1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other DIY thread

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 21 Apr 2021.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeah the cheap lack and decker mouse sander we've got obviously isn't particularly powerful, but also is probably going to encourage bad habits if I keep trying to use it for everything. ROS definitely seems like the way to go, having done a bit more reading I'm definitely looking towards a corded sander, going to have a dust hose anyway so no real advantage to being cordless and apparently they can lack power and eat batteries for breakfast :D

Couple of ones I've seen recommended:
    On the slightly cheaper side (and smaller)
    Dewalt DWE6423 125mm ~£80

Or jumping up a bit in price/quality(?)/size:
    Metabo SXE450 150mm ~£130
    Makita BO6030 152mm ~£130

Could risk a clone of one of the fancy ones (mirka deros/festool 150/5), bunch of companies seem to be making them, can get theom from aliexpress for even less but if wanting now/in the UK I know Sealey did one but that's gone up in price to over £200, I think there's a PioneerWorks one for £170 available now.

As you can see it's a very slippery slope :D

It'll be used for both trying to neaten up outdoor stuff to avoid splinters etc (have been using some excess fencing material to make a couple of bits for example) as well as hopefully in the future some slightly nicer bits. With my drill/driver I kind of went "buy once cry once" (although I was too impatient to wait for the brushless version to be in stock again and so saved a bit of money for a bit of extra crying), but sander I'm not sure, since I feel some of the mid priced ones are going to already be hitting diminishing returns.
    At the moment leaning towards the dewalt, but not sure on the 125 vs 150 if wanting to use it for rougher stuff as well will it struggle? Also intend on picking up some decent quality sandpaper for it.

Edit:
    Could also just try a cheap orbital, just because our current cheap sander is seemingly terrible doesn't mean a cheap orbital would be I guess.

But whilst looking at tools ended up falling down a bit of a rabbit hole and thought of what other stuff I might want to spend money on as well as/instead of (the money for the monitor for my PC will be taking the hit I think!) and remembered thinking a router could help make projects just a little nicer and had a quick look at the katsu trim router which is often well spoken of and found this site:
    https://www.aimtools.co.uk/collections/routers/products/101748

Also got some other bits like the plunge mount/bit and brushing sets etc so can see myself spending ~£100 to get a router setup, but will have to get it shipped elsewhere as my post code has a cost of £25 vs £4!

Last edited: 5 Apr 2024
  2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Anyone bought any of this foam that you can cut shapes in to tidy up tool storage, it all seems quite pricey but I'd like to do it for one small section of my tool storage cabinet (Ikea MDF filing cabinet bought cheap off of market place)

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Have a look for cosplay supplies - somewhere like Tyges? The thickest they do is 10mm, and a 500x500mm sheet is only a fiver.
    Of course, there'd be nothing to stop you buying a pack of 2mm sheets and gluing them together as another option - as long as you didn't mind a rainbow of colours :lol:

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Yeah I bought some of the Sealey Easy Peel, it worked really well. The stuff is never cheap but Sealey is accessible in the UK, and I had no bother with it.

5. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Have a look at home insulation sheets like Celotex or Kingspan. If you peel off the foil backing, it’s just a closed cell foam type stuff. And I’ve seen it in varying thicknesses up to 150mm

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

7. Ajbod

Ajbod Minimodder

Katsu trimmer/routers are very good. Contrary to what most people think, it is the original, and the Makita is actually the clone. Made and badged for Makita, by Katsu.

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Thanks guys ill look into all of these.

Shadow Foam on you tube is what made me aware of such a thing :)

IanW likes this.
  9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

No. There's a reason I keep all the ethelene foam used in packaging.

[​IMG]
    Holy flaking ship. That was an event. Apparently the original plumber was Godzilla. The little bit was what was left sticking out of the elbow in the wall. It was crushing instead of unscrewing. I had to remove the internal elbow which involved two wrenches with 2' pipes on the handles, and some significant force. The original 70's era threads were pristine, so, yeah, they were sealed pretty danged tight.
    My contractors' comment when he heard what I was up to: "That's gonna be a BOOGER."
    So I hope today will involve bricking the hole up.

Yaka likes this.