1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 9800pro to 9800XT BIOS flash guide

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unclean, 24 Jun 2004.

1. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

I hit 378MHZ without sinks and can't get any higher with them, they do get warm and look the dogs but that's about it. They are thermal tape ones so epoxying them might be better.

2. AndyS

AndyS What's a Dremel?

9800pro to XT

I have flashed my 9800pro to an xt without any problems and it seems to run fine. i only have stock hsf though and was wondering wot the chances of frying it are, i plan to get a cooler for it but will run as is for now

3. -D-Cypher

-D-Cypher What's a Dremel?

Ok, I have a Radeon 9800 pro 256 mb. You said that is the same card as the xt?...so then why is there an xt.

Do I still need to find the r360 number or do all 256mb have the same one, if so, what is it.

You also said something about unlocking the temp monitor...how do i do that?

Lastly, what is the difference in overclocking the card and flashing the bios?
    I once used atitweak to clock my core frequency to 410mhz, but i got scared so i backed it down. Can the voltage increase at all if i just overclock and don't flash the bios...is that bad?

4. -D-Cypher

can anyone please help me

5. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

Glad to hear it flashed ok, there's not really a chance of "frying" it, it just may artifact after running at XT speeds under heavy gaming for a few hours.

I found it was "stable" at over XT speeds, but after a gaming session, i started to get mem artifacts and then GPU dots, as the standard heatsink was failing to disipate the heat created by the extra core voltage produced by the XT flash.

6. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

Ok, they are effectively the same card, as ATI was making too many XTs, and there was a demand for more pro's, so they are infact XTs that have been flashed "down" to Pros. As the cards are identical, when you flash it to XT, it unlocks the extra XT features like the temperature sensor and "overdrive" function.

However, this is only true of newer 256mb Pros, the older ones use the R350 core, so it is worth checking before hand. You shouldn't be afraid of using ATI tweak, as it only effects the card as long as the computer is turned on, so if it crashes, then the clock speeds are reset.

There is also no way you will increase the voltage by overclocking, so don't be concerned of "frying" the card.

7. -D-Cypher

Ok, I looked on ati's site and it said that the 256mb pro uses DDR2 Ram and the XT uses DDR1. This confused me cause i thought they were the same card.

Also, What are the benefits of flashing to xp vs. just clocking it....does it increase the voltage allowing for a more stable clock...and what is the overdrive you mentioned.

8. -D-Cypher

ATI Tool said i have the r350...Am i out of luck with flashing this?

9. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Not neccessairly. There's an option within ATItool under settings/misc/dump bios. Open the BIOS.bin file and the first 2 lines will say something about the type of memory and the actual core. This WAS explained earlier in the thread though.

As for the memory: In some games, having 256Mb of RAM proved to be no advantage at all, so ATI increased the speed of the memory, so that the 256 version was significantly better. I *think* that's what it is. To flash the BIOS, you'll want to find a BIOS with the same amount (And preferably brand) of memory as yours.

10. Listy

Listy What's a Dremel?

is there a guide on here to flash 9800 non pro to 9800 pro?

11. AndyS

AndyS What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info mate, i also have r360/hynix 9800 like you, it's still running doom 3 etc with no bother at all, was wondering if i could clock it further than xt speeds (412 core 365 ram) with only the standard sapphire hsf. if so what clocks do you recommend? Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

asus a7v8x-x
    athlon xp2400
    1gb ddr2700
    radeon 9800pro flashed to xt

Tags: