1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD to Ditch the ATI Brand

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 30 Aug 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. cjb119

cjb119 What's a Dremel?

I think this makes sense. For people like bit-tech readers we care less about its name but more how well it fairs against others. For the common consumer they couldn't care less what brand of GPU they have because they don't know what a GPU is.

3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Given the fortunes of the graphics side and the CPU side of the company...they should've ditched the AMD logo. I like the sound of ATi Phenom II X4.

4. south side sammy

south side sammy What's a Dremel?

I don't think it's a good move. When I hear AMD I associate that with processors. I hear ATI I associate that with graphics cards as I think many will for a long time.
    If "AMD" runs into problems somewhere along the line and they have a problem with one of their products it's going to be associated it with the entire AMD line and could potentially lose them money.

5. Slavedriver

Slavedriver What's a Dremel?

Absolutely ridiculous stupid move. ATI is known for making good GPUs with awful drivers. AMD is known for making awful CPUs (all thing compared). Now if we combine it we have awful product with awful drivers. I don't see ??? Profit! in that.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i too was going to say ditch the amd brand not the ati one, lol

7. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Crappy logos too tbh... Could have at least splashed out on some nice branding.

8. justicefornone

justicefornone What's a Dremel?

25 years ATi have been around, remember seeing the ATi Rage Pro back in '97 or '98 and going WOW!! Ever since had ATi cards, an 8500LE, a 9800Pro, a 3870x2 and my current 5870... Really kind of sad to think that the current range of cards could potentially be the LAST ATi cards.

Either way they had a great run, and at least the 5000 series was a HELL of goodbye!! The crazy batman cooler with the red and black kinda makes sence now. A last salute kind of thing. *sniffles into his cup of tea*

9. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Don't care what they call it as long as it performs, who cares what sticker is on the card ?

10. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Problem is people dont understand the market. I know someone who is a loyal AMD fan yet refuse to buy ATI graphics until I told him theyre produced by AMD. Also How many back to school kids look up performance charts about gpu or CPU's? The best comparison is 2.1GHz AMD vs 2.1Ghz intel with the most amount of memory on the graphics card. Batterlife is manipulated by battery size but its not as if many consumers actually see that past approx hours stat. How many people know that their wii has ATI graphics either? People do know AMD more than ATI since laptops have far more intel/AMD branding than ATI. In Currys/PCworld the other day there are far more AMD laptops than intel. Like the first example, alot of people would choose Nvidia over ATI but if that was changed to AMD I'd say some would sing to AMD over Nvidia. Personally I say its due to AMD's successful period. Yes ATI have been successful but processorsis what people know more about than graphics.

11. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Well done sir......both AMD divisions trolled in one short concise post...

Well done....

12. enciem

enciem Minimodder

What does it matter. The informed base their opinion on the quality of the product and the reviews that follow and are well aware of the merger that happened years ago.

13. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

I presume they're sick of the "rubbish ATI driver" reputation.

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Unworthy reputation, btw.
    Had more troubles with nVidia drivers than with ATIs (including the 6 month! when the nvidia drivers caused ETW to be unplayable).

15. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

the move would tend to move them closer to Intel where they have less advantage on the cpu side and awy from their graphics proposition where they hold an advantage over both intel and nvidia.

16. Matticus

Matticus ...

I was moaning loads about how terrible ATI drivers were after getting my 5770 and how my 8800gt was flawless, then I was reminded by my girlfriend that it wasn't, she witnessed my "Yes, we will go in a minute I just need to sort this bloody driver out" on maybe occasions.

This was further reinforced by my brother moaning that the very same 8800gt was crapping out and had to roll back and try beta drivers for a few days until it was playable. My friend has a gtx275 and he gets crashes in tf2 every 20 or 30 minutes with the latest drivers and rolling back only seemed to slightly help.

To me AMD cpus have always been the underdog, and us Brits love an underdog, maybe they are going for blanket domination of the British market :p

For me there are 3 times of people, those in the know, those not, and idiots. Those in the know will see this as nothing more than a name change and be on their merry way. Those not in the know will go into PC world and get told to buy that one, and be on their merry way. Idiots will always be idiots and never let anyone else just be on their merry way.

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Had those too with a GTX260.

18. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

It really doesn't matter as long as the products as good. If in 2011 we see a range of AMD Raedon 6000 series GPUs that blow the socks off the competition, no-one's going to give two hoots about the branding.

Who it matters to are people who are actually swayed by branding: the great uninformed masses. And to them, a unified brand is always more powerful than multiple confusing ones, so I say it's a good move by AMD.

If you're a BT reader and you care about what sticker AMD put on their GPUs, you clearly don't need to be here.

Guest-16 likes this.
  19. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

A rose by any other name...

Who gives a damn what it's called, why get sentimental over hardware manufacturer naming?

20. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Bad move IMO. The ATI brand name is a well known one, not just by enthusiasts (I don't think it matters there), but also by consumers who at least have a little bit of knowledge.

Personally, I'm like most of you guys; I don't mind what brand or whatever my card is, as long as the performance is the best I can get for the money.

Tags: Add Tags