1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Jesus! How do you even get 846 million in fines?!

2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I sat at Robigo Mines, and picked up the Smuggle Slaves missions to fill the cargo space on a python then abandoned the mission which gives you a fine of equal to or greater than the profit than selling them, and then I sold the slaves on the black market.

Making my way back to Founders World at the moment to pick up my corvette and then go bounty hunting to make the extra money I need and then I am going back to Robigo to pay off the fine.

The money was not the goal for doing this but getting Elite in Trading was since I hate trading I find it really boring.

3. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

i've just picked up this game and i'm overwhelmed on what to do 1st

4. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Learn to dock, otherwise you will be fined, then blown up if you take too long lol

5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Go through the training missions a few times so you can try and get docking, landing and combat down abit before you try it for real.

Have a look on Youtube as there are some decent videos from the likes of Obsidian Ant, Chaos Wolf and a few others to help get started.

6. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

Yeah i've done them about 10 times each its just where to start 1st lol, i did the welcome mission that gets you 10k but then i looked at some of the guides by obsidian ant but where he suggest to start isnt where i spawn so looking to try and do what he suggests in the section i've been landed in lol

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Buy a fuel scoop.

For the love of all that is holy buy a fuel scoop!

After that do some courier missions until you can afford some upgraded shields and a cargo slot, then look at doing a rare goods run to quickly get enough money to move past the Sidewinder.

8. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Rare goods are not what they use to be for starting out, best bet is to hit the mission boards and do missions to help with rank with a faction as that will also bring higher paying missions.

If I was to start again I could probably be in a anaconda inside of a day knowing what I do about the game now, but back when I first started I made stupid mistakes that cost me in the end.

Some tip's

1: When flying to a station within supercruise let the time get to 7 seconds and then slow down so it stays at 7 seconds to avoid the loop of shame.

2: Download and install ED Market Connector and update each station when you land at it to ensure the market data is correct and accurate on sites such as Thrudds.

3: Use Thrudds to find the best trade materials between two stations.

4: Fit a Kill Warrant Scanner if you are going bounty hunting to get more credits per kill.

5: Target the power plant to kill a ship faster.

6: Avoid taking on wings unless you are in a wing yourself or are capable of defending yourself.

7: If trading whilst others are on try and wing up for extra credit payouts.

8: Fit a fuel scoop, and then when fueling from a star fly towards it slowly until you get the hang of it and when it starts to collect fuel you can stop dead and it will slowly fill your tank, then as you get more confident you can fly around the star whilst scooping.

9: Remember the saying "Oh Be A Fine Girl/Guy Kiss Me" as the starting letter of each word is the star class you can scoop fuel from "O B A F G K M" and you can set your Galaxy map to only plot routes via those star types.

10: Create your own private group this can be done via the Friends & Private Group option on the main menu, so that you can play with friends without having to go in to the ganking place known as Open play or in solo play.

11: Join someone in multi crew ideally a friend in a private group whilst they are trading or doing combat as that will earn you money quite quickly.

12: Avoid landing on a planet with higher than 1G until you are really use to planetary landings as above 1G they can be tricky without a decent set of thrusters.

13: When fitting weapons to start with try and use Gimballed weapons and fit at least 1 multi cannon if possible in order to take down the hull faster than a pulse laser.

14: Boomark the Fuel Rats website incase you run out of fuel and don't have a friend that can help you.

ED Market Connector when you download and install it will ask for your Elite Dangerous login details and you will get a email from Elite Dangerous with a Auth code, to enter in order to be able to update market info, I have used it since it was released and have never had a issue with it.

It will also if you want send information to EDSM (Elite Dangerous Star Map) so you if you go exploring you can see which systems you have been to and you can share it with people.

This is what mine looks like currently.

https://www.edsm.net/en/user/travel-map/id/7376/cmdr/DAMIENC

Anything else just ask there are plenty of us who can help.

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well, I'm about 2k5 LY out from Colonia, so hopefully I'll get there soon. Then it's about another ~8K LY out to my actual destination. I'll get there within the timescale for this passenger mission (a week and a few days left), but there's no way I'll get back within that time. Ah well, this passenger is gonna be seriously miffed by the time I get back to the bubble :D.

10. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

So do you guys have a flight stick if so which one ? considering to get one as the one i've got is cramped to hold with two hands, so thinking of upgrading i've got a cyborg x controller and getting to all the buttons easily isnt fun.

11. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I use a hotas, currently using a Saitek X55 Rhino however due to some issues with it I have managed to scrape enough to get a X56 should be spending the money on other stuff but I need a Hotas otherwise I cannot play Elite.

If you want to get a Hotas try the Thrustmaster one to start with as it's quite cheap and whilst not having a lot of buttons you can get the main essential buttons mapped on to it, and then if you like it you can move to something better and if you don't like a Hotas then it's not expensive.

You might be able to find it cheaper if you look around.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

+1 for the T.Flight HOTAS X.

13. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Another vote for T Flight X, it splits in the middle so you can have stick/throttle each side of the keyboard.

Or go nuts and get a CH Fighter Stick/Throttle or a Thrustmaster Warthog. There'll be no lack of control options then.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Some over on the Star Citizen side are swearing by a pair of T16000M sticks instead of a HOTAS.

15. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

To be honest I started with the Tflight and eventually moved on to the X55 Rhino, because of the buttons and layout, that is why I have a X56 coming on Thursday.

The buttons have started to fail on the X55 but my dad who is getting the X55 of me is just going to pull it apart, and redo all the wiring in it using Prototyping Wire and Heat Shrink and then some self amalgamating rubber tape over the joints when needed.

I have everything mapped to my Rhino and don't need to touch the keyboard for anything unless I want to use the free cam which I very rarely do, or typing a message or system name, and my mouse get's used in the galaxy map but other than that everything is on the controller.

I will need to look at the bindings as they are abit all over the place but this is them currently.

https://www.mcdee.net/elite/binds/eeqrdt?replay=eeqrdt

16. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

been looking at the X56, kicking my self as we had these in stock at work and we are sold out and i cannot order one.

Might see how i get on with the game further before i spend £150+ for a controller i tried the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Joystick at work and i didnt like it, rather stick with my current set up than that.

Still feel very lost in this game lol

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I know quite a few of you have done this run already, but I finally made it out to Jaques Station... So good to be back civilisation after being "at sea" for nearly 4 weeks! :) Only about 6,000 LY to my destination.

..and then I have to get back! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started bookmarking my journey legs after I'd already gone a good few thousand LY. Definitely have to install ESDM.

[​IMG]

18. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

Not really found a way to make any cash fast, should i be looking to upgrade my current ship or save my cash get a new ship and upgrade that ?

I am loving the game it so different just lack of time to play atm.. and still overwhelmed lol

19. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

It really depends on what you want to do. I'm trying to get back into it, so I've found a modest trade route I'm running, nets me $2m an hour or so, and I'm going to get enough cash together to buy and outfit an AspX and then go and try some of the engineer stuff.

Are you coming into it completely fresh (are you in a sidewinder?).

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well... I made it. This is what I travelled over 32,000LY to see. Pretty uninspiring.

[​IMG]

Now for the 26,000LY trip home... and I have 2 days left to do it to meet my passenger's timescales. Yeah, that ain't happening.

[​IMG]