1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

The stuff of dreams…

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I wish we could look into leaving Virgin. The service is pretty good, averaging 109/10 over 30 days, very stable, even on evenings and weekends, great for streaming stuff, and so on. The problem is that they are expensive as we have been with them for so long and there's no alternative. Anything done over the phone line gives us a maximum expected down speed of around 8Mb/s due to the distance from the exchange. Fibre is slowly being put in, but even that isn't full fibre, just to the local(ish) cabinets and they have not come up this end of the estate/road yet so we are kinda stuck paying far too much for what we get.

I would love to have a viable alternative that I could use to beat a better deal out of them with.

3. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

New customers do get far better deals with Virgin - we used to just swap back and forth between me and SWMBO being the "new" customer to take advantage of any offers once the contract ran out.

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Just lie and say fibre has been installed and you're leaving. Ditch their first offer at a minimum and see what they offer you to stay, it'll cost you 20 minutes of your time.

I was finally offered 500Mbit internet for £19 / month when I was leaving them.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup I am fortunate that I can play back an forth between them all, I can also avoid them entirely and just use 5G so I chop and change for best price.

Gone for the ultimate ompth 360 thing though I was tempted to stick with sky as the whole service was great but out of deal doubled the price and I wasn't keen, they couldn't match Virgin deals for a new subby so off I pop.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I have the opposite issue. Virgin will likely never cable up my town, so Openreach bringing FTTP to the whole place this early is amazeballs.

7. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

i was with plusnet previously, 30 down / 7 up. We got the letter a month or so ago, instantly ordered it and put in my cancelation for plusnet. We went with the 200m package, no phone line, new customer rate for £28 a month, not much more than the £23 plusnet was.

We regularly get 190 down, and about 15up now, which i love so much, downloading and installing my games has never been faster, when the wife and kid are on netflix on 4k and im working nothing slows to a crawl anymore, the double upload speed is a great benefit for myself.

Ill be trying every trick in the book to get a good deal in a few year's time when the contract ends. Happy with the service so far ......except for the hub. It sucks and cant be changed, my mesh system took care of a lot fo the niggles tho :).

8. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I thought this where I live but a couple months after Openreach set up FTTP Virgin followed suit. Their sales people have been walking around our area for weeks now.

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I need to stop checking and doing this to myself every week.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I only look once or twice a year, more often would be depressing.

11. Mister_Tad

I'm a sucker for punishment.

I compound the disappointment by immediately checking if leased lines on a 1Gb carrier have magically come down in price.

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I did this too, I was the first in my area by a number of months, so much so that the door to door sale people were surprised! Has amazing service though, 6 engineers fixing a fault I didn't even know existed at one point!

Keep registering your interest, it may poke them into action!

13. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Yeah, i had the fella come to the door, and i was like i wasn't expecting you till the 27th.... he was super confused, and then the ball dropped and he was like awww you have already signed up, we only had it live int he street a week ago

IanW and Bloody_Pete like this.
  14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I registered interest on Openreach's site ages ago, but haven't heard from them since. So, I fully expect to be having a very similar conversation in the coming weeks.

15. Mister_Tad

Does anyone want to make me a bot that registers mine and my neighbours interest every day? Or every 6 hours? Or every 30 seconds?

Bloody_Pete and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  16. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Fingers crossed

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

*cough * https://sourceforge.net/projects/loic/ *cough *

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

For my third entry on this thread in a week, I just pre-ordered Elegoo's new "Mercury X" wash & cure bundle for resin 3D printers.
    (Don't believe Elegoo's "shipping info" page - I have confirmation via twitter that they do ship to the UK.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Jun 2021
    Bloody_Pete likes this.
  19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

As did mine!

Bit disappointed you can't create new credentials on the device itself, and it seems to be having some trouble importing my current password database... But it seems pretty good so far!

20. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator