Motors Speeding court summons

Discussion in 'General' started by DeadP1xels, 16 Feb 2016.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

It happened. I got caught speeding on the motorway in a temporary 50 zone going 66 i clearly have no excuses.

I've done a speed awareness course many years ago, (fingers crossed its three or more) but i'm staring down the barrel of a gun whether or not it could be a court summons.

I'm quite rightly angry at myself but what are my chances? I seriously could do without this :wallbash:

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

A bit of general googling suggests that you'll get a £60 fine and 3 points - 66mph is above the cut off for a course (looks like it varies from area to area, but is generally for speeds under 64mph in a 50 zone) but below the cut off for a summons (apparently c. 76mph in a 50 zone). Of course, that assumes a clean record, so YMMV.

3. DeadP1xels

I've read on certain areas under 64 could be a fixed penalty of 3 points and fine. over that could be 4 points and a fine.

I don't expect the course, i'm twice over the last time i got caught (2012 maybe 30 in a 38)

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I guess you just have to wait and see.

I suspect it's still the case but previously the different constabularies didn't share data, so you could get caught in Hampshire doing 37 in a 30 and do the course, then get caught in Dorset the next week doing 37 in a 30 and do another course there.

Good luck with it anyway.

5. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I remember receiving my second ticket in my first year of driving which would of banned me. I filled in the details and wrote a sob story to the person receiving the note hoping it would pull on some heart strings and they would send me on a driving course (which i was completely going to fast for anyway) so it was a ban…

Received a note saying “Sorry it's our decision who goes on the course” or something along the lines.

Then i never heard anything, no fine, no court, no points, nout

what a complete pain in the backside though m8!

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Dude, I feel your pain. I got caught doing 59 in exactly the same circumstances and for various reasons had to go to a summons. I was made to feel like I was worse than Hitler for doing this, despite the fact it was five in the bloody morning (so no workmen were on the road) and I had deliberately chosen to travel at that time to avoid the traffic on the way back to the folks.

The whole speeding thing pisses me off no end. It should all be about distances IMO. Who's more dangerous - the guy driving at 90 with no one else around on the motorway on a nice day, or the arsehole BMW driver right up your arse on a rainy day whilst still under the speed limit.

7. DeadP1xels

I've got all items crossed for the points and a fine. I was driving late at night also and make the 130 mile journey twice a week so this isn't common occurrence. This time i happened to be driving late and i slipped up.

Still quite irritated at myself, cancelled so many direct debits saving myself £45 a month. I feel thats going to go towards car insurance now

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

That sucks, I do hope it is as light as possible. As Pete said, these motorway speed cameras are missing the point.

Even causing more dangerous driving:
    I usually set cruise control at my sat-nav's 70mph. I often see people speed in the overtaking lane up to a speed camera and slow down to slower than my speed. The sudden braking or even unnecessary change of speed is more dangerous than normal cruise at a constant speed.

9. DeadP1xels

So what was your slap on the wrist (pm if more comfortable)?

Although i respect the layout of the road i don't even feel 50 is truly necessary throughout those parts, granted they're tight and if you're not an entirely confident driver it can be quite daunting coming up side a 7 and a half tonner. maybe i'm wrong which is likely given i'm about to get some points.

Again i should have known, Signs were present and i did see them i knew they were there beforehand and i should have checked my speed coming in. It was a stupid mistake and golly i'll pay the price for it. Here comes months of grandad driving!! :thumb:

I'm praying that 2mph difference will spare me 4 points and a larger fine given the circumstance, Would also prefer not to go to court and stand as the bad man who risked hundreds of lives. I feel like a divvy so i'm quite happy to take my just punishments and get on with life.

10. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Fwiw an SP30 doesn't really affect your insurance premiums. < Ex biker, had points.

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

£160 and three points - the fine was probably more than normal though.

Grr.

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

That's the only reasonable way. There is only one person responsible for you getting caught, you the driver, driving too fast.

I've been caught twice... Fortunately for me, not when driving at over 120mph on a deserted dual-carriageway. Early morning on the A303 Ilminster bypass, Somerset, about 27 years ago.

13. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

That stretch of road is a right Royal PITA...

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I don't think you have anything to worry about. A couple of years ago I got a letter from the powers that be saying that I had been clocked at 80mph in a 70 zone. The penalty? £100 and 3 points. And now I don't speed. :lol:

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I'm surprised you'd get done for doing 80. It seems everyone is doing 80+ these days.

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yeah I was surprised too. I think it's the lowest it's possible to get penalised for, which is kinda lame to be honest, but the law is the law (derp). I'll happily cruise at 75 on the motorway and I'll do 80 if necessary for overtaking, but I'm more careful now because I just don't want any more fines or points. Before my fine I would cruise at 85-90, in keeping with all the other drivers on the road!

17. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I've done 83 right past a police speed trap (more than once) and I never heard anything more about it. So I don't know how much they care about mid 80's.

18. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

Just did a speed awareness course (+£90 admin fee) for doing 62 in a 50 zone.

19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the average increase for an SP30 is 30% increase , even a non fault accident increases your insurance! although don't get TT99 - that's a 400% increase

20. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

My friend got caught recently doing I think it was 65 mph in the average 50 zones, and they were harsher on him because it was an average camera and it was late at night so he ended up getting a summons.

There are rough guidelines about which I think bawjaws said but there are probably mitigating and aggravating factors which change that