1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Orange just turned the FTTP live to our area. Come tomorrow we shall be ordering the 2Gbps line, can't wait after being on 3Mbps for the last 30 months!

(I shall probably be posting to the ruining thread about the forthcoming issues with the fibre line installation soon).

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I am, and I'm quite sure I'm also going to lose my rag with it

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Back in "The Before Times", Openreach listed my hometown as to be fully FTTP'd up by Easter this year.
    Before Xmas, there were Openreach roadworks everywhere, fixing broken or blocked ducts etc.
    On Monday, the car park of the exchange was FULL of Openreach engineers & contractors, together with many family sized cable reels. Looks like it's finally beginning.

Arboreal likes this.
  4. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

My senior got a promotion a few weeks back leaving a space open for his previous role with much nicer pay packet. I never even contemplated the job, never even crossed my mind once. Its not I wouldn't want the role but more the role wouldn't want me!

I was told today to keep my eye open for the upcoming vacancy advertisement and asked to put my name forward for it, this came from my boss and her boss!

The vote of confidence has left me absolutely buzzing.... Couldn't quite believe my eyes reading it, will probably apply but keep my feet well and truly on the ground with expectations..

perplekks45, Goatee, David and 4 others like this.
  5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Sometimes it takes others to see things in you before you see them yourself.

Don't 'probably' - do it! :thumb:

David and DeadP1xels like this.
  6. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

This. Always apply!

Even if you don't get the role, it will get you "on the radar". Anecdotally I have recruited people I have interviewed for different roles and I have got roles based on interviewing for other jobs.

Everyone has imposter syndrome.

I had dinner with a member of the C-Suite of my old company (FTSE 250), a person I really respect with 100+ reports.

After a few beers he said "I have no idea how I got this job. I'm making this up as I go along, <snip> wont be long before they find out!".

Once you realize that everyone feels like that sometimes, its liberating....

DeadP1xels and adidan like this.
  7. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Two really good points, I've always felt a bit of a fraud talking of promotions like my management chain would laugh in my face... really been pushing hard to work above and beyond this past year mostly to build my own confidence and it seems to be paying off. They think I'm ready and consequatially now I feel like I'm ready, if this isn't the promotion then it just means someone else was better suited to the role not that I wasn't suitable.

The bump in pay would be much appreciated in fast tracking a mortgage deposit!

To top it off my son spent his second day in nursery and spent the whole day their woohoo!

Last edited: 6 Jan 2021
  8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

But not many know about 'The Peter Principle'
    My boss is retiring in 4 or 5 years and I've been asked if i want his job, hell no, run away, money isn't everything.

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Yeah, I was asked if I wanted to "move up" the ladder.... was laughing at them the right reaction? Hell yeah, it was!

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

If someone doesn't, they're the one to avoid like the plague.
    I could've applied for a section head position at the company I got made redundant from, but seeing the stressed out, poor health mess that my old (extremely nice) section head was, it didn't even cross my mind to even bother.

11. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

[​IMG]

Woop woop! I can say "bye" to my old not-free endo.

liratheal and Byron C like this.
  12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've finally managed to match the multitude of random paint cans in the garage to most of the house now. Which was no easy feat considering a good deal of the house is painted in no fewer than four distinct shades of light grey.

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

New camera arrived and is in mint A1 condition. Looks practically new!
    [​IMG]

Nice clean sensor
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now to learn how to use it properly :hehe:
    [​IMG]

14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Insert 50 Shades of Grey joke here.

perplekks45 and Arboreal like this.
  15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

These Win98-era desktops that @lancer778544 kindly dropped off the other day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't fired up the Packard Bell yet, but the custom machine works perfectly. I've temporarily swapped out the GeForce 2 MX graphics card for a GeForce 3 Ti200 I had spare; the GeForce 2's heatsink had fallen off because the thermal glue has failed, and I don't have any spare to repair it with... The Packard Bell machine likely has a dodgy PSU, but that's an easy solve.

Had a real nostalgia trip setting up Windows 98!

[​IMG]

Now I just need to finish installing the few games of mine from that era that managed to survive... I had a lot more than this, but most have been lost to time :sigh:.

[​IMG]

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Oni was released on PC?!

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Sure was!

[​IMG]

TBH I had no idea it was also released on PS2! :grin:

Pete J likes this.
  18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If you're looking for that kind of era software, I'm currently imaging a whole *tonne* of CDs I'll then be looking to get out of the house. I'm doing cover discs and random software at the moment - if you're after the PC Format Gold Collection 3 or Geoff Hamilton's Garden Designer by GSP, I'm your guy. Also, Windows NT Workstation with SP3, Windows 95, Windows 98 Upgrade...

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

@Byron C I may have stumbled across Hitman Codename 47 from 2000 in a box if you fancy it?

20. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator