1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster What hardware have you broken?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sc0rian, 23 Apr 2003.

1. Adolftitler

Adolftitler What's a Dremel?

Recently in an hour of experimentation i broke; my old duron, my new barton 2600+ and my new Msi KT6-delta mobo. Returned the mobo to the store claiming it never worked and sold my duron as untested, I've RMA'd my Barton and am waiting to see if I get a refund - not to hopeful of that :nono: I get paid next week so i'll be getting the Barton 3200+ from ocuk, only 150ish this week i think :thumb:

2. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Adolftitler, I hate you!

lol.. kidding.. I can understand your misfortune. But I have never done anything like that before.. The most I had to pay for a mobo replacement was 22.50 in rma labour charges...

What kind of experimentation were you doing???

I think I just borked my tv card remote control.. I had a battery in the wrong way around.. and it just doesn't work.. well, I never tried it before it assumably worked.

3. Malvolio

Malvolio .

:waah: Welp, after a good period of awesome working, the PSU in my main rig (Red Sonja) just gave out. I've never had a problem with it before, it's allways, and I mean allways, been an awesome psu. All's I did was shut it off to do some work on the vid card (replace the thermal compound, as it was overheating), everything went good, no problems, then I reassemble it, hit the power button, see the lights in the case flash, and nothing...... The only thing that stayed on was the "RAM_LED" on the mobo. So I took out the psu, did the green to black trick, and it only did the same thing (slight spike in the power, then it dies). Then I tried it in another computer, same thing. So I ripped apart my land lords computer and tried that psu in Red Sonja, and what do you know, it worked perfectly. So the psu is dead, and the worst part about it all: I don't have a replacement. Sure, the psu in my media center is compatable, so is the one in my server, but the one in my media center doesn't have a fan, and thus gets EXTREMELY warm in an allready warm case (insted of 45-50c temps, I'd be getting 60+ temps), and I can't exactly take my server offline for a few weeks. So here I am, stuck without my main rig for who knows how long..... If your wondering, I wired up my media center in place of Red Sonja, but kept the media center's wireless keyboard and mouse.

Anybody got an elcheapo ATX psu for sale?

4. skyrex

skyrex What's a Dremel?

Ok, for everyone who doesnt know a few post ago (http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=491830&postcount=179) I was going on about the crazy stuff we get upto... the videos are up on our site for you all to download.

The link below will take you to our 'GhettoMark' section of our site to download the videos:
    http://www.meshteam.com/filedb/pafiledb.php?action=category&id=9

So get ready to kick back and laugh your heads off at someone elses expense, I sure as hell do!
    *edit: not all the movies are up, but keep checking back... they eventually will be.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2004
  5. Neuffy

Neuffy What's a Dremel?

heheh....My Thermaltake "PurePower" 360W doesn't pass 12C over ambient....but I did rip out the wimpy 5v (!) fans and replace them with 37CFM fans...I've actually measured the temperature...and when I put my hand on it it's cool...almost like the case.

My friend's (same PSU) sorta fried...the fans in it somehow died. So we ripped them out, put in faster fans, and now it works...

Oddly enough, the heatsinks inside my PSU are electrified....I got zapped just by touching the heatsinks...and my friend's PSU isn't like that...oh well. It works.

6. Fyberwire

Fyberwire What's a Dremel?

I destroyed a Seagate 80GB drive. Powersupply went crazy and overvolted it. Wasn't fun...

7. Adolftitler

Adolftitler What's a Dremel?

I was trying out old bits in new bits if that makes any sense. I think i crushed the bartons core and god knows what went wrong with the duron. The mobos lowest fsb speed was higher than the durons max. But I've been told it just shouldnt run instead of causing any damage to the cpu. But it dint work in either of the boards after that :eyebrow:

8. TMM

TMM Modder

i did that twice when installing a friggin stock AMD HSF :blush: lucky the Asus boards come with thick plastic protection on top of the mobo around the area where the HSF clip usually is :thumb: :thumb:

9. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

Things I've killed to date:

1) Totally burned out a BBC Model B+ microcomputer: got the voltages to the user port wrong and cooked the PSU and Mainboard. :sigh:

2) Killed a 120Mb laptop hard drive <-- not a misprint, it was 1990 - dropped the computer it was in. :sigh:

3) Fried a PC PSU - the switch on the back of it was set to 110V instead of 240V when I bought it and I didn't look before powering it up....:duh:

4) Fried a Duron 1000 processor. The heatsink didn't sit properly on it and it overheated with a luvvly burning smell... Turned out that the heatsink was actualy faulty (bottom surface not flat so it left air gap!) and the shop that sold it to me said it wasn't their fault... :miffed:

5) Gigabyte GA6-VXE slot1 motherboard - connected badly modded mouse to it and killed the PS2 port. :wallbash:

6) Mountain of hard drives floppy drives and upgrade cards. I put up some shelves in my workshop and overloaded them. The top shelf, which had 6 PCs and an oscilloscope gave way, fell onto the one below, broke that too and the whole lot fell on the concrete floor. :eeek: Most of it was wercked. Oscilloscope survived though.

7) Multiple hard drives - intentionally. What are you supposed to do with 200Mb hard drives these days? Drop them off 10 storey buildings, shoot them, drown them, fry them with blowtorches, frazzle them with welding guns, take out and collect the aluminium rings between the platters, etc etc :naughty:

8) Loads more stuff, I cannot keep track of everything....

Message to others: If you want something breaking, let me at it. If you need something mending, ask me whether I have anything to help - there's a lot more stuff that I haven't managed to break yet... (and I do fix more than I break really... honest....)

10. Incorpirate

Incorpirate What's a Dremel?

take it bodger doesnt sujest anything :p

11. TMM

TMM Modder

aight *deep breath*

1) 800mhz Intel P3 and mobo, RAM, and gfx card... fried!

2)ViA KT400 mobo... bios got 0wned! wasn't even socketed, how pov is giga-byte

3) CD drive (just a cheapy :p), screwed up when soldering the insides :p

4) P1 120mhz, mobo, ram, hdd, 8x cd rom, PSU... massive blowout of the PSU

hehe :wallbash: :worried: :clap:

12. lamcdonald

lamcdonald What's a Dremel?

I've only broken a few things so far :blush:

- Jetway TX98B (Socket 7) I had fitted an Athlon HSF and the screwdriver slipped when I was taking it off :waah: Broke 5 or 6 tracks and they lifted completely when I tried to solder them :duh:

- 686-133 CPU lost 2 pins (rusted off :eeek: ) I don't know if it still works

- I painted an old 3.2GB HDD and it doesn't work properly anymore... Still detects in the BIOS, but won't load Windows :(

- ECS K7S5A. Nearly snapped a cap off the top corner when installing the CDROM. :grr: Hasn't worked properly since...

13. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

A friend of mine just added something to the list. He fried his processor. As near as I can tell, the HSF jammed and stopped moving. Toasted the stock thermal pad, melted the thermal grease, and burned/melted about half of the pin holes on the socket.

14. friskies

friskies What's a Dremel?

I can`t compete with you guys... I have only broken a Geforce2 with 32 meg ram. I glued a old CPU hsf on the core, and i was actually able to turn both core & RAM to max :D But then i just had to fiddle about with the voltage, after that i got yellow bars across the screen... Totally *****

Last edited: 2 Mar 2004
  15. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

edit.. the *cough* type *cough* *cough* make it all stars *cough* *cough*

I so far have not destroued anything new yet :clap:, although, I have destroyed some random old keyboards and mice and stuff.

16. friskies

friskies What's a Dremel?

:D A short summary so far:

*Do not use excessive force

*Do not mix hardware that isn`t compatible

*Voltage kills; do not give your hardware ridiculously high voltages

*Do not even touch anything inside your computer while power is on

*Do not plug in a new PSU before you have made sure the voltage selector
    is set at the correct voltage

*Do not use a tiny old PSU on your brand new rig

*Use adequate cooling

*Make sure your HSF & CPU are making good contact

*Then, make sure the fan on the HSF is actually spinning

*Do not put hardware on carpets or anything else which may be static

*Do not put fingers, screwdrivers or hardware into spinning fans

*Do not drop hardware from great heights

*Do not touch the platters inside your harddrive

*Do not store your hardware on a shelf which are likely to fall down on the shelf underneath, especially if the shelf underneath are also full of hardware
    and will fall down on the floor too if the shelf above falls upon it

*Do not slip while using a plasma-cutter(?!?!?!) close to a computer

17. steelydoubt

steelydoubt What's a Dremel?

most fo the stuff ive done is cosmentic damage.

i dropped my computer carrying it from my living room to my bedroom. theres a small crack in the top righthand corner of the front of the case.

i dropped my nz-505 minidisc recorder about 30 or 40 times till it finally broke.

just recently i dropped my dr-7 minidisc recorder and now the front is scratched.

i made smoke come from a floppy drive.

i destroyed an old 486 mobos floppy controller trying to get a 5 1/4 inch drive to work on it (i had about 80 disks that had no use.)

i fried an a7n266-vm mobo trying to unlock it and make it allow fsb overclocking. it just kept beeping! :wallbash:

i made a lite brite explode when i was four. :rock:

18. coorz

coorz Miffed

Lately:
    - Fried my ATI9800SE AIW, heatsink fell off, didn't notice :duh:
    - Probably killed a SMD resistor while trying to jam a HSF onto an Duron CPU with a too big screwdriver. Just closed the case and gave it back.....still works :worried:

Loooong time ago:
    - While working in a PC shop, i was assembling a 486SX25 PC, a screw fell in the case so i held it in the air and shook it, CPU fell out of it's socket on the ground :hehe:. My friends still haunt me with this story.

19. Johnr

Johnr What's a Dremel?

Well I broke some plastic off a few of those old AT RAM slots, because the force you had to put on to get the RAM in was incredible.

Also cracked core on AthlonXP 1800+ :hehe:

20. lamcdonald

lamcdonald What's a Dremel?

Oh I forgot one... this thing didn't survive very long after I put it back together :waah:

Samsung 3.2GB 5400RPM

[​IMG]