1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other DIY thread

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 21 Apr 2021.

1. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

I’d leave it as is. It’s just a spot for dirt to gather and unless you’re taking the rope but out each time, it’ll be a faff to clean. Besides, how much room does it really take up.. I leave mine stood up next to the microwave.

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'd just like to say the rotary hammer is my new best friend. I just wish they made longer chisel bits for it. Some of the posts I dug up were 3 feet in the ground.

3. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

5. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

I’d highly recommend explosives then. Neighbours might complain though.

6. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

If only Micro Blaster were legal for civvy use here, le sigh.

7. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Looks like you're chiselng out a concrete boot

8. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

So that's why he's called mrlongbeard. What a plot twist!

Helped my mate with this today:

[​IMG]

It's a proper bodge, I don't think there's a single 90 degree angle on the whole thing, but it was up in about 2 hrs and decking beams went on it afterwards. Eventually it'll be trellis with wisteria growing over it. Our different styles of DIY are interesting to compare because he got this up in no time, but every screw was rounded off and sticking out and every corner was wonky. While I'd have it all flush, countersunk, neat etc but it'd take me a whole day.

The answer is somewhere in the middle, of course, but having us both there didn't seem to combine our positive qualities so much as it combined our negative ones. I sat around taking ages over little things and he bodged all the big stuff :lol:

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Ninety degree angles are overrated.

Want some nice 87's and 92's.

The_Crapman likes this.
  10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I miss them boots, still got 'em but retired to garage duty and DM don't make 'em any more.
    Still, they lasted longer than that jackhammer which I killed later in the day, which isn't handy when it's borrowed and you've driven 4 hours to help the oldies out.

Who'd have thunk it

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol: I just need the long bit. I'm dancing around 2 electrical mains, 2 gas mains, a water main, telephone, and cable mains... with about 15 trees that have grown roots around the posts. I don't dare get heavy-handed.

Yesterday I thought I'd have it easy since I was just adding a post between two hinged gate sections. The foundation section I broke out was impossible to pry free. It turns out there's a pipe driven into the ground there and it had steel cables threaded through it running through the 'crete.
    ...and there's a tree root as big as my leg right next to it, running under the fence line.

@boiled_elephant - 90 degrees is only a suggestion in building. ;) My entire area was built by illegal aliens. Some of the work I've uncovered would terrify you.

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That face mole needs looking at if you ask me.

I'm no doctor though.

liratheal and The_Crapman like this.
  13. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Finally making headway in the workshop. Had a clear up managed to get a bench I dismantled back up. Namely this one

[​IMG]

Slight tweak as I now have no drawers in it. reason being the middle had no support and began to bow. So I basically made a U shape bracket with screw in feet, problem solved.

Slapped the bench vise an pillar drill right side rest if just open bench for doing things. main long bench now has the bandsaw on the end opens up the rest of the bench and makes life easier.

On the bandsaw. started working on my dust collection systems, because I don't like dust an things especially like the bandsaw and sander produce unholy volumes of super fine dust.

Here in lie the problems, every tool has a different size dust port.
    Main tools I'm worrying over will be Bandsaw, Sander and mitre saw. Mitre an sander are easy both take a 32mm outlet I have adaptors that fit. Bandsaw has two exits one just below the table an the other at the bottom the the lower wheel. So upper is 40mm an lower is a stepped one goes from 48mm all the way up to 100mm. Ideally you want both so I now need to try an wrap my head around a short hose run and Y adaptor with two different fitting diameters just to make everything super confusing.

Also need to sort a new shop vac, current little draper one is not enjoying life I think I left it a little too long between filter cleaning an its a bit down power wise after inhaling a lot of brick dust did abrasive things to the inside, an the filter appears to have gotten damp as the dust has turned rather hard, again wont be helping suction so I'll be looking for something compact maybe quiet, I'm not the kind of idiot to run a mitre saw without ear protection but less noise is never a bad thing. Plus it'll be going on the cyclone separator which will help hugely keeping the filters clean.

14. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Would love a proper workspace and bench :(

15. legoman

legoman breaker of things

When it's somewhat tidy I'll get some photos, currently battling random containers of parts I keep getting gifted like yesterday, a small ice-cream tub of castor wheels. No idea where they are going or how the mother keeps magicing them up but it continues.

16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

ElThomsono likes this.
  17. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Repurpose a room in the house.

Do you really need a kitchen?

18. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

No but I do really need a wife and that's where her coffee machine lives

19. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Did a number of smaller jobs today, fixing leaking shower head, plumbed in new fridge. (Just noticed the reclaimed pantry door needs coat of paint)

[​IMG]

Did about half the sealant on the utility room so its almost getting it there. Sink and splashback all sealed in, then I realised I only had super hold tape and I don't want to damage tape for the walls, so they wait until tomorrow.

[​IMG]

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

In today's episode of DI-Why, I built a DVD shelf. Which, owing to height restrictions, doesn't house all my DVD's. About 40 short. But it does also hold all my BR's, which means I only need to build another one for the other side to have space for any more.

[​IMG]

No, I don't know why I didn't just buy one either.

Mr_Mistoffelees and yuusou like this.