1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Wierd CPU Performance + Temps (4790K)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by damien c, 17 Jan 2016.

1. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

So I have been having issues with my CPU temps and I was getting fed up with them, so I created a thread on OC3D asking if people would de-lid my 4790k since the temperatures were just stupid.

To give you a idea before de-lidding the cpu my temps were going in excess of 87c per core with a H100i, with 4 fans in push/pull, when running OCCT with AVX enabled at 1.312v or 1.25v, but it would crash within a minute or two of testing.

I then decided to talk to my dad and see what he thought, and in the end I took the cpu out and popped it in a vice, popped the IHS off and applied some Artic MX4 and reseated the CPU, then applied some MX4 to the IHS and fitted the H100i's Block and booted the pc.

PC booted fine and temps were abit lower, not a staggering amount but 2c per core and the core temps are much closer together.

Prior to de-lidding the CPU I had tried multiple different CPU voltages and the pc would crash with anything lower than 1.3v or the CPU VCore set to Auto, when running OCCT with or without AVX enabled.

After de-lidding the CPU I am now trying different voltages again and have found that, I can now run OCCT with AVX enabled at 1.25v and also 1.18v set in the bios and it runs for over an hour.

I am still testing with different voltages (1.16v) to see how low I can get the voltages with OCCT running with AVX for at least 1 hour before, I then go to trying to run for longer.

So since de-lidding the CPU I am now able to run lower voltages which I couldn't prior to de-lidding which I personally find strange although it could just be a strange coincidence.

Also I have notced that voltages also do not seem to be affecting the temperatures that much.

Ambient room temp 24c with a core voltage of 1.25v the peak temperatures were 80c, with 1.180v the peak temps 76c and now with 1.16v in 4 minutes of testing the peak is currently 73c.

I have some Coollaborty Liquid Pro coming on Tuesday which I am going to put on the Die and then test again.

Cooling is currently a Corsair H100i with 4 Akasa Apache Black's in Push/Pull.

Now the temps still seem high to me, but do you think it's coincidence that the voltages are now being able to run lower and does anyone have any ideas about why the temps are barely dropping?

2. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Different TIMS will make very little difference a couple of degrees between the best and the worst I would say. The temperature and voltage thing is strange though, have you tried different mounting techniques for the for the H100 maybe adding a bit more pressure (although obviously don't go overboard) also is the H100 definitely working correctly? Do you have another cooler you could use to see if it is a problem with the H100 perhaps

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

You're using a high fpi rad with pretty poor fans. As mentioned you could also have a poor mount with the block. Cool Lab Pro might get you an additional 3-4ºC

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I was using Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans with the H100i and the temps were higher.

I looked around the net the other week and found that people were saying to put washers on the backplate, to make a more secure mount which I did but it didn't really do anything to the temps.

I have tried different mounting orientations of the H100i, and the temps always remain the same.

The only other cooler I have is the stock cooler.

5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well I managed to scrounge together the bits needed to do a custom loop, so spent the time yesterday building that and it dropped the temps down to a peak of 70c.

Will try the Coollaboratory Liquid Pro today when it turns up.

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Update for you.

I have received the Coollaboratory Liquid Pro and applied some to the Die, and used some Clear Nail Polish over the little bits next to the die, I cannot remember the name of them I think it's power regulators or something like that.

I then used some Noctua NT-H1 on the IHS between that and the EK Waterblock.

Booted up the PC and loaded OCCT with CPU-Z, Core Temp and Real Temp and turned on OCCT with AVX enabled and the max Core Temps are now 60c so a full 10c drop, just by using the Coollaboratory Liquid Pro on the Die compared, to Artic MX4 on the Die and Noctua NT-H1 between the IHS and the block.

Happy with the temps now, and I can look at overclocking soon.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Very entertaining read this mate! Keep us updated!

8. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Will do, one thing I have noticed is that since lowering the voltage to 1.160v every other boot there is a issue that I go to open up a program and the machine just crashes but when it boots back up, it works perfectly fine and will run OCCT for over 7 hours.

I will eventually get to looking at overclocking, but I might need to drop the ram speed as iirc the IMC on these chips can sometimes throw a tantrum if you try to overclock, whilst run ram at a high speed.

Will be a interesting few days, but it's funny that this has all started since I decided that now that I can record gameplay at 4K and wanting to upload it to Youtube at 4K, I need to reduce rendering times and basically in order to do that I need to overclock my cpu.

I did try using my other pc, but to render a 15 minute 4K it took 3.5 hours where as my main machine even with the high temps it, was taking only 1.5 - 2.0 hours at the most.

Oh well time to start playing.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Sounds like it's not taking the vcore changes on first boot up. Could be speedstep related

10. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well with issue seems to be resolved now, I have upped the voltage to 1.2v in the bios and the temps increased by a whopping 1c on the hottest core but there doesn't appear to be any issues any more.

I put the H100i on to my mini ITX system this morning and it has dropped the temps on the cores by around 10c, so I will leave it in there as there is no other system that can make use of it at the moment.

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Those were pretty bad temps for stock speeds. Glad you got it sorted but what a PITA! if you've delidded you could see about going direct to die with the block which could further reduce temps. EK even do a special mounting kit for delidded chips to prevent crushing the die.

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I've got one of the naked mount kits for EK Supremacy blocks - I use it on my naked Ivy. It works a treat!

13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I will look in to one of those when I get a chance, but it would appear this chip doesn't like to be overclocked, cannot get the multiplier to go past 46 but it's stable at 4.6Ghz with 1.25v.

I might try again at some point but for 200Mhz it's not worth it, I would prefer to try and get at least 4.8Ghz.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Most review sites where using 1.3+ for 4.6ghz so you have a better chip than they got. They tapped out at 4.8ghz with the chip at 98c and using 1.4vcore crazy stuff really.

Haswell was always a pretty bad overclocker.

15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

1.6 is still pretty decent. I can run my 3570k @ 4.3 on stock volts, but to get to 4.4 took a big bump and a fair bit of tweaking. Had to take it off cause of some weird bug on RB6 seige not liking oc'd cpus :miffed: