Other What Makes Your Life, Meh?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr_Mistoffelees, 10 Aug 2023.

1. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Bikes is different for sure - but bike quick cars ain't normally cheap..

It made me chuckle though, you encouraged a fence out the way, stalled at the car park, had the wrong gear ... and it's all because it's too slow.

:)

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Unless I find a decent estate, our next car will almost certainly be electric. We don’t do long distances at all, it’s all city stuff and short hops of no more than 30-40 miles at a time. An estate would be handy for hauling big sh-- around, but it’s not 100% necessary.

Oh the fence was all me, nothing to do with any shortcomings the car might have :grin:. That was purely an “information overload” moment: edging out backwards very gently because I can’t see past the cars parked either side of us, trying not to speed backwards and ram the wall behind me, trying to look over my shoulders in both directions, trying to keep an eye on mirrors… I’m damn well going to start reversing into the drive though, makes life so much easier when your neighbours both have SUVs that are impossible to see past.

Maybe I should just get a Renault Twizy instead, they’re basically just a motorcycle with 4 wheels so it might be easier to get used to :lol:

Arboreal and IanW like this.
  3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Right with you there.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Electric estates are already a thing, if you have coin.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/heres-every-electric-estate-available-now-or-near-future

I know a team of mobile EV service mechanics who use (and swear by) a fleet of MG5s.

Arboreal and Byron C like this.
  5. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Brave browser works great for no ad Youtube I find.

Arboreal and Byron C like this.
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

IanW likes this.
  7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

My problem with Brave is more philosophical/ethical than practical.

This is going to sound pedantic, but in the past I’ve tried to make an effort to cut myself off from Google as much as possible, and Brave is based on Google’s Chromium codebase. As well as pedantic, it’s also probably hypocritical given that I use YouTube frequently and my Gmail account isn’t going anywhere any time soon…

I’ve recently realised that I no longer have the patience I once had for the hard-line privacy battle, but the other problem I’ve got with Brave is the crypto-crap they ship with it. I know I can completely ignore it and not use it, but the fact that it’s there in the first place is an itch I can only scratch by uninstalling it.

8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Vivaldi and it’s own ad blocker, also works well with YouTube.

Arboreal likes this.
  9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Those two, but also the fact it only exists 'cos Eich was donating to encourage the passing of anti-gay-marriage bills and fled Mozilla in disgrace as a result.

Oh, and the fact it used to inject its own affiliate tracking codes into links without the user's knowledge or consent.

Oh, and that it used to not straightforwardly block ads but instead replace 'em with its own and keep the cash.

Oh, and and that it used to (still does?) accept Basic Attention Token (aforementioned crypto-crap) donations for sites which had never signed up. And keep 'em.

Yeah, I wouldn't touch Brave with someone else's bargepole. Firefox may not be perfect, but it's the best out there - unless you fancy going proper old-school and using SeaMonkey, which is literally just Netscape Communicator via the Mozilla Application Suite.

Weekly_Estimate, Arboreal and Byron C like this.
  10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Huh. I was not aware of any of that. The fact that it shipped with crypto nonsense built-in had always made me feel… I don’t know… “icky”… about the true intentions of the developer/publisher. Good to see that my gut instincts were right on this one.

Yeah, when it comes to browsers you basically have only three choices: Firefox, which I still get compatibility issues with on some sites; Safari, which only really shines on a Mac; or Google. Doesn’t matter whether it’s Chrome, Chromium, Edge, Vivaldi, Brave, etc: they all share a common underlying codebase in Chromium. Yes yes, Chromium is “open source”… except it isn’t, not really. It’s a Google project, and Google gets to decide what goes into it (or gets taken out of it). Feedback from maintainers and user communities is not even entertained in many cases; if Google wants it then Google gets it. The more projects that use Chromium, the more Google gets to dictate web standards. Handing that kind of power to the largest advertiser in the world is objectively A Bad Thing™©.

Arboreal likes this.
  11. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I didn't know about all the history to be honest. I use Chrome for everything else.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Well after beating segate's rma portal into submission and making it clear that yes, you did actually make this drive, and yes, it is still under warranty... that's one SSD headed back for RMA

...once i've got some ink for the printer...

Seagate better not **** me about, I'm in no mood for it.

IanW likes this.
  13. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Driving back from taking my partner to work this morning, 60mph hear a noise like something had stuck in the wheel, two seconds later a loud bang and instant tyre pressure warning.

Tyre hit a nail/screw/something and tyre popped. Hobbled off the road and managed to change the wheel. Too close to tyre wall for it to be repaired, so £140 for a new tyre. Joy

14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

@DeanSUNIAIU Damn mate, been a bit of a week or so for you eh?

Glad you hobbled off the road rather than spun frantically of the road.

DeanSUNIAIU likes this.
  15. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

It has indeed, been a shocking couple of weeks. If I didn’t have bad luck, I’d have no luck. :lol:

stephen0205 and adidan like this.
  16. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

mrs has been nagging me to clean up a small room that is filled with random boxes of "things" i may need one day

..... so since yesterday me and the kids have been cleaning up, mrs is still pissed i for some reason , we spent whole Saturday and most of this morning making the room tidy tools etc in the right cases and stacked made a sorta table/work bench where me and the kids could work on a weekend project, peg board to hold rulers, squares measuring equipment, filament spools and clamps. I never had a room so organized you jsut cant win with women some times and it looks like we wont be going to watch dune 2 as a result tonite:(

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Bloody hell what a weekend, feel like I've been going non-stop...

Could've done without the Win11 installer being an ass and refusing to see the ethernet connection, spent hours just trying to get Windows installed never mind drivers, applications, etc... I'm pretty sure I didn't have a problem with this board the last time I installed Win11...

18. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Everyone in the household is down with D&V. I personally just have a stuffy nose which started yesterday.

But cleaning up shitty pants and vomit isn’t my idea of a good Tuesday.

Arm is also a dead weight at the moment and the medication for supposedly pain management, isn’t touching the sides.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Walked to the pharmacy for my next batch of Heart No 'Splode drugs. Turns out "repeat prescription" and "repeat dispensing" are two different things: if you have a repeat prescription like, I dunno, Heart No 'Splode drugs your doctor has told you to take every day for the rest of your life, you can't just rock up and collect 'em on the day of. No, you're supposed to talk to your doctor (good luck!) and get a new order placed... every month.

I'm now on repeat dispensing, which means for the next 12 months I can just ring the pharmacy and arrange to collect 'em once a month without involving the GP. But that does mean my journey was wasted... and now I have to go back tomorrow to pick up this month's Heart No 'Splode drugs.

If I didn't realise the difference between repeat prescription and repeat dispensing, heaven help anyone who's trying to pick up brain drugs...

IanW likes this.
  20. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

We both had the same issue when things were changed that prevented the pharmacy requesting repeats from the doctors on our behalf. I have 7 meds on repeat (standard diabetic fat boy cocktail) but my wife has over 20 due to things like Hashimoto's, diabetes, fibromyalgia, reflex sympathetic dystrophy, and the rest... We have to use a website now called systmonline to request repeats each month from the doctors who then send it to our designated pharmacy. The problem is that this process can sometimes take up to 2 weeks so we have to remember to request a repeat as soon as possible each month in case we run out of essentials like our diabetes or pain meds (withdrawals from those suck if they get missed and as some of those are controlled they have to be requested and issued separately - endless fun).

IanW and Gareth Halfacree like this.