Project: Sli 'n' Shiny Wavemaster

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by coolmiester, 16 Feb 2005.

1. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

This is going to be a bit of a trial and error project and not sure how its going to turn out so decided to make a bit of a log.

The plan is to adapt a couple of Danger Den NV-68 blocks to fit 2 Gainward 6600 GT's onto an MSI K8N SLi Platinum nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard.

The problem is that the Sli slots are only 40mm apart on the m/board which means the 2 upward facing barbs on the bottom block are able to be accessed once the top block is in place.

A couple of 90 elbow barbs would have done the trick but that's far to easy IMO

So anyway, i started of with a couple of sketches which show the initial plans a bit better.

Not the best sketch up in the world but it give an idea......hopefully:)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, enough of my poor drawing skills and on with trying to beat these two blocks into submission starting with dismantling them and marking where to start drilling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new Danger Den Hi-Flow Barbs have a 9/16" UNF thread but as drilling Lucite with that size drill would probably result in tears, i made a couple of pilot holes with a 3mm drill bit followed by a 7mm and then onto the big one!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That seemed to go pretty well though i had to run the drill at quite a slow speed with the lager drill bit as it kept on catching and i think it was more good luck than good management that i didn't bust something...

/..... then it was just a case of running a 9/16" Tap through the holes and putting thread on them.........two turns in and one turn back and so on!

[​IMG]

And with the barb screwed in...
    [​IMG]

OK this is where it ends for today as i'm still waiting on a Tap to turn up so i can Tap the Plug holes properly as they are a different thread size to the Danger Den ones and i'm also waiting on the 2mm threaded bar to link the 2 blocks together so i'll leave with a couple of pictures of how they are starting to look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh.......one last thing...........the space between the two Sli slots is a lot les than what i first thought so the link hose will be a lot shorter, in fact i'm going to have to shorten both the left hand side barbs and maybe even braze them together to make a kind of threaded on each end link pipe..........i'll see.

[​IMG]

By the way its all going into the shiny Wavemaster :thumb:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 17 Feb 2005
  2. Thrillseekah

Thrillseekah What's a Dremel?

wow man sick modding.

Did you chrome that case?

3. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Dude, nice! :thumb:

Subscribed!

4. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

Great idea, to set the 2 blocks connected on this way, it saves a lot of tubing and it looks great.

The wavemaster, is it polished/chromed? And there is already hardware in it?

5. eltinio

eltinio What's a Dremel?

:clap: :clap: :thumb:

This look great, can't wait for a pic of the working setup.

Was waiting for the first one who had a watercooled sli setup.

6. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Hey Paul glad to see you got round to posting a log. I'll keep an eye on this since I'm sure it will turn out great like your other projects. Will the weight of 2 NV68s cause any problems at all?

7. unrealhippie

Retards look here - lots of info on the wavemaster he has! Im just ashamed you havent heard of it...

Oh and when coolercases getting some black/carbon techflex in - I want black!!!! grr!

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Good idea, hope it goes well for you. Are those the PolarFlo plug things? The look the same and I had heard they had some wierd "custom" thread to them.. this may solve the mystery :D

9. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

No, he polished that case with aluminium polishing goo.

And I do think that the mirrored window is a nice touch on the Wavemaster. :)

It would also be an improvement for flow I believe... but I don't really know much about watercooling.

:thumb:

10. coolmiester

Yeah this is one of two Wavemasters........the other being The Ventmaster which has also changed quite a bit since then and has a double BIX installed now.

I got a double chrome BIX to go in this one if the 2 Gainward 6600 GT's push out too much heat but i'll wait and see how it goes.

First priority is to get the dual NV-68 set-up working :)

Well spotted Firehed........i had to use these plugs as DD didn't have any ready..........they are the same size but different pitch thread......that's how they sort of screw in for pic purposes only, i got the right Tap coming :thumb:

The Wavemaster is a sort of on going project which changes from week to week but it's up and running at present................polished not chromed..........looks like chrome though :)

Hopefully i should be able to update a bit later.

11. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen What's a Dremel?

are there pci riser cards yet? i want to do this...with riser cards. yeah it'll never happen but i can dream

12. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Awsome project, count me subscribed :hip:

13. Morphes

Morphes What's a Dremel?

DAMN! that case if sooooo hot i almost creamed my pants when i saw it, damn if i had that case i could do amazing things mmmmm really makes me wanna get one and do that! How much did the chrome cost?

14. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

:rolleyes:

Anyway, looking mighty fine, really nice idea. I'll be watching this one :).

15. isisfreak

isisfreak What's a Dremel?

Looks good so far. I'm curious as to if this can be done, I'll be watching.

16. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Very nice paul, good luck ;)

17. Machine

Machine What's a Dremel?

Nice Idea :rock: , i bet we will see DD blocks for SLI like that one soon.

I love that shiny Wavemaster i realy do, im gona "emulate" that soon :idea:, hope you dont mind.

Be seen ya.

18. unrealhippie

Can I ask why you always use BIX over ThermoChill?

19. coolmiester

Well its got a single chrome BIX in at present and it was just to keep up with the shiny theme TBH :)

I'm using a Thermochill 120.2 with Noiseblockers on in the Ventmaster (not a BIX as i said above....my bad) which you can see >>here<< and >>here<<

I find them both to give around the same performance so its usually what i got more of at the time!

20. unrealhippie

I rated thread for ya, its now 5* :thumb:

Cant wait for my x850 and DFI to get here, what you putting in this one for board?