1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What Makes Your Life, Meh?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr_Mistoffelees, 10 Aug 2023.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I know it's easier to say than do but try not to get too far ahead of yourself with this stuff - I am not a doctor but I'm sure that there are a hundred different possible explanations for your symptoms. I went through something slightly similar last year where my GP was very concerned about a possible throat tumour and following an emergency referral, a much more benign (and fully manageable) condition was diagnosed instead. Fingers crossed for you.

IanW, Byron C, adidan and 1 other person like this.
  2. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Being trapped in a noisy tube with magnets of death spinning at 1000's of RPM inches from your head?
    I fell asleep and had a nap the only time I had one.

3. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Lacking so much motivation at the moment, feel at times like I’m just going through the motions. Money is coming out as quick as it’s coming in. I’m spending too much time watching other people’s success which is doing my mental health no good.

Trying to do something productive today and fix issues in my eBay store. Problem is there’s so many problems because I’m always putting in such little effort to begin with.

Now I’m delisting 200 items at a time and completely redoing the listings. 75% of the store is listings >5 months or older. All of that is for good reason, crap items, crap price and crap descriptions…

It’s giving me a headache (literally) but hoping a complete rehash might kick me into life a bit and get me remotivated.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

@DeadP1xels My only advice is to not give a shite about other people's 'success'.

Focus on you, your own and your happiness. Other people's 'success'? Damn, it doesn't matter. At all.

DeadP1xels likes this.
  5. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

I felt myself almost nodding off once or twice. Not much else to do in the tube, apart from it being noisy, it was a relatively boring experience.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

YouTube have started crippling playback in Firefox with uBlock Origin enabled.

I'd heard plenty of anecdotes about it happening, but not actually experienced it myself. Couldn't play any videos in anything except 144p. Tried in Edge and instant playback at 4K60. Go back to Firefox... dead again. Disable uBlock Origin, and.... instant 4K60 playback.

The real dickpunch is that not only do I pay for YouTube premium, I pay for the more expensive family tier*.

*Cheapest way to get multiple premium accounts. Premium accounts are £12.99 each or a family account is £19.99.**

**I have literally just learned this - I'm actually paying £26, presumably because I'm using Apple to manage the billing. I'll damn well be changing that at the weekend...

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Make sure that uBlock Origin and associated filter lists are all up to date. They've been fighting running battles with Youtube for a while now. I've experienced some issues over this time but generally Ublock seem to have got on top of it after a little while. At the moment things are working well for me.

IanW and Byron C like this.
  8. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

I use Opera and uBlock no longer works with youtube, I use AdBlock Plus and AdBlock For Youtube and works fine. No ads, you see the ad for a split second, but it skips to the end of the ad and nexts it to the next one, does the same. So you get a 1 maybe 2 second delay before your video starts, but hey, beats being forced to watch adverts.

9. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Anyone aware of how to block the new amazon prime add when viewing via a sky box?

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah I thought it updated itself tbh. I’ll double check when I’m back in front of either machine.

I moved away from ABP a while ago: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amazon-google-microsoft-pay-adblock-plus-bypass-plug/. I know you can disable the whitelist feature, but the very idea of advertising companies being able to pay to bypass an ad-blocking plugin rubs me the wrong way. That’s why I’m on uBlock Origin in the first place.

That’s probably going to be a network-level block. But if the ads are delivered by the same content delivery networks or upstream sources as the content, then network-level blocking won’t work AFAIU.

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Viewing via an app or box is a different kettle of fish to blocking ads in browser. It's at least part of the reason they'd probably rather you used them instead,

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I didn't want to say anything 'til I was sure, but I just showed my eldest a précis of The Mother Of All Demos and... it was fine, 1080p, no problem. That's on Firefox 123, Ubuntu 64-bit, latest uBlock Origin, no manual updates.

Byron C and IanW like this.
  13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Annoyingly, it's fine now. I've changed literally nothing except turning all the blockers back on and now it works perfectly....

IanW and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  14. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

It was playing silly buggers and refusing to play anything for me on FF with UBO, so off I trot back to Chrome which I ditched after it started playing silly buggers with AB, switched AB back on and it was fine.
    See your post pop back over to FF, and it's all fine again.

IanW and Byron C like this.
  15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Perhaps turning your blockers off and back on again simply forced a reload of more recent filters that now work on YT ads?

16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Maybe for AB, but I didn't do anything with UBO, just closed browser and went back to Chrome

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Good luck Dean.

My only complaint with an MRI was the headphones they give you are not loud enough ffs.

I had an open MRI once. More pleasant for sure.

DeanSUNIAIU likes this.
  18. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

This is world ending.... our hot water dispenser is broken and the back up kettles are not working..

It's month end and I need coffee!!!

EDIT: Update, Kettles now working and coffee procured.. :)

Last edited: 28 Feb 2024
    IanW and adidan like this.
  19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

“When car meets fence” - Byron C, 2024. A study in spatial analysis and vehicle manoeuvrability, created with plastics, wood, automotive paint, and Ronseal fence stain.

[​IMG]

Oops :duh:. On the same quick supermarket jaunt I also stalled the car pulling into the supermarket because I’m so used to only needing the slightest amount of throttle to move off.

Stalling, and going out on to a 50mph road at the weekend, has more than vindicated my decision to replace this car (when we’ve paid it off) with something that actually has some balls.

Speed limit goes to 50, I get up a little past 40 in 3rd gear, shift into 4th, and… nothing. Barely a sniff. Even planting the accelerator to the deck barely got us moving any faster. If I was on the bike doing 40-ish in 4th gear and opened the throttle all the way… within seconds I’d be getting close to ‘lose your license if you get clocked going this fast’.

On the way back at the weekend I also made the mistake of not shifting down when I had to slow down a little. Some twonk was about to pull out onto a 50mph dual carriageway without looking while I’m approaching at speed. As a sensible person would do, I backed off and covered the brake just in case this plank in their piss-ugly Nissan Puke does pull out on me. At this point my brain is still in “1300cc motorcycle with torque for days” mode, so my instinct is “I can accelerate in 5th gear even if I’m down in the mid-30s, so I’m fine”. But in reality I’m in a weedy little 63-plate 1.4L Astra going 44-ish-mph while in 5th gear. I have no acceleration to speak of, I have to concentrate to work out where 3rd gear is because I don’t have the muscle memory for these weird-ass gear lever positions yet, the godawful Puke is now overtaking me, and the weapons-grade choad in the battered white van behind me is tailgating so close that he could reach out and hold on to my bumper. I am now a little flustered.

So… yes. We need a car with some balls that’s actually capable of acceleration, and preferably doing so without having the rag the arse out of the engine revs.

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

A reasonably modern Diesel will cover that. Our DS3 is already pulling well at 44mph in top gear, despite it pulling 30mph per 1000rpm.