1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current US riot situation

Discussion in 'Serious' started by KayinBlack, 31 May 2020.

1. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

As usual, Britain's got form in something of questionable standards..

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

My quest to assemble a superhero team of enlightened centrists and wage war on social media stupidity begins now.

What colour should our capes be?

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Purple with red spots.

6. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

[​IMG]

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Everyone knows capes are a bad idea...

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Anyone remember the TV series Dark Angel?...

9. Risky

Risky Modder

There may be a problem that enlightened centrists don't tend to fancy spending a lot of time on social media.......

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Best possible outcome:
    They'll give up one by one as they run out of food and money (and get arrested as they leave the area with their lives being destroyed by criminal records while having achieved nothing).

The other option doesn't even bear thinking about...

11. walle

walle Minimodder

Her husbands fault for not having established boundaries early on in the relationship letting her walk all over him instead, and she doesn't respect him for that very reason. He may love her, I'm sure that he does, but he doesn't like her.

12. walle

walle Minimodder

The purpose of that post was to demonstrate racism when applied incorrectly.

Ninja
    English objection to natives of a neighboring country wanting to preserve their language and culture wouldn't fall under English ethnocentrism. I'll put it that way for now.
    More a case of ethnocentrism, group preference and tribalism at play in the moment. I didn't hear Karen express any belief of racial superiority though so the speculation here is if she's a racist or not. She could be, maybe even likely. But we don't know.

If it's a last in first out policy they both lose.
    Your assumption of a false premise is you applying equilibrium in the wrong context to male and female innate nature.
    I have demonstrated the differences between male and female thinking and problem solving. Men prioritize reason. Women prioritize emotion.

I used defunding the police as an example.
    Whether the female approach of defunding police is rational or not is something I leave up to your emotions to decide.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2020
  13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Well that read like a misogynistic horrorscape.

For the record, I don't disagree that men and women differ in their approach to problem solving. But your simplification of it here really reads terribly.

To call defunding police a "female approach" is.. Well. Patently stupid.

Defunding the police is not to get rid of the police, but instead to scale back their spending.

You cannot look at how easily and quickly a large number of police departments armed their officers to the teeth and let them beat wholesale ass in these protests and say it's right, or normal. You cannot tell me that having an APC designed for a warzone is a wise use of money in a police department (Except, perhaps, a police department in a warzone). I refuse to believe that the police are spending their budgets well at all.

With them subsidising courses that are about escalation of conflict, with them buying AR-15's and shotguns, but then picking whatever bargain bin lock is available to keep them safe (Seriously, look into police vehicle firearms security. You can bypass it with a magnet. In some cases, a handcuff key. I'd wager that the two or three lock options are all keyed alike. Hell, it's equally possible to just take the whole goddamn cruiser for about $10. If it's a Ford chances are it's a 1284X key). They're pissing away money on whatever seems "cool" to their officers. There is no situation, to my mind, that a police department should need a goddamn Lenco Bearcat. Especially not when some sheriffs justify it as "People don't take the Crown Vic seriously, they know you're serious when they see one of these." Paraphrased, but that was a sheriff discussing a Bearcat.

Police departments in America need drastic reform.

They need better training in de-escalation.

They need better educated officers.

They need non-police-based oversight so situations, race-based or not, that arise are not so easily swept under the rug by the police union.

They need less war-like equipment, because that only contributes to escalation.

They need to remove the racist cops (If even the FBI have, in the past, recommended against trusting local PD's not to be influenced by racial hatred, then it should be undeniable even without the horrific videos that are floating around of white cops visibly enjoying taking a black persons life).

They need to completely outlaw no-knock warrants. In every state.

They need a shitload more transparency. They're there to protect the people, and when any percentage of those people are taught to run from cops in fear of their life, they're damn well not protecting the people.

The 1033 program needs to end. Right now. Everything obtained under that program needs immediate return or destruction. The police should not have access to military hardware just because. And as far as I can tell, just because is the only justification for that pissing program.

Qualified immunity needs to be revoked. That's some ****in' ******** right there.

They need to stop using fear to get their way, and the only way that happens is with more grounded training (IE: They should probably raise the bar from "Finished highschool" in a lot of PD's to "Finished college", and perhaps the academy shouldn't average out at around 22 weeks of training..), less militarisation, and less ****ing racism.

It shouldn't be possible for so many pieces of entertainment media to take the piss out of police for things that are startlingly accurate. The Simpsons did it (Homer being pulled over and Chief Wiggum breaking his brake lights). 21&22 Jump Street did it (Channing Tatum's character not knowing the recitation of the Miranda Rights). Brooklyn Nine-Nine does it (Hitchcock & Scully. I love the characters, but they are the worst cops. The Vulture. Again, love the character. Worst cop. Captain Stentley. Oof.) Family Guy did it (Joe's speech about how police are meant to be more upstanding, to another cop. The time Cleveland shoots his own kid, admits it, and everyone (Including the police) just leave. Basically any gag involving the police). Basically every piece of played-for-laughs entertainment that involves police in some capacity has poked fun at the failings of the policing system in America for decades, and that shouldn't be a thing that's just accepted.

On paper, police forces are meant to protect the people. Right now, and for decades, the police have protected themselves - And in doing so have protected racism, sexism, incompetence, and god knows what else.

Total aside but America also needs to seriously change its gun ownership requirements. Fix that, fix the need for so many situation-escalating pieces of equipment in the police's arsenal of dumb ideas.

14. Nexxo

Ethnocentrism is the evaluation of other cultures according to preconceptions originating in the standards and customs of one's own culture. English objections to the Welsh wanting to speak their own language and demanding that they speak English are exactly ethnocentric.

Disagree. She claimed entitlements based on her (false) belief of being a 'native' of the US while the other woman is an 'immigrant'. Racial superiority right there.

[​IMG]
    Yeah, that makes no sense whatsoever.

No you have not. Your arguments are simplistic and totally incorrect. Your statements also imply that reason is superior to emotion. Which is also simplistic and totally incorrect.

Defunding the police is not a "female approach". You argue that defunding the police is an emotional reaction rather than a reasoned response, therefore female and dumb. Your argument is severely flawed and based in misogynistic stereotypes and yes, irrational. You are fully illustrating the point I was making.

edzieba, GeorgeStorm and bawjaws like this.
  15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I always thought men think logically and women think emotionally was an old wive's tale.

Also defunding the police in America, where they seemingly have military level budgets whilst schooling, healthcare and other social programs are lacking seems like a very logical and not emotional decision to me.

16. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

17. Nexxo

L.A. school pupils are obviously a pretty hard-core crowd.

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

You'll find that needlessly trying to gender something like "defunding police" is actually sexist.

Also they aren't suggesting to simply get rid of the police, do nothing and expect it to magically work.

Depending on who you listen to defund the police means anything from a slightly scaled back police to shifting some police responsibilities to other agencies to replacing the police with other solutions more fit for purpose.

d_stilgar likes this.
  19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Yeah yeah it ain't from 'Murica...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/13/rise-in-injunctions-against-hs2-protesters

But it does demonstrate just how silly the response of authorities to peaceful protests is at times.

20. Nexxo

Clearly dangerous and depraved criminal activity. :p

d_stilgar, edzieba and liratheal like this.