1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:PipBoy 8000 PICS FIXED! 56K warn|big (?) update 06/28|*vfd help needed!!!!!*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by EdHunTer, 10 May 2004.

?

What fangrill to use for the front fan?

1. origi fan grill as seen on the first pics

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. a piece of the mesh in front on the vacuum tubes

18 vote(s)
    72.0%
  1. SuperFreak

SuperFreak What's a Dremel?

:blush: Sorry about the car and the HDD... Must be painful... But, dont let that pull you down! keep on modding!

2. EdHunTer

EdHunTer What's a Dremel?

just wanted to let you know the oc just went thru it's first lan (tho it was only a small one here @home with some friends) but not surprisingly the Matrox Millenium g45 didn't preform too well with it's 16 megs of ram :D
    we first wanted to do some NWN but since none of the pcs xcept my rig were up to the task of running it at a normal spped we dropped that and ended upl playing IWD2

was fun the stuff in the case didn't burn up so it was okay for a first run :)

3. EdHunTer

second lan just finished this time the performance was flawless despite the 16 meg vidcard warcraft 3 ran flawlessly in 1024 resolution. Now why is that that w3 runs flawless while nwn staggers even with the 16 meg compatibility texture pack ? Oh yea system temps during the lan didn't exceed 55°c which is good considering the 49-50 °c idle temps so cooling seems adequate. i'm still waiting for the vfd when that arrives both lighting and the vfd will get installed. Painting will be the last thing.

keep on modding :dremel: :hip:

4. EdHunTer

Good news bad news i don't even care anymore

just started making the new front plate from metal (to replace the plexi painted black)
    i cut it down to size okay drilled the holes okay.
    meanwhile i decided to cut a hole under the vent cover in the front.
    Well the flex shaft for my dremel copy had released itself from the tool and so i wanted to put it back with no luck at all. The head that you put the bits into is stuck very hard. It's been sulking in screw loosener for 1 hour now and still no luck with it. so i'm pretty much stuck for today unless some miracle
    happens and i can loosen it.

Eat some pics:
    [​IMG]

here's the dvd-rom that i got as a replacement for the dvd-drive that got busted, and the metal piece that was to make the new front plate

[​IMG]

here i "fine-cut" the plate to fit as nicely as possible (unfortunately none of the corners was exactly 90° but it doesn't look bad)

[​IMG]

Here's the cut i was doing when the dremel said bye bye :waah: :waah:

[​IMG]

front plate in place with holes unfortunately i can't cut any of the other holes till my Ferm Combitool decides it's okay to get loose now :(

5. EdHunTer

mm question i guess you don't really comment cos you don't like the looks so if it had a killer paintjob would i get some more repllies ?

6. EdHunTer

err like the vfd is arriving tomorrow or monday (whenever the post office decides to deliver it) that's it

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Bummer to hear about your car, your HDD and your Dremel, respectively. You're not enjoying a lucky streak at the moment, are you? Best not bet all your life savings on any horses...

Anyway, still looking good. I'll be curious to see what you'll be doing with your VFD!

8. RClivin

RClivin What's a Dremel?

Wow this thing looks great,
    I want to get one of these radio boxes now,
    Sweet Job man! :clap:

9. EdHunTer

yea definitely not a great couple of days

The VFD will be progged to show a pipboy logo on bootup and after that it will cycle between temp&rpm readings, voltage readings and possibly either smart status or cpu&ram usage stats. These will only be shown while there's activity if the pc switches to a screen-saver so will the vfd. Also a green translite will be placed in front of it to give more of a fallout feeling.

The dremel's gonna be back in warranty today if all goes well if they won't accept it i'll try and drill out the head and buy some new accessories for it.

Since i won't be able to continue the works until it is fixed i'll just probably bend the metal mesh i acquired to form and post some pics of the VFD in action.

10. splinter_cell

splinter_cell What's a Dremel?

really nice, i like the whole industrial cold war look to it. gj sofar :rock: :rock:

11. EdHunTer

the VFD didn't arrive today so it'll be here on Monday.

I didn't make it in time to return the dremel in warranty so no moddin this weekend (or so it seems).

and one last thing maybe i should be bitchin more bout the lack of comments to get this log longer eh ? :D

12. splinter_cell

splinter_cell What's a Dremel?

sounds like a plan to me
    :D

13. LucSkyywalker

LucSkyywalker What's a Dremel?

voice from the dead

Patton (spinning in his grave)"where was this one during the big one?" :D

14. meiv_4

meiv_4 What's a Dremel?

fallout was the best rpg ever made. i love that game, looking nice on that case. keep it up.

15. EdHunTer

heh i know i'm a bit sluggish here but you know how modding goes...
    ...eat pizza, drink beer, mod, drink more beer, mod, eta a slice of pizza, drink more beer mod and it goes on and on :D
    an i have no drinkin buddy to have a few bottles with tonite so i'm kinda bored...

16. EdHunTer

yeeeay finally the vfd just arrived!

i'll get some pics try to hook it up and post some pics and details @ night

and you know what? the friggin thing cost me bout 140 eur worth of HUF ...

i'm kinda pissed off by that

17. EdHunTer

Oh yea baby...

my being pissed off went away as soon as i hooked up the vfd and it worked flawlessly :)
    so here's the pics:
    [​IMG]

this was the package it came in (sorry but i blurred out my adress :) personal reasons...)

[​IMG]

talk about bubble-wrapping something. BIG freakin bubbles and a really small device :)

[​IMG]

finally the module reveals itself in it's shining glory (oooo flashy :D )

[​IMG]

just another pic of it without the glare

[​IMG]

the rs232 connector i made... i had to buy one cos i didn't have any serial cables that i could strip apart (the only one i had didn't have all the pins installed and one of'em was which i needed :( ) but it was cheap as dirt (70HUF basically one third of a dollar) and i got the 4 line wire 4 free since only this little bit was left :D

[​IMG]

here's the wiring in the vfd as you can see i shrinktubed it even just 4 the looks :D

[​IMG]

the wiring with the vfd ready to plug & have fun :D

[​IMG]

my first version of the pip-boy sign (it still sucks pretty much :)

[​IMG]

the first test text i wrote out on it :D

[​IMG]

same text with flash :D

sorry bout the blurry dark pics but the vfd IS very bright (yea i know i can control the brightness but i'm still just testing it :) ) and i again was lazy to get out the camera stand :)

nyway someone HELP me make a plugin to work it with motherboard monitor or something... please ?!? :D

i'm starting to get in the modding mood again :hip: :dremel: ... if only my dremel was workin

18. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

Lemme guess....You dont want anyone coming over and nicking your Pip Boy once its finished right ? :D

Sweet mod dude. Fallout rocks. Keep it up.

19. EdHunTer

X(BIG X)actly :D

i've been toying around with it's own software and i've partially managed to decypher how LCDC definitions work but it's still very complcated... and it tells me it cannot proceed cos the definition has been tampered with ... :waah:

20. SuperFreak

SuperFreak What's a Dremel?

I want one of those! If you don't want it, you can always give it to me;)