1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROJECT: The BEAST.. WARNING PICTURE INTENSE

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by thorilan, 29 Aug 2003.

1. thorilan

thorilan What's a Dremel?

2. thorilan

[​IMG] this is kinda a rough sketch of what the design for the other side will look like . currently 15 fans all of them speed controlled in some form or another

3. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

15 fans
    :eeek: :eeek: :eeek: :eeek: :eeek:

Are you going to set up a sort of big hair dryer?!?!?

My dual P!!! server has 6 fans in it and it screams as an hurricane even at low voltage!

Waiting to see more...

GeeK!

4. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

Wow, is that over kill or no?

5. Lucifer

Lucifer What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow:
    you're blowing air on the back of a pcb, which is next to a lump of plastic, which has a lump of organic substrate on it with a hot bit of sillicon on top. there is no way you will make any significant difference to the core temperature by blowing on the back of the mobo

6. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

It sounds like you're cooling components that don't need cooling. also the number of fans probably wouldn't be need in practice, unless you're going to for record overclocks, but then you'll probably want different cooling on the CPU...

But then this is modding and the rule more is better can apply - so i say go for it! and if they don't make much of a difference, make them bigger! :D

7. thorilan

this is the key word.
    your right that it isnt significant but its a diference all the same. and i wasnt aiming at just cooling the core.
    look at the placement in an earlyer pic and youll see the open cuts and its not centered on the cpu for a reason. im inducing an air flow throughout the case that i hope will drop its ambient by 3C with less stagnation areas and hopefully use the case as a natural heatsink.
    i have tried this with 3 amd heatsinks in an older system placing the heatsing and fan combos with the fans reversed to pull the air through the heatsink then direct it up and out and on that smaller case the ambient was noticibly diferent ,especialy around the hard drives and the exhaust from the psu was a lot cooler also.
    and since this is my last month working at the research center im using all the equipment and resoarces i can so im trying to get this as over kill designed as possible without spending any more money . i already spent enough on the silver and other parts as it is .

as for cooling parts that dont need cooling. thats all in how you look at it. anything that gets hot needs cooling.

8. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

even my kettle? :D

9. thorilan

[​IMG]

heatsinks added to the router

10. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

There was a time when I thought more is better. Still I dont see the point of having so many fans and water cooling. Watercooling is mainly for quietness, and coolness (in everypossible way). Still MOD ON! :dremel:

11. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

Nice work dude, call me old, but 15fans bit over the top? Man I hope you get quiet fans!!

12. thorilan

no 15 fans is not a lot. im counting all fans. including psu and NB fans in that number. things that i would think are more over the top would be the S.S.C. and the huge res. most of the fans are very small and all fans in the case are speed controlled.

the one behind the mobo cant be heard. the 2 to cool the HD cant be heard . the intake and exhaust fans and rad cooling fans for the rad are all hooked up to rheobus ( 2 per channel )
    the psu holds 2 fans which are controlled and since the air flow in the case is good the psu sensor should keep those at low speed also. the NB fan will go away when i get the hydras from cathar.

basicaly i just have 2 extra 80mm fans for exhaust and 2 50mm fans for the hard drive and a 40mm fan for the mosfets but i DONT have a huge fan in the window like many people and the fan at the top of the case is part of the push pull config for the radiator.

the idea is lots of slower fans are less noisy than a few high powered fans and because i have more exhaust fans than intake i hope to have a minor negative preasure in the case .

due to the fact that i have a lot of LED and 4 ccfl in the case along with a router , whole case air flow is important .

also remember that 1 fan is outside on the top. and 6 of the other fans can not be seen ( 1 psu 2 top exhaust 2 HD coolers and 1 behind mobo)

if you look father back in the pics you will also see some wiring done to stealth them and aid in air flow.

so if anything i should only be able to hear 2 intakes if at all and the top exhaust ( all fans on rheo so i can adjust noise lvls) so i just have to worry about the low hum of the pump ( hydro L30 )

as for power to them all and all the lights in the case i have a antec tp 550 so i should be good

so when people see 15 fans thier first impression is OMG but once they get the idea of each fans size speed placement and use they slowly see that i should not have much if any noise
    ;)

13. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

LOL, mate I know how u feel I go and go crazy things and tell r like OMG, u r crazy..:p. 15 fans how r u going to get all the power for them??

Good luck dude

14. Giblet Plus!

Giblet Plus! What's a Dremel?

I think he's gonna use a Truepower 550W or something like that.

15. thorilan

16. thorilan

17. thorilan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is the sounblaster live platinum with an audigy2 black face plate that i used a black paint pen on because it will be in one of the bays but i didnt want any ugly grey things in the bays sticking out where it could be seen. did the same thing to floppy drive also.
    the black aluminum chord mounting brackets are sprayed black and if you look at the mounted power strip earlyer youll see its use

18. Penguin4x4

Penguin4x4 What's a Dremel?

Why not drill out the rivets holding the HDD cage in and putting your heatercore there? :cooldude: :)

19. thorilan

my HD cage is not riveted on.
    the reason im not puting the core there is because i want the air leave my system through the radiator so i am not adding heat in other areas .
    and the fact that we have lots of unused space at the tp of the case. oh andbecause i dont have room to have push pull and shrouds without making it look stuffed in . it wuold also meanmoving the hard drives which would mean re working the design and wiring .

look at the size of the res i designed . you couldnt fit it in with the push pull rad with shrouds if i have both at the bottom.
    one of the major items im adressing is case clutter with wiring and locations of parts.

you can also hear the fans sucking air through the rad just a little bit more because the frequency of the sound is is higher pitched when you place them there ( noticed this on another system that i put the rad in front) where as the freq. is lower on the fans in this situation so that its not so much a whine as a low humm.

20. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

This case is looking great! Keep the pics coming Thorilian!

Sam