coolers or they would be sold as such with the full warranty instead of the 90-day .. or sometimes 1 year warranty. :nono:

Or are they dumping new ones as "refurbs" with less warranty because they don't think they will last the 3 - 5 years their warranty is normally for? :idea:

Either way I'm not playing their game .. although I have been thinking of trying a Swiftech out. :thumb:

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

As for the size issue of large air coolers I don't think they save any space in the end as you have to mount a largish radiator and fan which are pretty much the size of the air cooler. Definitely avoids the issue of blocking ram slots though

10. doyll

doyll Minimodder

If you change RAM a lot there are some good single tower coolers that resolve that issue. :D

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You keep rolling out that same chart, but I can't help but think you've messed up somewhere.

I've run my current setup on a i30 HSF, custom loop, H80 and a H100i - without any changes the H100i was cooler by several degrees and quieter than the H80, only marginally behind my full loop at similar noise levels. It isn't scientific, granted, but it's enough for me to doubt your claims.

12. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Honestly, I'm glad you doubt my claims, but it's not my data. As it says on the chart George Cella did the testing. The proof is out there from other review sources too.

The biggest problem with most cooler testing is the use of room ambient as baseline. The only really important temperature is not the room but the air gong into the cooler / radiator. Using room ambient is like monitoring the temperature of your bedroom and saying that is the temperature of your kitchen. :wallbash: Kitchen temp changes depending on what's cooking, windows, etc. .. with temps being quite different from bedroom. :duh:

13. David

I agree with your point, but it isn't like I tested the H80 in July and the H100i in February in a tent.

I have a thermostat about 6 feet from my PC, with a big digital readout. I did say mine wasn't a scientific study but I did consider some factors when making my observations. FWIW, the ambient temp in my man cave doesn't vary more than a degree or so, thanks my the wife's obsessive insistence on having the house at a comfortable temperature during the day.

14. doyll

doyll Minimodder

I've read many reviews on them both and they both have very similar cooling ability .. room ambient is not cooler intake. H100 is 2x 120omm fan moving air in / out of case compared to H80's one (stacked doesn't count) meaning H100 is moving about twice as much are, so temps could be quite different inside of case for each .. and therefor the radiator intake air temp.

Are your man cave temp the same as bedroom or kitchen .. or cooler intake? :D

15. David

I don't understand what you're driving at. If the air temp around my man cave doesn't vary much, it's fair to assume that the different coolers are operating in pretty much the same conditions. What has the kitchen or bedroom got to do with anything?

16. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I'm confused about what you are getting at here?

17. doyll

doyll Minimodder

The difference is that the temperature inside your case .. specifically the air temp going into cooler is not the same as your room temp. Just as the temp in your kitchen or bedroom is not necessarily the same as your man cave.

The difference in cooling you experienced is very likely the result of temperature change of the air going into the radiators was .. not a difference in cooling ability of the coolers. If air going into H100i was most likely several degrees cooler than the air going into the H80 and that translates to the CPU also being several degrees cooler. The H100 has 2x 120mm fans side by side drawing air through the case compared to the H80's 1x 120mm fan. The area the fans are in is twice as big on H100 resulting in more airflow, and different airflow than H80 .. assuming both were mounted in same area of case. If H80 was mounted to back and H100 to top than the case airlfow is changed even more.

But if we knew the what the temperature of air going into cooler / radiator intake, we know if it's cooler intake air temp changing the CPU temp rather than assuming it is a better cooler.

That is why I keep using the analogy of bedroom to man cave or kitchen. :thumb:

Different air temp going into cooler means different CPU temps. Unless we know what the cooler intake air temp is we have no accurate base on which to make any evaluations of how good or bad a cooler really is .. especially if the difference is less the 5-8c .. because the case air and therefor cooler intake air temp can easily change that much while the room remains the same temp after changing the coolers being tested. :wallbash:

18. doyll

doyll Minimodder

It started with cooler ability (CLC vs air) and I wandered off explaining why even though H80 and H100 perform similar that changing from one to the other can still change your CPU temp way more than the degrees the cooler is removing from CPU when the abstract room ambient temp is used instead of the temperature of air going into cooler / radiator.

We see everyone throwing numbers out about this and that cooler being best, but none of them have any idea what the baseline air temp going into their cooler is. :wallbash: Which means their numbers have no standard baseline at all. :duh:
    Sorry.

19. David

Nope. You still don't get it.

If the conditions in the room do not change then there will be no difference in ambient air temperature in the room, thus no difference in intake air temperature for the different coolers!

There isn't a magical eddy current of warmer or cooler air snaking through the room, making a bee-line for my cooler intake, just to fug up my readings.

ONe more time for good measure - If room conditions remain broadly the same during the observation periods, the act of switching to a different cooler has no bearing on the intake temperature.

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Doyll you're talking about as much sense as a kangaroo having sex with a penguin in order to turn lead into a chocolate gateaux. If you're ambient temp is the same and you're running the same game or benchmark with all the same components other than the hsf, then the air temp going through the hsf will be same. If anything, aio coolers are at a disadvantage as the air is likely to have passed over the heatsinks for the vrms before going through the rad. But mostly you quite clearly have no idea what's goin on.