1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is adding a cathode a mod or a premod?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Whisp[TR], 26 Aug 2004.

?

Is adding a cathode a premod or a mod?

1. premod

121 vote(s)
    49.6%
  2. mod

123 vote(s)
    50.4%
  1. Whisp[TR]

Whisp[TR] What's a Dremel?

yeah i was thinking that too.

there was a point when adding a cathode was a huge thing and the greatest mod in the worls

but now its common place to see a cathode and everyone does it.

it really isnt unique anymore although it is still nice to have cathodes in your case and nothing wrong with it.

2. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

I don't think people would have such a dim view of premods if it wasn't for their name. Premod is an oxymoron; if they were called, "shiney windowed cases" (bad example, I know) then people would have no problem with them because there is no mention of it being a "mod"

my 2p

3. ellism

ellism What's a Dremel?

I say a mod but it depends what you do with it, just puting it in your case, now that don't count. But if you do somthing intressting with it... now thats a difrent story.

4. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

definately a premod because anyone can do it and it requires no work at all.

5. ellism

ellism What's a Dremel?

i did it, it must not count.

6. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

Sigh.....

Main Entry: mod·i·fi·ca·tion
    Pronunciation: "mä-d&-f&-'kA-sh&n

1 : the limiting of a statement
    2 : 1MODE 6a
    3 : the making of a limited change in something; also : the result of such a change
    4 : a limitation or qualification of the meaning of a word by another word, by an affix, or by internal change

Modification literally means to change something.

Pre-modification is something that has been changed beforehand.

Keeping to the literal: Pre-modification example would be the memory that comes with the LEDs built-in. Or a case that comes with a window already designed into it.

If you buy say a Lian Li without a window, then buy the side with a window in it, that qualifies as a MOD (not pre-mod). The case did not originally have a window. Although you didnt cut the window into it yourself, you bought an aftermarket item to place the effect AFTER purchasing the standard case.

My opinion: If you put in the effort to change your case for something you WANTED its a MOD!!! I dont care if its a Vantec baybus, a CCFL, UV fan, or a rainbow sticker. You changed the case to fit your style, and didnt pay someone else to do it. The rainbow sticker may be hideous, but thats a matter of taste, not what is percieved as 'modification'. If you buy one of Zaps cases, can you say its a modification? If so, any case would be considered as such.

Why is my opinion so strong about this? Its because I firmly believe that modification is the act of personal expression. No matter how little the alteration, the effects are strongest to the individual who made the change. They are the ones who did it for self-satisfaction. I see way too many comments like "blue is so old, its unoriginal". Piss on ya. I like blue. I dont care what others say, its my damn case and IM the one I have to impress.

Are we now gonna say that mods dont qualify just because others have done it first? Is this the community that bit-tech will become? Crap, I havent had the time to do a dozen of my own ideas because I spend more time in here trying to help others with thier challenges and updating a website that is dedicated for people who want to try to do more. Which, I might add, I recieve nothing for other than gratitude on occasion (which is all the payment I want or need).

If you put in a CCFL (something you really could not build on your own I might add) for the simple reason that you personally think it would look cool, then its a modification. To think otherwise is elitest.

7. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

You have a good point, but in essence, what modder doesn't start out using SOMETHING premod. I mean, LED fans are essentially pre-modified fans. Sure you could make your own, but after making one, i'd like to see you get up the gusto to make four more. Essentially pre-mods exist because we're lazy, or we're looking for a good product with a warantee. I mean props to the guys who make their own rheobus to control all of their own LED fans, in a nice little case that used to be beige, with custom windows in it, but not all of us have that skill. And for that matter, let's look at a case i did for my friend. I used the Icute 0408. I bought him a nice little PSU, sleeved it all up, and changed the fan (and zapped myself three times) plus sleeved everything else. That's a mod to me, but once he uses the case, it looks like a mod but it was pre-modified for him. And yes i know this is an echo of the aformentioned argument.

8. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

It matters not who made the item put in the case. Its the act of putting something into the case that was not there but was wanted by the case owner. If a buddy handles the 'work', its still a mod. If you buy a case online with all modifications already done, its pre-modded. No effort means no mod.

9. oshta

oshta Guest

I've been thinking, maybe, its not a mod OR a premod, maybe its just nether:idea:

- I mean, is a HDD or a new CPU a mod?

10. TMM

TMM Modder

if you cannot RMA it afterwards, its a mod :D

11. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

In my opinion it is a premod... here is why...

There are easy and hard ways to mod a case. If you take something off the shelf and add it to your case without any modding it is a premod. If you take it and paint the inverter or sleeve the wiring or otherwise then it should be considered a mod. It is just like a case with a window compared to a case without a window. Same idea... :D

12. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

when i put cold cathods in i usually cut the molex of and solder it to my light switch..which has grown in the number of wires coming off of it :hehe:

13. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

i feel that if you buy a case with a window and a light already in it, thats pre-mod.

if you pay someone else to put that stuff in a plain case, thats a pre-mod.

actually cutting up your own knuckles, doing it yourself, even if it is only a simple square window and a ccfl kit ... thats modding. i dont think it really matters how involved the mods are, its the fact that you get up off yer ass and do it yourself.

14. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

IMO, what I think all you guys are forgetting is that is a 'standard' or 'base line' that 'mods' or 'pre-mods' are defined by.

i.e. if we take a coloured LED fan as the standard or base fan, then an LED fan is NOT a pre-mod, but.. if we take a normal black fan (i.e. normal panaflos) and then colour it (paint) and add LEDs to it... then that is considered a mod and coloured LED fans are considered pre-mods.

Similarly, the 'base case' or 'standard' case, is a beige box... but subsequently paint it and add a window and that is considered a mod... buy a case with a window and already coloured and it's considered a pre-mod.

In the good ol' days where modding was still 'underground' (i.e. not as mainstream as it is today), then the base line or standard would ofcourse be a beige box and black fans. But since 'modding' has become mainstream, the base line has been blurred, because now there is a profileration of coloured cases with windows and LED fans... everybody in the strictess sense of the wording 'pre-mod' uses pre-mods... who seriously buys a black fan and adds their own LEDs to them anymore?

Basically, what I am getting at is that the base line for the defination of what is, or is not a mod/pre-mod has been blurred to such an extent that these phrases are just meaningless today.

In the strictest of senses (dating back to when 'modding' was all about dremelling, soldering and spraying) everything available today is a 'pre-mod'.

It all falls now to how each individual places their own 'base line'. I have found that long time modders (before the mainstreaming) have their base line as a beige case, no window everything generic and boring (i.e. a blank canvas) and newer people into modding have their own 'base line' as higher such as LED fans and coloured cases with windows.

I personally think that the 'old-skool' modders are threatened by the 'nu-skool', where the old skool hand made windows and modified ane personalised their cases using dremels, fillers, spray paint, and sheets of ally & plastic feel that these nu skoolers are 'cheating' using pre-made windows in cases and calling themselves modders.

You can sense the bias in that last sentence :p as i'm an old-skooler. But mainstreaming is enevitable and pre-mods are here to stay... although I will add that just adding a CC is not a mod imo, because you are not actually modifying anything.. you are merely adding an extra component into the case however aesthetically pleasing it may be, although, to be fair... if there was an existing CC in the case and you took it out and replaced it with another colour or something else... then that strictly speaking is a mod as you are changing something!! But would be a pre-mod in the first instance!?!?! :wallbash: This is hurting my head!!! :wallbash:

Basically imo, just adding a cc is not considered a mod as all, not even a pre-mod.. it's a tool for lighting withIn the greater scheme of things. Cut a window, panel it and add the cc, then that's a mod. Add a cc to a precut windowed case and that's a pre-mod. Just adding a cc.. that's just adding a cc, neither a mod nor a pre-mod.

I could go on forever, anyway forgive my ranting/essay but this is my 2 pennies (or a fivers worth) added!

P.S. forgive any spelling or grammatical errors as it's 4:30 AM! and I should really get some sleep!

Last edited: 29 Aug 2004
  15. TITAN

TITAN What's a Dremel?

Exactly.
    Zap, I honestly didn't think I'd ever hear something like your post ever come from you. That's sad. Have you forgotten your own roots?

16. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

mmm i do :worried:

17. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

Whats the line between a decoration and a mod then?

18. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

So if you slap something in a case and not modify it at all is it a premod? If I change a wire and wire it direct then it is a mod right? :sigh:

19. Whisp[TR]

Whisp[TR] What's a Dremel?

Well my example now would be this.

If someone walks in a store and buys a cathode goes home and just plugs it in it is a pre mod.

But lets take what i did to my cathodes. I meshed them, rewired them so they where the prper length and changed out the switches and did some wire mangemnet.

That would be modding in cathodes.

But thats just my opinion.

Im happy with everyones comments since they are al valid

:)

20. Blood

Blood What's a Dremel?

Totally aggree with Whisp[TR], on that one.
    Ive got 2 hooked up right now.. 2 inverters mounted in a pin box ( lol ) , with ajoined wires, and a high quality phono plug for the Vin. and extended power cables to the actual odes. :)