1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I have a good friend who's a dentist. Trust me, he's not finding it easy either. The NECESSARY anti-Covid measures slow things down hugely.

While I'm sure you don't care about his finances, the lower patient throughput results in lower earnings. He'd love nothing more for things to go back to normal, but has to think about the upcoming patients, many of who tend to be at risk of DYING.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Christ Almighty what?
    We've become a spineless, risk averse jelly of country. No wonder the likes of China & Russia are pissing themselves laughing at what we've become and think they can walk all over us.

What do you think will happen when restrictions are lifted and all the people with wrecked teeth come to see them needing work done? Dentists will be coining it in for years on the back of the damage done to dental hygiene during the lockdown.

The NHS dentistry bill is going skyrocket, along with Dentists incomes.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Christ almighty you think that having a minor tooth problem looked at is more important than, I dunno, making sure you don't turn a dentist into a flamin' superspreader during a still-not-contained pandemic. At a guess.

Here, £8, job done. Or are you too much of a spineless, risk averse jelly of a man to fill the tooth yourself as a temporary stop gap? No wonder the likes of China & Russia are pissing themselves laughing at what you've become.

(I've had a broken tooth in my gob for about 15 years now, but it isn't getting worse and every time my dentist sees it he says "eh, we'll keep an eye on it." To be fair, I think the only fix would be an extraction and it's already about 40% filling - so it'd shatter the instant he puts the pliers on it, and he'd spend the next few hours picking tiny fragments out of my gum...)

Isitari, Bloody_Pete, Byron C and 5 others like this.
  4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I think the problem is one of a self entitled, me first attitude, as is so common these days.

Bloody_Pete, DeadP1xels and Pete J like this.
  5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Look, I understand how horrible it is needing dental treatment and not being able to get it, but this is as big a load of pish as I've read on here for some time.

Dentists aren't being cowards for not wanting to reopen. They are being sensible, as it's impossible to carry out treatment without a risk of virus transmission. And it's not just about being exposed to risk themselves - if your dentist has Covid then there's a good chance any patients they treat will also get it. I'm sure you'd be the first to complain if you caught it from the dentist, or if a friend or relative did.

And as Gareth says, the real risk here is that a virus hotspot develops, at a time when the country is struggling to get on top of it. Is that inconvenient, annoying and frustrating for those who can't do the things that they need or want to do? Absolutely. But it doesn't make dentists cowards. You calling them cowards does make you look pretty bad, though.

6. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

[​IMG]

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Yes. My friend is so very happy that all this has happened and is positively licking his lips at all the evil wealth due to come his way. It helps that he specifically got into the industry, not because he's good with people, but because he just sees all his patients as walking bags of money.

Because this is the internet, just in case anyone is in doubt, the above is sarcasm.

Don't like dentists? Don't go to one. You're not actually obliged to. It's fortunate that we live in times where dental care is actually a thing. If you want, you can go old skool with a pair of pliers. I'm sure Russia and China would give you some respect for that.

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

And anyway, if there's an influx of customers and as such evil money when lockdown ends, surely that means there's been a dearth of them/it it in the meantime.

So it's more of a case of a back-log of income making up for extreme belt-tightening over the last several months. That's the case with the dentists I know anyway.

goldstar0011 and Pete J like this.
  9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Exactly. And if dentists shutting up shop and refusing to offer treatment for four or five months at a time was such an incredible money-making wheeze then I don't understand why they haven't been doing it more often.

Pete J likes this.
  10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Thought we'd switched to talking about lawyers for a minute

Pete J likes this.
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Christ almighty.

Pete J, liratheal and bawjaws like this.
  12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

FMEA documents. Urg. They are the worst, most tedious things ever!

Pete J likes this.
  13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I feel so sorry for you - as you say, the most tedious things ever.

Please tell me you're at least not trying to do it with a group of people? Becomes extraordinarily painful. Best to let the expert do a draft to review - not let the non-techies try to be clever.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeh, its just us two engineers doing it, so its not too bad in that sense, but its just such a mountain to climb! I did my dissertation on failure rate analysis too, so I actually quite enjoy FTA and the like, but this is just dull.

Pete J likes this.
  15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I don't ****ing believe this. Finally finish sleeving the front section cables, go to fit the connectors and the cables won't fit in the ****ing holes. Got to take it all apart. That will take a ****ing age to get all the sleeving back over the pins. I can't take this ****.

16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

****ing humidity. mud valley's got a damn waterfall tonight

17. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

1st world problem. HDPlex 200W psu is out of stock. Also need a GameCube Gameboy player which costs more than gamecube itself to make my mod fit.

18. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

And just like that my day goes to ****...

desk turned up, half of it I should say. The other half is still in transit somewhere.

The half that turned up is also damaged

fairly clear scratches, will be covered in part by my desk mat but shouldn’t really be like that

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Hit the back of my head on the corner of a window. Now I'm dizzy, nauseous and a headache begins to sneak in.

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

This mod is ****ing cursed. Every single ****ing thing turns into a whole big drama. Just now I noticed that one of the ports on the vertical rad still had its temp plastic stopper, I try and swap it just loosening the screws but can't quite get it. Try a couple out and still can't quite get a good purchase on it. "Just take the fans off" I think, "the amount of time you'll waste faffing trying to get at it you could easily just take the fans off and put them back on". AN HOUR later and I still can't get the fans back on for no apparent reason so have had to dismantle that whole section.

I just want this to be over now. It's not fun anymore. I've had 4 hours sleep in the last 3 days and I'm about to smash the ****ing thing to pieces and burns down the house with me in it. I just need it done asap.

Edit: fans are back on at last, but drain valve now doesn't fit. Was on with the fans before they were taken off. :eyebrow: :sigh:

Last edited: 27 Jul 2020
    MLyons likes this.