Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Don't worry about piping up mate, we can all be way off the mark from time to time (speaking from my own experience).

Edit: is this about your thread? Never apologise for starting a thread, anyone of us can start one and it can have a mind of its own and wander off on its own just after a few posts :happy:

2. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

It was one of the seeds of what became a 'snowball'...

3. adidan

Threads do that, don't worry about it mate.

I have conversations like that sometimes. I ask what I think is a simple question or make what I think is a harmless comment and two minutes later find myself in a completely different conversation, not knowing how I got there and yet somehow, something is my fault :lol:

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

So...

Yesterday I set off for my daily commute drive across the Peak District. I set off just after 5AM so it's dark (and will be for another hour) and it's been raining heavily all night. Just before leaving civilisation and getting into the 'meat' of the drive, I drive through a puddle that turns out to be a lake; fortunately, I stay straight but it's like hitting the brakes hard. warning pops up about the 'parking sensor needs servicing' and I think to myself 'great, water's got in somewhere it shouldn't have'. Nothing seems to be misbehaving thought and I can't hear any funny noises or see anything out of place in the mirrors, so I carry on with my drive.

I pop out the other side of the Peaks and go round a roundabout, at which a van gives me right of way. The van catches me up and starts flashing me. I pull over and get out to look around the car. It turns out the rear bumper had detached and was hanging off - not just a little, as in hanging off by the left side and extending its full length behind me. There was also the cable dragging behind. I gave a thumbs up to the van driver (who had pulled over behind me), who carried on. Luckily my car's a Volvo estate, so I put the rear seats down, pulled the bumper off and put it in the back and tied up the wire.

I'm guessing I didn't notice as the bumper was still quite strongly attached and so was probably just lightly 'skipping' along the road surface, aided by the wet surface and pushed up by air going under the car (there was no obvious wear signs). There's no way I could've spotted it without getting out of the car as it was right in my blind spot.

Ah well, will have a look at getting it back on at the weekend.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The launch event for the modding competition has been cancelled because of the plague. Really disappointing that I won't get to meet everyone, but was also going to be a cool trip with my brother and we could geek out in hardware hq so disappointed that's been culled. I do understand though, invite a load of people into a small space to handle a load of stuff, not a good scenario currently.

IanW and adidan like this.
  6. adidan

That sucks especially as it's not the sort of thing that happens everyday.

But yeah, confined spaces with others at the moment probably isn't the best place to be even if those other people may generally self isolate in their day to day lives already :happy:

The_Crapman likes this.
  7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Confirmed plague case in the office, company have told some people to work from home or other sites, not a peep for what they expect us to do an our manager has gone silent on us as the remote access system has gone down (he was working from home)

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Don't be daft dude.

Look, just read everything ten times like I do and try and understand before you post. Then read what you typed five times. Mostly to make sure it's not inappropriate. Gawd if I posted everything I typed I'd be burned at the stake lol.

Don't let it get you down dude.

Keep contributing and remember, if someone has a problem with you it's theirs. Not your burden to carry.

kim, GeorgeK, adidan and 1 other person like this.
  9. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

DPD 'loosing' my CD player, the light fingered SoB's

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Broke my "don't **** with it Friday" rule to install CU15 and it almost went all wrong.

Question is, do I now risk snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and do the other exchange servers?

11. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Work is having staff work from home, IT is stretched so I'm single handedly trying to figure out things I have no real reason to know about and make sure everyone is ready, all whilst keeping on top of my work, finishing at 3pm (not been asked to stay late) and being classed as a vulnerable person but needed in work to keep things going.

My own mental state is not good right now, everyone asking me why I'm not being allowed to work at home and isolate.

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

An event I was planning to attend in May just postponed. I think I'm on the hook for a £200 hotel room I now can't use. :sigh:

13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

You may be able to argue a case to get the money back. You could also contact the hotel and ask for a coupon for another date.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I've done the first thing via booking.com. Asking for the event's new dates in October/November will be round 2.

(The event in question is "Fully Charged Live" - an EV transport expo)

EDIT: Hotel has declined option 1, but offered option 2 before I could mention it. Waiting to hear if they'll do the dates I want.
    EDIT #2: Change approved. Life no longer ruined! :D

Last edited: 13 Mar 2020
  15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

insomnia 66 just got cancelled due to this stupid virus scare. there goes my easter holiday plans :(

The_Crapman likes this.
  16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

My favourite forum is closing.:jawdrop::sigh::wallbash::waah:

17. adidan

Bit-tech? :sigh:

If it's not then is this how you break it to us you two timing brute?!?!

IanW, Vault-Tec, Gunsmith and 3 others like this.
  18. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not sure if I'd be sadder it was bit closing or that we're not the favourite

Vault-Tec and adidan like this.
  19. adidan

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Erm, yeah, about that guys :idea: