1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It was worth the wait :D man, what a way to go....

Great movie. Loved the scene in the toilet.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Rendel - 5/10

I guess, really, it's the subtitles and translation from Finnish that make every spoken word seem corny as, but even the English bits don't quite work..

Eh, for the budget it was more convincing than I expected.

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Triple Frontier - 7/10
    Maybe it's because I watched with no expectations. Maybe it's because I watched it without the wife (who CANNOT watch a film like that without running commentary), but i actually enjoyed this.
    Yes, it's predictable and full of cliches, but it's better than a load of films in the genre that have come out recently.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Hellboy - 6/10

It's not the Hellboy we wanted, but it's the one we got.

5. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Upgrade 8/10 brilliant sci-fi the end was nice touch but sussed what was going on.

The Boy Who Would Be King 7/10 yet another film based on arthurain legend, but with a fresh take on it with 1st year high school geeks. not the greatest film but an enjoyable one.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Acts of Vengeance - 6/10
    Not really new, not a great story, but well played by Antonio Banderas.

MEG - 7/10
    A good Ol' fashioned Monster movie.
    What's there not to like?

Arès - 6/10
    French Cyberpunk Beat-Em-Up. Not really bad, but not that great either.

7. liratheal

Avengers - Endgame - 7/10

WARNING: I will not hold back with this. If you are even tempted to see it and care about spoilers, don't click the spoiler tab.

So, first of all I have no real attachment to any of the characters in the MCU. Hemsworth as Thor is pretty funny, but that's about it for my liking of MCU characters. So I didn't feel any of the depressing overtones that are played like they're strings on a thrash metal bands guitar.

The Tony/Pepper kid thing was perplexing, but not entirely unsurprising. I found it somewhat comical that Tony obsesses over Parker's death but doesn't seem that affected by anyone elses. Although, the superduper happy life with a kid and whatnot basically telegraphs his death harder than Strange mouthing "one" and holding up one finger.

It was entirely unsurprising that Danvers appeared only to piss off and only come back to be of use in the last few minutes. I honestly think that was the right choice. Although her superduper buildup to be the bestest thing evar!!!11!1oneeleven was kind of funny when Thanos eventually tosses her aside like a used sock.

As an aside, for what it's worth, this isn't a man whining about a female super character, it's a man moaning about the persistent problem in comics and their films. Every time the existing super heroes beat a super villain the next ones, or return of the beaten villain, is billed as the strongest thing since ever and ohno how will they win?! Which means the heroes have to either get stronger, or a new stronger hero is introduced.

For me, Captain Marvel, Superman, Supergirl, etcetera all have 'all' the powers and are used as a crutch to get through something that the others wouldn't alone. It completely shags any threat because you know the good guys are going to stumble into the ultra-mega-superpower and save the day. It diminishes the threat for me, and as a viewer, it makes me give less of a ****. Which, IMO, is what the MCU has perpetually done. Iron Man's nano suit or whatever from Infinity War is another example.

In 40k at least it's called "plot armour" and I cannot stand it. I'd say the same for the DCEU if they ever made anything that wasn't a hashjob in so many other ways that Superman is somehow not the worst thing about the film.

I'm not sure why Thanos is always painted as this dangerous big bad when it seems basically anyone (Including Potts in a suit) can go toe to toe and not be immediately killed. It seems a little incongruous. Sure, he needs the stones to be super dangerous, but it's not like (apparently) a rando in one of iron mans suits can't go against him.

The time travelling Tony/Howard bit was weird. Kind of pointless IMO. Except to further telegraph his incoming death.

Captain Assmerica getting a "happy" ending wasn't telegraphed too hard, but his scene looking at Atwell's character was pretty telling. So was the scene where he fights himself and the picture is what gives him the win.

I'd have liked a little more Professor Hulk than we got. I'm not sure what was going on with Hawkeye being a murderer all of a sudden. The only thing I can come up with is wicked flimsy for a supposed superhero who has risked his life countless times thus far. Could have opted for less that and more of Banners transition to P.Hulk.

Overall, was it a bad film? Not exactly. It was just a three hour MCU film. It felt like a lot of those three hours were purely fan service. I don't feel like it pushed any boundaries, or did anything particularly interesting or new. Not that anyone should expect that from MCU films I guess.

I probably wouldn't watch it again.

8. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

^ im still hoping to see it, unfortunatly i flashed up youtube this morning and

X persons Death scene, Infinity war leaked footage Spoiler
    thanks asshole, you are supposed to put the spoilers at the START of your sentence

im going to see it next week when the thetres are a little quieter, for a movie this large im not going to wait for AS friendly screenings in a month or two as the movie will be ruined by then

9. liratheal

I may not be a fan of the MCU, but it seems a wicked dick move to put that kind of thing on Youtube..

I honestly don't think knowing the event I suspect it is will change the film for you, though, they lay it on thick quite early and it doesn't take a genius to work it out maybe 30 minutes in. Which still leaves you two and a half hours of MCU-grade surprises.

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It's a tricky one - I don't want to go see it now when the cinemas are so horrendously busy, but the longer I leave it, the more likely I'll encounter one of the many "dick move" spoilers that are popping up on t'internet daily. I'm planning to go see it at IMAX maybe next week, and would be more than happy to go by myself. Most of my colleagues are going to a 10pm showing tonight, which is all they could book in advance yesterday.

It's gonna smash box office records fo sho.

11. liratheal

How many MCU films haven't got a box office record for one thing or another though?

I mean that as a genuine question. I don't think there are many that don't have either a billion dollar box office or a record for being the first film to star X that made a brazillion dollars on a Tuesday.

12. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I couldnt believe Dumbledore dies either...

I know a few people that have seen it an they are all keeping quiet on it which is good. Like you ill probably go see it next week when its less manic.

13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Reminds me how far behind I am, think I still need to watch:
    Dr.Strange
    Infinity War
    Ragnarok
    Ant Man & The Wasp (although heard it's not great)
    Captain Marvel.

Think I've seen all the others, most recent being GotG2 which I thought was meh, and Civil War which I felt the same way about hah, not mega fussed but hopefully I'll avoid spoilers until I get around to catching up.

14. liratheal

Ragnarok is the only one I that list I could actually suggest watching.

The rest on that list have left me with a bland taste in my mouth.

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Still not seen the previous avengers film - I got a bit bored of the MCU movie making sausage machine and lost interest.

The original Avengers film was great. Iron Man should have stopped at two, as should Thor. GotG should have stopped at one. All the rest? Meh.

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Avengers Endgame: 9/10

Solid action flick, great FX, good pacing (for the most part). There are many opportunities to pick holes and critique various plot devices/misgivings, but it's easily one of the best MCU films. Luckily for me, I didn't encounter any spoilers so I went in with no expectations, and I was very pleased with how they resolved the Thanos problem (or did they...?!). Go out with a bang!

goldstar0011 likes this.
  17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I think I just found the only person in the world that shares my opinion on these films

18. liratheal

Haha, perhaps! IMO, MCU films have rarely been great. Iron Man was good, but pretty much only by virtue of not being one of 20-something of the exact same thing.

19. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I have to agree with you, most seen to be rather meh, Ragnarok was good because it didn't take itself seriously.

20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Also: Iron Man was one of the earlier ones, which made it still somewhat novel.
    I genuinely dislike that these days "a new MCU Film" or rather "a new superhero film" seems to be the cinema event of the year.
    That and "another season of inappropriate relations with your cousin - i mean - GoT" being the TV event bugs me.