1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The weight loss thread

Discussion in 'General' started by mansueto, 25 Feb 2013.

1. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Finally got back into things about 1.5 months ago. Down ~17 pounds, at 215ish now, just 5 pounds over my previous best from a few years ago. It's been significantly easier this time around now that I have no meds in me. Fridays and weekends I still eat whatever I want, but the rest of the week I've been avoiding junk and whatnot. I can't wait for better weather for more outdoor sports.

I've also joined a gym, currently only going once a week, but that will slowly ramp up as I get accustomed to it and develop a bit of a regime / schedule. I'm pretty happy / excited, last time I dropped down to 210, it took me 3-4 months to lose 20 pounds, I'm already down 15 in 1.5, and I feel great! Quite optimistic. Currently aiming for 200, but I could keep it going. I don't have a magic number, just trying to slim down / get some confidence.

2. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

i started exercising yesterday again some circuits whilst listening to the wan show

3. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Man i’m fat as heck again, going to the gym once a month just isn’t cutting it… Keep telling myself i’ll start jogging but once again… that never happens.

I know for a fact it’s mainly my diet because i have all the information i need and can easily setup a diet and advanced training routines that work for my body type aka getting results.

No Motivation no Change :(

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Weird.

Dropped 4 Kg's (due to Illness), lost waist size (two holes on the belt) then regained the 4 Kg fairly quickly, but kept the two holes on the belt.

5. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Today was gym session 300!
    [​IMG]

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I've seen this thread around before and I've gone back & fore about whether I should post in here or not. So forgive me if I ramble a bit...

I've had a few attempts at dieting over the last couple of years - even got a bike through cycle2work last year - but never really stuck with it. I started using myfitnesspal about 5 years ago, and apparently I was 21st at the time. When I was making an effort last year I was around 23st. I got on the scales on Saturday and it said "ERR". The scales have a weight limit of 24st, and before "ERR" flashed up on screen, sure enough I saw the number hit at least 24st. That scared the crap out of me.

The scientific consensus on how we humans lose weight is by expending more energy (calories) than we consume. So. No fancy diets, no tricks, no supplements, no pills, no "lose weight FAST" schemes: just calories in vs calories out. I need a total lifestyle change if I want to get to 40 without major health issues or keeling over dead: regular exercise, eating the right things, and everything in moderation - all that stuff that sounds so easy yet is difficult to put into practice.

Apparently my TDEE (calories needed to maintain current weight) is ~3400 calories; in the past I've managed ~2200 per day, so I've set my target at 1900 per day - a deficit of ~1500 per day. It seems restrictive, but I've managed that before and I can do it again. I already know the things which drag me down: carbs (potatoes, bread, pasta) and sugar (fizzy drinks, sweets, chocolate, etc).

I had my bike serviced at a local shop on Saturday and since then I've been out on it every day except yesterday (my legs felt totally dead). I'm trying to do at least 15 minutes every day, and next week I'm going to try cycling into work again. I also have a Fitbit Surge, which has already proved to be extremely helpful.

I started on Saturday at a minimum of 24st (152.4kg). I weighed myself on Tuesday and it read 23st 12lb (151.kg); I jumped on the scales again this afternoon again and it read 23st 7lb (149.2kg). I'll do a "proper" weigh in and update everything on on Sunday, because at the moment I refuse to believe that I've lost at least 7lb in 5 days.

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    New milestone today. 180kg 8 clean and honest reps. Full stretch as well

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Great to hear you've got the motivation to do something :)

With regards to weight, I'm actually a fan of weighing more often and taking an average, as daily weight can fluctuate quite a bit due to water retention due to salt intake etc.

In the end don't get too bogged down in the numbers on the scale as long as they're moving in the right direction (which they will if you stick to the diet and are honest with your tracking)

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Don't doubt it - at least initially, the weight will come of very, very quickly. I lost 7 lbs in just 3 days of dieting when I started back in mid February (at 14st 10lbs), and I managed to sustain fully 4 days of eating only 800 cals per day. That was tough, but it was necessary to get myself in gear for further weight loss. The more calories you cut out, the more weight you will lose, and it will obviously eventually slow down. I was losing a lot of weight without any exercise at all; just sensible eating.

Something I found very helpful (which you may not) is having a weekly or twice-weekly weight target. Latterly I aimed for 2lbs weight loss per week and I managed it for over a month, and I'm very happy at 13st (at the moment) so won't be religiously following my weight targets for May. In saying that, over the summer I plan to get myself down to 12st or thereabouts.

[​IMG]

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The motivation is to not die! :)

Yeah, this is a long-term thing. Right now I have to be concerned with numbers; this needs to be a long-term thing, and if I'm going to stick to it then I need to break an awful lot of long-term bad habits. Once I get down below 18/19st I'll be less concerned with checking the scales so often.

Through diet alone I'm aiming for a loss of about 3lbs a week, so any losses above that from exercise are a bonus. I will reach the point where the weight loss from dieting will tail off, but right now there's a hell of a lot of excess fat to shift.

11. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

196 lbs and holding. That's ~47 lbs gone for good unless I start to put it back on as muscle. Still working on overall health and fitness, neither of which is particularly good at the moment.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Gone from a 34" waist to a 36" since the birth of my second child four months ago, so it's back on the diet. Using MyFitnessPal on my smartphone, as before, because that worked pretty well last time.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Despite:

• Pizzas (twice)
    • Take aways (three times)
    • Two bottles of wine in one night
    • Four bottles of beer last night
    • Numerous "ah f--- it" moments

I've shifted 11lbs in two weeks.

14. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Been quiet from me of late though Id update as ive started loosing weight again. Started back in Jan really hammering cycling mainly with a bit of running. gone from a 36in wait to 34in waist. Fat has come down from 28% to 20% mainly left is water retention which has always been a struggle for me.
    Good reference in terms of overall fitness, did 52 miles for a cycle event yesterday in 3Hrs 31mins. That included stopping because I lost a spoke on a wheel so had to stop to secure it an remove the rear brake.
    Last year I did the same event in 4Hrs 10mins, so safe to say an improvement.

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Just under three weeks and I've lost 14lb. Yeah, pretty happy with that!

16. bixylindy

bixylindy What's a Dremel?

I have been doing the following to reduce weight. Eat less but nutritious food. Less carbohydrates, since I dont burn them so quickly. Walk more, be more mobile. No snacking, drink more water, be hydrated so you can stop craving for junk food. Dont over eat, eat enough to not feel hungry. Have some peaceful moment with yourself.

17. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Going through a quarter-life-crisis so I need to get in shape. My 15 year old self would be disappointed.

No need to carve a new path if one exists so does anyone have articles or guides on nutrition bookmarked?

18. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I've been so busy with work and everything else that I haven't been around for months! I've currently sitting around 208 pounds, peaked around 200-205ish (my scale said 205, doctors said 200), and I got lazy so started going back to some old habits. Ive dropped from a 40 waist down to 36, and fitted large shirts are now an option (brand depending). I'm feeling a lot better about myself, and it's mostly just been walking and a ton of sports, while cutting out some junk. I'm not super strict with my diet (though once sports slow down I'll have to step up my diet game). I'm significantly faster and more limber than most people expect, especially for people who I've played sports with a year or two ago and who haven't seen my changes. I feel like a new player / person.

I've never been more comfortable with my own body, or confident. It's an amazing feeling! Here's to dropping below 200 again, and getting the body fat % down. I encourage anyone that's struggling to just keep working at it, one day at a time. It's okay to fall of the wagon, you just need to get back up, dust yourself off and get back on. Determination and effort will eventually pay off!

19. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I got too confortable in life and put back on from 236 to i think 212 (nice) now i am back to 236 but last few days got it down to 234 just from not eating bread for two days and walking at lumch time.

Its fitbit time. I need to lile those other dudes at 3rd space. Some people at the gym are in some great shape, inspiring.

No more bread, and basic exercise should see 10lb fly off.

Exercise boosts brain power if you are doing certs.

20. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

2 days ago I hit the 400th Gym Session mark (I keep count).