1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Progress: did an end-run around the brick wall and managed to get through to someone who can actually Do Something in DHL, and it turns out the thing I've been asking for this whole time is readily available: I just need to provide a disclaimer that says I won't try to claim the VAT as an input on my next return, and that I expect any reclamation to go straight to DHL.

Disclaimer provided, and I'm now just awaiting confirmation in writing that there's no debt for me to pay. Fingers crossed.

jinq-sea, IanW, Arboreal and 5 others like this.
  2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Still this:

I could have just used Word.... But I have nearly 40 years experience of making things harder for myself by trying to be a smartarse, and I'm not about to give all that up.

Hex, Pete J, IanW and 3 others like this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ugh, this is like pulling teeth. I'm now on my fourth attempt at getting an actual written confirmation of satisfied debt from DHL. The closest the rep has come so far is "you will receive a credit note from DHL for the amount that was charged incorrectly" - which doesn't cover the handling charge, if they consider that to have been charged "correctly."

Let's hope the fourth time's the charm, because I'm running out of ways I can rephrase the same question...

IanW likes this.
  4. Gareth Halfacree

There we go:

upload_2022-1-5_14-41-11.png

There's a little handwaving, in that if HMRC for some reason says "nuh-uh, he's got to reclaim it himself" despite having the disclaimer then I'll need to... well, reclaim it myself - but DHL says they'll basically give me exactly what I need and I've just got to send it off.

A win!

EDIT:
    Oh, I forgot: guy I work with had the same $10-value camera sent earlier in the year, and DHL screwed it up then too - except instead of just pulling random value out of their backside and charging £200 import VAT they valued it at $10,000 and charged £1,500 import VAT.

Sheesh.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2022
  5. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Didn't change car battery then it started showing signs of old age last winter, payed almost 10x to fix all the carnage now (it leaked and corroded gear selector cables, clutch pedal also starting to act funny so wonder if it will be a gift that wont stop giving)... excellent start of a year.

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Spent a lot of yesterday giving the lounge a deep clean, as apparently there was a distinct small of cat. My arms hurt so much from all the scrubbing (mostly the floor as who knows the last time it got a proper cleaning rather than a casual wipe down, but also cleaning windows, doors, walls, skirting, furniture) that it has woke me up and now I can't get back to sleep.

7. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Turns out that last night was a lot colder than I had thought it was going to be so I didn't have the heating come on this morning. Sitting here working at home cold af...

Made sure that it'll be on later though, really could do with being able to work from home... in bed...

8. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Got my car bill back from last years MOT, Service, Multiple Tyres, N/S Shock and gubbins... and a range of other bits and bobs

Just over a grand in total :(

It was expected but not quite what I wanted to hear today

9. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

65" OLED on the way out.. More expense.. *cough £2-3k cough*.. See the counterpart to this thread "what makes your life awesome" for the wicked twist of ultimate winning. :naughty:

10. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

More Frozen Shoulder action...
    After a really bad right shoulder from Oct 2020 and an op in April last year, I'm still having occasional physio to help with retaining a full range of movement.
    Since late November, I have been having a familiar pain in my left shoulder which is getting worse, so I can't sleep on my side easily.
    This last week, I have had more pain putting my arm in coats; so have seen the physio again today.
    Hoping to be referred to the consultant again for a cortisone injection that may just sort it and avoid another op.

11. Almightyrastus

It's not really ruining my life per se, just annoying me:

The state of my YouTube subs screen. Everything is either shorts or premiers. It's the Premiers that really annoy me, you see a vid pop up from someone you enjoy watching and think "oo great", click on it and find out that oh, great, it's in 2 days time... Then by the time that rolls around there are a load of others popped up that means you now miss what you were thinking of watching.

Then when and if you do watch it: "let's take some time to thank our sponsors:- [insert piece o' crap sponsor message here]". Cue me hammering the right arrow to skip that crap.

Oh well, at least I never see any ads.

Rant over for now.

mrlongbeard and MLyons like this.
  12. Gareth Halfacree

Thought I was going to have a problem then, when someone from the DHL Post-Clearance department emailed me saying "not actually DHL's fault, your invoice [the sender's invoice, he means] is wrong, you'll need to get a corrected invoice..."

Copied the person I've been speaking to on my reply, and got a pretty swift response: "Please disregard the below, I have contact [Post-Clearance] to ask them not to involve themselves. Apologies for if the below has caused any concern but this matter is in hand and there is nothing we require you to do."

IanW, The_Crapman and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Almightyrastus likes this.
  14. Almightyrastus

15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

How dare you watch something that's not approved by the masses?

Almightyrastus likes this.
  16. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Asher would have been eleven today. Miss you little buddy.

The_Crapman likes this.
  17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Days after receiving shipping confirmation on my Sama IM-01 case from China, I settled in for the long wait until March and it's expected arrival. I did my research - the case is known by a few other names - just to make sure I couldn't get it cheaper and sooner from elsewhere; because that would be frustrating. Incredibly frustrating.

I have just found it under yet another name, significantly cheaper and available for delivery within three weeks.

I'm searching for the right word to describe how I'm feeling right now...

18. Arboreal

Surely continuing shopping after you've hit the go button is asking for heartache.... Spitting feathers??

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I didn't search it out - a review popped up in my Youtube recommendations for the Inter-Tech IM-1 and that led to the Nox Xtreme in the Amazon listing - neither of them were anywhere to be seen when researching the Sama IM01, Tecware Fusion or Cube Gaming Axel - all of which are the same case.

:wallbash:

Arboreal likes this.
  20. Arboreal

:wallbash: Indeed!
    All these factories churning out the same kit with so many different names, it makes your head spin.
    Some of the Chinese brand names on Amazon are truly random.
    Dogfish SSDs are still a fave, especially some of the early listings that mentioned something about hot drinks in the spec list!